The Student Room Group

Oxford Brookes - Accounting and Finance

Who is going to be studying A&F for 2017/18 at Brookes?
Reply 1
Hi, I've put accounting and finance as my first choice at Brookes.
Reply 2
Do you know what accommodation you will or have applied for??
Reply 3
I've applied already and put Paul Kent down as my first choice, what about you?
Reply 4
I put down Clive Booth ensuite as my first. Did you get an unconditional?
Reply 5
Yeah, did you?
Reply 6
yeah, are you doing accounting a level or are you going into it completely new because I am??
Reply 7
I'm doing business, maths and finance at a-level so this will all be completely new to me, what a-levels are you doing?
Reply 8
Business, economics and psychology. The only thing vaguely similar to a&f is business.
Reply 9
is economics interesting? it wasn't offered at my school as an a-level so I'm considering looking into economics modules when I start Brookes so I was wondering what it's like?
It depends what part of economics as it is split up into micro and macro so micro is about firms and the market industry and macro is about the economy as a whole. At the moment it is really interesting because a lot of what we cover is about the UK's situation so you get to understand what the government are doing and why. I am probably going to take a module in economics. How is finance because at my college accounting and/or finance wasn't offered either?
In the first year it was mainly about personal finance (e.g. different types of products, the different types of providers customers could go with) which is going to be really helpful for going out into the real world, but this year has mainly focused on personal sustainability and the sustainability of the financial services industry.
Oh that actually sounds really good, I did a mini qualification in personal finance a year ago and that was basically about taxes, banking and money. Are you doing AQA business new spec??
I'm doing AQA Applied Business but I don't think I'm on the new spec as it looks like this is the last year it will be available, what about you?
Ohh I'm doing the new spec of business which is the only thing close to what we will be doing next year, it has a few elements of financial performance but that's. What do you do in applied business??
Last year McDonald's was the business we focused on so our coursework looked at how they achieve their aims and objectives and how they manage the different types of employees they have, whilst our exam was on the financial planning of a business (given to us in a pre-seen case study). This year for our coursework we had to create all of the documents we would need for creating our own business and the other coursework was creating a marketing campaign for a local business, whilst our exam is on managing people. So I have done some financial stuff but not nearly as much as we'll be doing next year.
Oh we don't go into much detail about individual businesses we tend to look at business as a whole the different functional areas, culture, and finance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending