The Student Room Group

A GCSE Student In Need Of Help!!

I am literally so bad at maths i am not even exaggerating, but i need it to help me able to do my courses in a levels. I need a 6 which is equivalent to a B to do the courses which are Biology and Chemistry but i can barely scrape a pass and i have literally 2 month left till my GCSEs and i cant seem to make any improvements , in class i can cope with the tasks but some topics are ridiculous but when i actually do the test i completely fail and have a break down. I know this is so long but i just need advice on maths because i really want to take it for A Levels too as it will help me open more doors in the medical career. Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Rejwana16
I am literally so bad at maths i am not even exaggerating, but i need it to help me able to do my courses in a levels. I need a 6 which is equivalent to a B to do the courses which are Biology and Chemistry but i can barely scrape a pass and i have literally 2 month left till my GCSEs and i cant seem to make any improvements , in class i can cope with the tasks but some topics are ridiculous but when i actually do the test i completely fail and have a break down. I know this is so long but i just need advice on maths because i really want to take it for A Levels too as it will help me open more doors in the medical career. Thank you :smile:

Get yourself a tutor if you can!! They can go through everything and anything that you dont understand which your teacher may not be able to help with if theyre too busy. My target grade throughout the two years of GCSEs were C and occasionally D grades and managed to get a high B. 100% recommend searching for a good tutor.
Reply 2

Well... there's this amazing Youtube channel 'HEGARTYMATHS'...i used it in my iGCSEs like months before the exam and i went from a D in my mocks to a B in the actual exams... so it's really helpful.... Good Luck :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by AS_Guy
Well... there's this amazing Youtube channel 'HEGARTYMATHS'...i used it in my iGCSEs like months before the exam and i went from a D in my mocks to a B in the actual exams... so it's really helpful.... Good Luck :smile:

I have used their videos but it is quite confusing especially learning the new spec which is the 9-1 higher, but i will give it ago again tysm
Reply 4
Original post by AS_Guy

Also that jump is amazing congratulations !
Reply 5
Original post by elu
Get yourself a tutor if you can!! They can go through everything and anything that you dont understand which your teacher may not be able to help with if theyre too busy. My target grade throughout the two years of GCSEs were C and occasionally D grades and managed to get a high B. 100% recommend searching for a good tutor.

Yes my maths teacher is planning to do interventions but the school doesnt let her for some odd reason, and i talked to a support leader about looking for a tutor and they said it is quite expensive to get one, so fingers crossed the maths interventions will happen soon, and congratulations on getting an amazing grade !
Hiii, I'm a year 11 student myself going through exactly what you are going through. I am taking maths next year along with all the other sciences and I am only getting a 5😭😭. So what I have started doing is videos, you said you find Hegarty Maths confusing but I use a different site which has adapted to the new specification. I will link the page below this message. I have litreally started from scratch and am trying to make notes on his videos. They're all in order, I hope they can help you too :smile:

www.m4ths.com/gcse-videos-higherfoundation.html
Being strategic in maths exams is also important. Every time you see a question you can't do, leave it and move on, doing all the ones you can do first. Then go back to the beginning and start working through the harder stuff. If you have no hope of solving a question, guess and move on so you don't waste time!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Mathsgenie has everything you need! It has the new 9-1 scheme, in addition to many questions and easy to understand videos! 100% recommend.

You don't need Maths A-level for a medical degree, so if you don't feel up to it, or you feel like it'll be a massive drain, I wouldn't recommend taking it.
Reply 10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkbJNlzOPiA&t=404s
Reply 11
Original post by Sneedshelp
Hiii, I'm a year 11 student myself going through exactly what you are going through. I am taking maths next year along with all the other sciences and I am only getting a 5😭😭. So what I have started doing is videos, you said you find Hegarty Maths confusing but I use a different site which has adapted to the new specification. I will link the page below this message. I have litreally started from scratch and am trying to make notes on his videos. They're all in order, I hope they can help you too :smile:

www.m4ths.com/gcse-videos-higherfoundation.html

Thank you so much ill definitely give it a go! :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by _gcx
You don't need Maths A-level for a medical degree, so if you don't feel up to it, or you feel like it'll be a massive drain, I wouldn't recommend taking it.

I am planning to drop it when i go for my enrolment day, but when i look at job sites and what you need to get in, it says maths will open doors for you. So I'll see if I am going to improve in maths if not im going to drop it in A Levels. Thank You :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by BringMoreCoffee
Being strategic in maths exams is also important. Every time you see a question you can't do, leave it and move on, doing all the ones you can do first. Then go back to the beginning and start working through the harder stuff. If you have no hope of solving a question, guess and move on so you don't waste time!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll try that from now on thank you !
Reply 14
Original post by Mikos
Mathsgenie has everything you need! It has the new 9-1 scheme, in addition to many questions and easy to understand videos! 100% recommend.

Thanks for the recommendation ill check it out :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest