The Student Room Group

Should I even bother applying to Cambridge?

Hii guys, I'm currently in Year 12 and will be applying this September... i would like to study chemical engineering.... but the subjects i do (Physics, Chemistry, Maths) restrict me from applying for engineering at Cambridge as i don't do Further Maths... but I can still apply for Chemical Engineering via Natural Sciences.... the real problem is my iGCSEs weren't good at all... like I had 1A 4Bs 3Cs.... most people say Cambridge doesn't look that much at GCSEs... but is just 1A (Physics) sufficient provided i get 3A*s predicted or will it just be a waste of an application... n ya our school does linear A-Levels.... so i can't give AS Levels... Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by AS_Guy
Hii guys, I'm currently in Year 12 and will be applying this September... i would like to study chemical engineering.... but the subjects i do (Physics, Chemistry, Maths) restrict me from applying for engineering at Cambridge as i don't do Further Maths... but I can still apply for Chemical Engineering via Natural Sciences.... the real problem is my iGCSEs weren't good at all... like I had 1A 4Bs 3Cs.... most people say Cambridge doesn't look that much at GCSEs... but is just 1A (Physics) sufficient provided i get 3A*s predicted or will it just be a waste of an application... n ya our school does linear A-Levels.... so i can't give AS Levels... Thanks in advance :smile:

Not gonna lie mate those results will probably hurt your chances quite a bit
Reply 2
Original post by RadicalCentrist
Not gonna lie mate those results will probably hurt your chances quite a bit

Even with 3A* predictions?...
Reply 3
:bump:
Reply 4
Original post by AS_Guy

Please don't bump threads.

GCSEs are, indeed, not so important. You will also have the NSAA (Natural Sciences Admissions Assessment) to help strengthen your application.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AS_Guy

Sorry to break it to you, but literally 90% of their applicants have 3A* predictions. You need results, not expected results :smile:
Reply 6
If you did apply it'd have to be at the end of year 13 (September 2018) when you've completed your A-levels, Cambridge tend to give out interviews or have assessments which is your chance to prove yourself. Get the personal statement right and get a reference highlighting your upwards trajectory and you'd have a good chance
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Doonesbury
Please don't bump threads.

GCSEs are, indeed, not so important. You will also have the NSAA (Natural Sciences Admissions Assessment) to help strengthen your application.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending