The Student Room Group

Are TSR forums too politically correct?

Poll

TSR forums too politically correct?

You get insults thrown at you rather than debate for having any sort on non politically correct view, for example thinking men are people and deserve rights or that gays shouldn't be stealing cells from straight people to make babies to prove a political point.

Discuss.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I do think TSR is further astray into the PC side but, judging from some of your grievances, I wouldn't class them so much as politically incorrent but rather deserving of the insults as they're quite frankly idiotic.

gays shouldn't be stealing cells from straight people to make babies to prove a political point.
Reply 2
I think some people don't want to inhance their general knowledge when having a debate, but rather prove how they're always right so they simply insult the opinion of others because it doesn't match their personal views.
Reply 3
I think it is the lack of debating skills that result in the description that you have provided or it's the people who think they are hard and want to be edgy on the internet. This is an internet forum after all so the keyboard warriors will be out in force thinking throwing an insult rather than debating the actual argument is acceptable.

Or they're like this.

(edited 7 years ago)
Yes, unfortunately. I've only been around a few days but have had insults thrown at me by numerous far-left posters just because some of my opinions lie slightly right of centre.

We need to encourage free debate and not let the liberals have free reign.
Original post by Chad-Thundercock
You get insults thrown at you rather than debate for having any sort on non politically correct view, for example thinking men are people and deserve rights or that gays shouldn't be stealing cells from straight people to make babies to prove a political point.

Whilst I don't agree with slinging insults, I suspect you'd find people were more receptive to a constructive debate if the argument weren't phrased in such an antagonising manner. Whatever your view on same-sex parenting, gay people are not 'stealing' from straight people, and people are understandably upset when they're portrayed to be doing so.
That's because most of the people who do get embroiled in arguments and debates here are nothing but keyboard warriors who have no desire to logically present an argument and resort to insulting and pathetic name calling because they cannot think of any points that would make them 'right' and instead insult people so they can easily back away from a debate. Whilst I do think TSR is a bit too PC, it is to prevent people from not going overboard as the site attracts a lot of trolls and people who have nothing better to do and most of the time this is 15 year old kids.
Reply 8
Didn't you make a thread earlier saying that gay people shouldn't use sperm banks but could adopt because those kids would become criminals anyway.
Original post by Mr. Bojangles
Yes, unfortunately. I've only been around a few days but have had insults thrown at me by numerous far-left posters just because some of my opinions lie slightly right of centre.

We need to encourage free debate and not let the liberals have free reign.

Original post by Chad-Thundercock
You get insults thrown at you rather than debate for having any sort on non politically correct view, for example thinking men are people and deserve rights or that gays shouldn't be stealing cells from straight people to make babies to prove a political point. Discuss.

The majority of the abuse on this forum is perpetrated by lefties/feminists...This speaks volumes for what they stand for and what they represent.

if you so much as start a thread questioning their belief system or arguing for the rights of men, be sure you will wind up being abused or insulted and if that doesn't stop you from expressing your opinion, they will carry on reporting you for every single comment that you make in hopes of getting you banned.

They do not have a case for their cause. Debate does not serve their interests, neither does exposure or criticism. They have a lot to loose from allowing people to be critical of their brittle ideologies. They have a lot to loose from allowing people free speech. They have a lot to loose from allowing people to expose their evils. So what other options do they have but to intimidate or block you into silence?
(edited 7 years ago)
Or change the subject of the thread to talk about how they've given up masturbation.
Given its a student forum i would say no. A surpirsingly amount of woke anti PC / Anti Islam is religion of peace folk on here. Also the moderation overall isnt too shabby given the climate of sensitivity and pc we live in
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Given its a student forum i would say no. A surpirsingly amount of woke anti PC / Anti Islam is religion of peace folk on here. Also the moderation overall isnt too shabby given the climate of sensitivity and pc we live in

Well, unless you're talking about Islam and terrorism, in which case it's easy to get carded, or offending Jews, in which case you can get away with murder.
Original post by Jammy Duel
Well, unless you're talking about Islam and terrorism, in which case it's easy to get carded, or offending Jews, in which case you can get away with murder.

Its rife everywhere though and i think that most sensible islam discussions on here the mods are mostly ok. Sure you get some terrible modding on here from but compared to other places and given its a lefty studenty forum, its surprisingly pro discussion of "sensitive" topics imo
Original post by Tootles
Or change the subject of the thread to talk about how they've given up masturbation.

There is no need 2 b upset :devil:
[video="youtube;ygr5AHufBN4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygr5AHufBN4[/video]
Original post by l'etranger
There is no need 2 b upset :devil:
[video="youtube;ygr5AHufBN4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygr5AHufBN4[/video]

I aren't, because I doesn't get the guilts for my masturbations.
Original post by Tootles
I aren't, because I doesn't get the guilts for my masturbations.

It's not about guilt.
Reply 17
Original post by UWS
Or they're like this.

That photo is ********!
I'd never have a communist poster on my wall.
I would have to say no for two reasons or really the same reason. Context. I don't frequent this forum enough to have an opinion in and of itself.

However compared to a great deal of the internet it's not too bad. A lot of forums that used to have full freespeech have become oppressive. You wouldn't have anything like the threads, posts or discussions you have here.

Compared to reddit for example I would say that this forum is fairly non-PC. It tends to allow all viewpoints and doesn't remove posts for not being high quality content.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending