Turn on thread page Beta

Final Choice watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    After thinking over this for a long time I am now studying these subjects in the 6th form:

Art
    English Literature
    German
    History

Does that look good? Obviously I enjoy all of them greatly, but would Unis respect these? I'm considering Law, Journalism, or anything similar at Uni so will the above be useful in that respect?

(Original post by Juxtapiped)
    After thinking over this for a long time I am now studying these subjects in the 6th form:

Art
    English Literature
    German
    History

Does that look good? Obviously I enjoy all of them greatly, but would Unis respect these? I'm considering Law, Journalism, or anything similar at Uni so will the above be useful in that respect?
    As there are generally no set subjects (more useful ones) for law, then they look fine.

Sprichst du Deutsch, denn?
    Ich war vor zwei monaten in Deutschland.

hmmm those subjects look quite fun,i was thinkin of doing law,arent there any specific subjects u have to do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered)
    hmmm those subjects look quite fun,i was thinkin of doing law,arent there any specific subjects u have to do?
    I don't think there are any specific subjects for Law - but they do recommend English and History is said to be useful for it; and a language is highly valued.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there are any specific subjects for Law - but they do recommend English and History is said to be useful for it; and a language is highly valued.
    Waaayy back when I was an ickle year 10, the school had a careers fair and since I had no idea what I wanted to do, so I looked at the law stand. They said history is useful, as it teaches you analytical skills. They also liked English, but said there are no set subjects. I have a friend who is going to study law this year and she did History, French, Business Studies at A2 and Russian AS - she didn't have any problems cos she didn't have English.

ReputationRep:
    you know im doing my gcse's next year but i actually havent taken history,instead i took business studies,is that ok? or shud i take history at a level? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anna)
    you know im doing my gcse's next year but i actually havent taken history,instead i took business studies,is that ok? or shud i take history at a level? :confused:
    You can take History at a-level having not even done it at GCSE according to my school. However, there are no subject requirements for law so I wouldn't worry about having taken Business Studies, after all this subject teahces you the logic and analysis you need for Law.

ReputationRep:
    You can take History at a-level having not even done it at GCSE according to my school. However, there are no subject requirements for law so I wouldn't worry about having taken Business Studies, after all this subject teahces you the logic and analysis you need for Law.
    yes i suppose it does. there are different streams u can go into if u want to do law. Im not sure if i shud take french further...idnt think i need it but i do enjoy the subject very much.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently at Cambridge they encourage you to look at law in france as well - so french would be a great subject to take for it!

ReputationRep:
    Apparently at Cambridge they encourage you to look at law in france as well - so french would be a great subject to take for it!
    they make u look at france? i didnt no thattttttt!!!! oooooo im OK at french,i can understand it but just cant seem to speak or write it..... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anna)
    they make u look at france? i didnt no thattttttt!!!! oooooo im OK at french,i can understand it but just cant seem to speak or write it..... :rolleyes:
    They don't make you - but they suggest it as a way to extend your studies:

"Although the greater part of our course, naturally, is concerned with English law, you will have the opportunity to study other legal systems, including civil law, the law of the European Union, and international law. A number of our students also spend time studying in a European university and a chosen few can even gain a French Master's degree from the University of Paris II as well as a Cambridge BA."

There seems to evidently be an emphasis on European law - so languages would certainly be of some value.

As for what subjects you need the Cambridge site simply says:

"It doesn't matter whether you have a background in the arts, or in the sciences, or a mix of the two. What you will need is a genuine interest in the law and sufficient motivation to study this tough intellectual discipline."

ReputationRep:
    yeah well hopefully ill get the grades,but if i dont then im afraid ill be one depressed sod living on this earth.........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anna)
    yeah well hopefully ill get the grades,but if i dont then im afraid ill be one depressed sod living on this earth.........
    Are you doing GCSEs or A-Levels. What subjects are you taking and what are you predicted?

ReputationRep:
    Are you doing GCSEs or A-Levels. What subjects are you taking and what are you predicted?
    well, im doing my GCSE's and these are my predicted grades:

English and Eng Lit: A*
    Science: A/A
    GNVQ(Euivalent to 4 gcse's) ICT: Merit
    Technology(resistant materials): B
    French: B
    Punjabi: A*
    Art: A*
    Business Studies: A

(Original post by Anna)

I thought GNVQ was 2 GCSE'S and aren't you doing Maths?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anna)

I'm 100% sure you will get into the 6th form with such grades - and should you continue to work as hard as you evidently are you'll no doubt get into a Law Degree with ease.

@ Juxtapiped.

Ich dachte du wolltest Deutsch AS machen. Echt? Wir koennen gern Deutsch sprechen oder....?

Bitte anworten!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered)
    @ Juxtapiped.

Ich dachte du wolltest Deutsch AS machen. Echt? Wir koennen gern Deutsch sprechen oder....?

Bitte anworten!

I am unsure what "dachte" meancs but I seem to think you are saying something like......

I (something) you would like to do AS German. Really? We can speak German well or......

I'm a little confused.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anna)

You chose Punjabi over Maths? :confused:

I am unsure what "dachte" meancs but I seem to think you are saying something like......

I (something) you would like to do AS German. Really? We can speak German well or......

I'm a little confused.
    I may well have made a mistake, but;

Dachte = thought

So...

I thought you wanted to do AS German. Really? We can (gladly) speak German or.....?

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.