The Student Room Group
Nope. You should look into London Metropolitan, much higher ranked.
Reply 3
hey!

Are you American by chance? My aunt works at LSE in graduate admissions and she often speaks highly of KCL; I think one of her colleague friends is actually a KCL graduate. I'd say its a pretty great place, but whether or not its worth going to really depends more on your circumstances. If you're an international student, have you gotten any offers from universities in your home country? I would consider those in context while making this decision. For example if you've got an offer from a home university and its about the same calibre and much cheaper I would say don't go to UCL. However, if you haven't gotten any offers or KCL is the best you've got, go for it. Also, consider if you really like the course and student culture there. Like I said, it's a great place to study and will get you into good jobs and grad schools but it's hard to say whether its worth it or not without knowing more about other offers you have.
Reply 4
Original post by zee35
hey!

Are you American by chance? My aunt works at LSE in graduate admissions and she often speaks highly of KCL; I think one of her colleague friends is actually a KCL graduate. I'd say its a pretty great place, but whether or not its worth going to really depends more on your circumstances. If you're an international student, have you gotten any offers from universities in your home country? I would consider those in context while making this decision. For example if you've got an offer from a home university and its about the same calibre and much cheaper I would say don't go to UCL. However, if you haven't gotten any offers or KCL is the best you've got, go for it. Also, consider if you really like the course and student culture there. Like I said, it's a great place to study and will get you into good jobs and grad schools but it's hard to say whether its worth it or not without knowing more about other offers you have.

Thanks for your long reply!
Haha, I'm in Canada. We haven't quite gotten offers yet here.
I'm mostly interested in experiencing another culture, meeting new people from around the world, and completing my degree in 3 years. It's interesting, what you're saying about your aunt, since LSE is quite highly regarded as well.
Most unis in Canada are fairly easy to get into, and don't have much brand value internationally (except, perhaps a choice few). I just question whether or not KCL is much better in that department, reputation-wise internationally.
I may be biased because I graduated from KCL recently but will honestly tell you, it is so worth it. First of all, it's an amazing school - I'm from the US, and going there for my undergrad was the best choice I ever made. I loved experiencing London through King's so if you want that new experience, take your chance! And as for how it will benefit you afterward, the reputation is stellar for a reason. I've grown up in academia (in international settings outside the US as well) and have always heard its praise. Also, the job I have now in Washington has me constantly engaging with some really renowned, respected, reputable individuals - who have directly told me that my King's degree set me apart from others - not kidding! It was the different exposure I had, and the reputation of the school and its research, that made my job applications stronger and ultimately made me a more competitive applicant. The network you can make is also exceptional, especially for political economy - it'll help your career a lot being in that global setting. Also, on top of all these things you have the chance to make such beautiful memories in a beautiful place, so I say go for it!
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by lolzahra
I may be biased because I graduated from KCL recently but will honestly tell you, it is so worth it. First of all, it's an amazing school - I'm from the US, and going there for my undergrad was the best choice I ever made. I loved experiencing London through King's so if you want that new experience, take your chance! And as for how it will benefit you afterward, the reputation is stellar for a reason. I've grown up in academia (in international settings outside the US as well) and have always heard its praise. Also, the job I have now in Washington has me constantly engaging with some really renowned, respected, reputable individuals - who have directly told me that my King's degree set me apart from others - not kidding! It was the different exposure I had, and the reputation of the school and its research, that made my job applications stronger and ultimately made me a more competitive applicant. The network you can make is also exceptional, especially for political economy - it'll help your career a lot being in that global setting. Also, on top of all these things you have the chance to make such beautiful memories in a beautiful place, so I say go for it!

This thread is 5yrs old.... and you post like you're on Kings' payroll....

Latest

Trending

Trending