Deferring entry after offer because of illness Watch

Lizzipth_Floyd
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello, looking for some advice because I am getting terribly anxious about this.

I have received a conditional offer from my preferred university for 2017 september entry. However I am currently in hospital after becoming unwell and it might take a while to recover. I am planning to finish the rest of my access course from a distance and just attend for exams in order to still get the qualification needed to meet offer. I may receive psychological treatment if funding is agreed during the latter half of this year into next year, which would make it extremely difficult to undergo a nursing degree. So, I was hoping it was possible to defer my entry until 2018 even though I hold an offer for 2017 entry?

I realise I need to call the university but just wanted some general advice first. How possible is it that they will let me do this? I don't want them to withdraw the offer. Should I write to them or call? How much detail do I need to give? Has anybody done this before? I just wanted to be in the best place possible (physically/mentally) before doing this degree because I am truly passionate about it.

Thanks in advance.
Juno
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Lizzipth_Floyd)
Hello, looking for some advice because I am getting terribly anxious about this.

I have received a conditional offer from my preferred university for 2017 september entry. However I am currently in hospital after becoming unwell and it might take a while to recover. I am planning to finish the rest of my access course from a distance and just attend for exams in order to still get the qualification needed to meet offer. I may receive psychological treatment if funding is agreed during the latter half of this year into next year, which would make it extremely difficult to undergo a nursing degree. So, I was hoping it was possible to defer my entry until 2018 even though I hold an offer for 2017 entry?

I realise I need to call the university but just wanted some general advice first. How possible is it that they will let me do this? I don't want them to withdraw the offer. Should I write to them or call? How much detail do I need to give? Has anybody done this before? I just wanted to be in the best place possible (physically/mentally) before doing this degree because I am truly passionate about it.

Thanks in advance.
You can either phone them or send them an email. In your situation it's probably best to email - that way, you'll know you can include everything you want to, without health issues/hospital staff making a phonecall difficult.

You have a good reason for deferring - it's not like you're planning a year off to get drunk and have constant parties. So the uni should be open to at least considering your request. If you have a conditional offer, you'll still need to meet the conditions by August 31st 2017 though.

In the email, you don't need to give too much detail. If they want anything further they can always ask for it! You just need to say what you've said here - you're currently in hospital, you don't know fully what treatment you're getting next year, but you're still planning to finish the qualification. Remember to include your UCAS personal ID and course name.
Lizzipth_Floyd
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Juno)
You can either phone them or send them an email. In your situation it's probably best to email - that way, you'll know you can include everything you want to, without health issues/hospital staff making a phonecall difficult.

You have a good reason for deferring - it's not like you're planning a year off to get drunk and have constant parties. So the uni should be open to at least considering your request. If you have a conditional offer, you'll still need to meet the conditions by August 31st 2017 though.

In the email, you don't need to give too much detail. If they want anything further they can always ask for it! You just need to say what you've said here - you're currently in hospital, you don't know fully what treatment you're getting next year, but you're still planning to finish the qualification. Remember to include your UCAS personal ID and course name.
Hello. Thanks so much for your reply - very helpful. Do you think I should accept/firm the offer on UCAS and then ask to defer, or ask to defer before accepting the offer?
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Lizzipth_Floyd)
Hello. Thanks so much for your reply - very helpful. Do you think I should accept/firm the offer on UCAS and then ask to defer, or ask to defer before accepting the offer?
They won't withdraw the offer if you discuss the possibility of deferring.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are cats selfish