The Student Room Group

My housemate's ignorance really irritates me

This is probably one of the meanest things I've written but my housemate is so ignorant and materialistic about the world and it annoys me so much. It's just so opposite to what I believe in. We are friends from before we moved in together but I guess we didn't spend that much time together. I do really like her and think she's a lovely person but when it comes to world issues or the bigger picture or like materialistic things I just can't deal with it. I guess I have been surrounded by like minded people as my closer friends but. UGHT.
Reply 1
So what is the problem? Being a materialist isn't a sin and doesn't automatically make her a bad person. It is just another philosophical view on the life. It seems like you're calling her ignorant only because your views are different from hers.
Sounds like you have the problem!
Physical Removal
Original post by Anonymous
This is probably one of the meanest things I've written but my housemate is so ignorant and materialistic about the world and it annoys me so much. It's just so opposite to what I believe in. We are friends from before we moved in together but I guess we didn't spend that much time together. I do really like her and think she's a lovely person but when it comes to world issues or the bigger picture or like materialistic things I just can't deal with it. I guess I have been surrounded by like minded people as my closer friends but. UGHT.

And you probably 18/19 and finding your way in the world.

I am a bit older and I find you youngsters are so stupid and idealistic and naive. There is nothing wrong with you - you are just developing opinions. embrace it
Reply 5
Original post by agrew
So what is the problem? Being a materialist isn't a sin and doesn't automatically make her a bad person. It is just another philosophical view on the life. It seems like you're calling her ignorant only because your views are different from hers.

I never said she was a bad person, in fact I said she was a lovely person. I don't enjoy spending time with her or talking to her as I find her materialistic conversations boring and shallow. One could argue that it is a sin as the wastefulness of it is destroying the planet but there you go. I'm not commenting on that. I'm saying how I am finding the living situation difficult due to her personality. Disliking someones views is legitimate. For example I would feel similarly about spending time with an over zealous religious person.
Reply 6
Original post by squeakysquirrel
And you probably 18/19 and finding your way in the world.

I am a bit older and I find you youngsters are so stupid and idealistic and naive. There is nothing wrong with you - you are just developing opinions. embrace it

No, I'm not. I'm quite a few years older than that.

Don't be so patronising to 18/19 year olds.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending