The Student Room Group

School finding out?

Hi,
I have to go and see my school's student protection person tomorrow because one of my teachers saw some old self harm scars on my arm, although they aren't completely white yet (still slightly red). If I was to say that it's in the past and no longer an issue, which is actually the truth, what would they do? Would they leave it? Would they phone my parents? I'm 17, 18 in a few months. I'm really nervous about what might happen. Many thanks :smile:
In my experience they won't tell your parents - I was 16 almost 17 when my school found out and they kept it confidential for a number of months until they realised that it wasn't in the past and was still a big issue for me! I hope that they do respect your privacy :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,
I have to go and see my school's student protection person tomorrow because one of my teachers saw some old self harm scars on my arm, although they aren't completely white yet (still slightly red). If I was to say that it's in the past and no longer an issue, which is actually the truth, what would they do? Would they leave it? Would they phone my parents? I'm 17, 18 in a few months. I'm really nervous about what might happen. Many thanks :smile:

At 17 you can take responsibility for medical documents etc so it would be reasonable for them to not tell your parents. With that in mind and the fact it is not an active issue right now I would think there's a strong chance they will not tell your parents. You can always ask them not to to be safe. I believe they need to tell you that they are telling anybody else anyway so they should tell you even if they do want to tell your parents.
They may want you to see somebody like a counsellor and I would advise you give it a go especially if you haven't had help before. You can take control of it so can sign any documents without parents and stop any time you want.

Hope that helps and i'm glad it's no longer an active issue for you. Well done for that too, it takes a lot of strength to stop something like that :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest