lucymayturner
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm looking at uni courses, i found BA (Hons) Primary Education at Nottingham. It says i need a GCSE in science but i don't have one. Does anyone know if i can get past this or apply anyway? I really want to be a primary school teacher but this is holding me back. Any help or experience would be really appreciated, thank you .
clarkey500
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I believe the reason why many education courses require science is because they lead to QTS (Qualified Teacher Status) and science GCSE is needed for that. To get QTS you need placements in schools though and looking at their website for the course there is no mention of placements nor a DBS check which would suggest it doesn't lead to it. :confused:

QTS is not needed to teach in academies or public schools; however it is needed for mainstream state schools, so unless you could get a job into one of those straight away, which would be unlikely with no experience working in schools, you'd have to get a PGCE, SCITT or something similar. Most PGCE (not sure about SCITT) courses require GCSE science though.

However, you may need to retake a science GCSE I'm afraid; however most institutions say 'a science subject' so core science, biology, chemistry or physics should all count. I'm not sure about BTEC science though; you would have to check with the universities you're applying for.

Hope this helps
lucymayturner
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Thank you , i did get my Biology at a C grade in core and additional science. I just didn't get C in Chemistry or Physics therefore not getting the qualification. Do you reckon i could just use my Biology GCSEs even though they aren't a stand alone GCSE?
(Original post by clarkey500)
I believe the reason why many education courses require science is because they lead to QTS (Qualified Teacher Status) and science GCSE is needed for that. To get QTS you need placements in schools though and looking at their website for the course there is no mention of placements nor a DBS check which would suggest it doesn't lead to it. :confused:

QTS is not needed to teach in academies or public schools; however it is needed for mainstream state schools, so unless you could get a job into one of those straight away, which would be unlikely with no experience working in schools, you'd have to get a PGCE, SCITT or something similar. Most PGCE (not sure about SCITT) courses require GCSE science though.

However, you may need to retake a science GCSE I'm afraid; however most institutions say 'a science subject' so core science, biology, chemistry or physics should all count. I'm not sure about BTEC science though; you would have to check with the universities you're applying for.

Hope this helps
clarkey500
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by lucymayturner)
Thank you , i did get my Biology at a C grade in core and additional science. I just didn't get C in Chemistry or Physics therefore not getting the qualification. Do you reckon i could just use my Biology GCSEs even though they aren't a stand alone GCSE?
You would have to check with the universities, some might be lenient, however you will probably need to get an actual GCSE in the subject I'm afraid. Some unis may be lenient with a D but that may be pushing it.
username5458506
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, I understand this was from 3 years ago - but I just wanted to know if you did end up doing the primary education course you wanted? I’m in this situation right now, failed physics gcse but passed biology & chemistry.
Lydia Taylor (YSJU Student Ambassador)
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by amouraaa)
Hi, I understand this was from 3 years ago - but I just wanted to know if you did end up doing the primary education course you wanted? I’m in this situation right now, failed physics gcse but passed biology & chemistry.
Hello!

I would recommend that you get in touch with the admission departments of the universities you would like to study at. However, as the entry requirements for Primary Education are Government standards, universities often cannot be lenient.

If you failed the physics paper, meaning that you did not achieve a core science GCSE, you may need to resit. However, if you have a full GCSE qualification in biology and a full GCSE qualification in chemistry - you may still be eligible for a Primary Ed course!

If YSJ is on your list, you can send your qualifications to [email protected] and they would be more than happy to have a look and let you know! They are also happy to give you advice, even if you are not applying to us!

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any more questions!
Lydia
username5458506
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Lydia Taylor (YSJU Student Ambassador))
Hello!

I would recommend that you get in touch with the admission departments of the universities you would like to study at. However, as the entry requirements for Primary Education are Government standards, universities often cannot be lenient.

If you failed the physics paper, meaning that you did not achieve a core science GCSE, you may need to resit. However, if you have a full GCSE qualification in biology and a full GCSE qualification in chemistry - you may still be eligible for a Primary Ed course!

If YSJ is on your list, you can send your qualifications to [email protected] and they would be more than happy to have a look and let you know! They are also happy to give you advice, even if you are not applying to us!

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any more questions!
Lydia
Thank you for replying. I will contact them and see, I’ve received an offer from one of my choices - but not my first choice. I also did manage to get a 4 for biology and chemistry, which I’m sure means I’ve received a qualification for them? But yes, hopefully will contact them, thank you again for replying!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (63)
12.48%
Virtual campus tours/open days (118)
23.37%
Live streaming events (46)
9.11%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (49)
9.7%
A uni comparison tool (116)
22.97%
An in-person event when available (113)
22.38%