The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I find it kind of redundant tbh. I mean Feminism is supposed to stand for gender equality right?

Just support Egalitarianism, what's the need for a new specific movement. The "movement" has a bad rep online as well.
In the media I think largely because there isn't an easily identifiable culprit for genuine mens issues like child custody, higher rates of suicide and certain shared issues like spousal abuse generally come across as more minor (atleast in the physical sense, I read some where that women are more likely to resort to violence than men but the results of men resorting to violence were orders of magnitude more severe when it did happen, need to find source). So as a results its not as catchy so they report it less.

Online on the other hand is most likely because atleast in my experience they never seem to be talking about issues like the above but just *****ing about women.
If you're a man with issues that you think you can blame on society the issue is you not society.
Original post by Mathemagicien
Its like asking why "white rights" or "asian rights" aren't talked about, instead of black rights, the thing is that black people are oppressed by whites, not vice versa.

By Asian I assume you mean East Asian?

If so, I disagree. Being racist to East Asians is mostly seen as acceptable and has no where near the backlash that being racist to a Black person would get.
Because they are rarely campaigning for the right reasons. When was the last time you heard a men's right activists campaigning about female on male rape? Or indeed a male on male rape? The last one seems to have become a social norm, a joke ["don't drop the soap"]. What about the fact that males are less likely to get attention let alone justice as a victim of domestic abuse?

Be honest, have you ever heard of men's rights activists or "meninists" raising awareness of things that actually matter?
Original post by Mathemagicien
Its like asking why "white rights" or "asian rights" aren't talked about, instead of black rights, the thing is that black people are oppressed by whites, not vice versa.

Black people are not oppressed...
Original post by Shootme
Is the idea of men having issues so insane?

Which mens rights are you talking about?
Original post by Shootme
Is the idea of men having issues so insane?

You do not have to call yourself a feminist or a meninist in order to support the equality of the sexes. You can just do it.
Original post by Jesusfaps
If you're a man with issues that you think you can blame on society the issue is you not society.

So the fact that only 18.3% of custodial parents are fathers isn't a potential societal issue?
I've heard quite positive stories helping men's rights before in the media, for example supporting men with child custody (which is favoured towards the mother).

Normally, the media only villianises meninists which I have no problem against as they just want to oppress and insult women.

I guess in the grand scheme of things, there's more problems facing women than men so the media favours feminist stories rather than issues that may face men. As someone has already stated, the same is with black, Asian and minority rights as well. It doesn't mean that any one of those issues is less important, just that some are more prominent in society at that time. Whether or not that's fair is another thing.
The whole dogma behind fourth wave feminism, is in my mind, absurd. The slogan that we hear all too often, that feminism is about equality rather than the empowerment of women is just not true. The vagueness of that phrase assumes in it's ambiguity that men are better off than women, in every way. This is far from true. Off the top of my head, men are more likely to work dangerous jobs than women, men are three to four times more likely to commit suicide than women, men suffer from drug abuse and addiction more than women, men receive less support as victims of domestic abuse, men suffer from homelessness more than women, prostate cancer receives about half the funding breast cancer does, men are more likely to die younger than women, and that isn't an exhaustive list. The fact is, men and women both suffer from societal disadvantages and men deserve the same amount of awareness and support that women receive. Unfortunately, we've become accustomed to accounting for past injustices by repeating them in an opposite fashion.
So who are the mens rights activists? I cna only think of people like families need fathers?
Original post by airportsh8me
Because they are rarely campaigning for the right reasons. When was the last time you heard a men's right activists campaigning about female on male rape? Or indeed a male on male rape? The last one seems to have become a social norm, a joke ["don't drop the soap"]. What about the fact that males are less likely to get attention let alone justice as a victim of domestic abuse?

Be honest, have you ever heard of men's rights activists or "meninists" raising awareness of things that actually matter?

You don't get to hear them raise these issues and publicly campaign because people will either try to shut them down or avoid giving them exposure. There are Men's rights groups active all over the US, UK, Canada etc. that campaign for public awareness of male victims of domestic abuse, paternity fraud, unfair divorce settlements, false rape accusations, and so on. Many raise money for things like shelters and counseling.

A Voice For Men is my local example. There's also the Canadian Association for Equality, a registered charity, which has a campaign focus on men's rights.

However, the only 'news' you will hear about men's rights groups from outlets like HuffPo, Vox, The Guardian, and even the likes of the BBC, are mentions of angry people on the internet who 'hate women.' So of course you won't hear much about what these groups actually do, and you'll just think they whine about women on the internet.

Also, 'meninism' is a parody of feminism and not an actual thing.
(edited 7 years ago)
I am all for highlighting the issues which men face and addressing them, but show me one MRA who actually focuses on that instead of tearing at female equality. I have read some of Milo's work and ventured on the MRA, Red Pill and MGTOW sections on reddit and the way women are spoken about by these people frightens me. I worry that I or one of my female family members/friends could end up getting abused by one of these men if their ideology spreads.

If a man identified as an MRA but focused on things that matter instead of attacking women, I wouldn't have a problem with him.
Because they're trivial groups, to put it bluntly. For the most part, they're outside serious debate. As such, they get covered either as a novelty space-filler item, or when they've done something particularly newsworthy, which usually isn't something positive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WBZ144
I am all for highlighting the issues which men face and addressing them, but show me one MRA who actually focuses on that instead of tearing at female equality. I have read some of Milo's work and ventured on the MRA, Red Pill and MGTOW sections on reddit and the way women are spoken about by these people frightens me. I worry that I or one of my female family members/friends could end up getting abused by one of these men if their ideology spreads.

If a man identified as an MRA but focused on things that matter instead of attacking women, I wouldn't have a problem with him.

There are entire men's rights organisations and charities that focus on the issues men face. The Canadian Association for Equality (CAFE), the National Coalition for Men, and Parity are three I can name off the top of my head, among others. They do not "attack women". They may often be critical of feminists and feminist policies, but only because they are seen as hurting men in some way. Being critical of feminists is not misogyny or an attack on women. The Canadian MRA group Honey Badger Radio is run almost entirely by women, for example.

And if you're looking at freakin' MGTOW and Red Pill forums on Reddit for your examples of 'MRAs', you're in completely the wrong place. I don't think most of the people on there are even involved in men's rights activism...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Dandaman1
The Canadian MRA group A Voice for Men is run almost entirely by women, for example.

This one, or a different group that happens to have the same name? I only ask because the linked site doesn't really match your description.
The sexist, man-hating, man blaming, misandry trivialising, dismissive replies that you have had to this thread so far mirror exactly what happens in the media. When men come to discuss issues that affect them they are dismissed, trivialised, blamed for their misfortune and silenced. This is part of the sexist man-hating culture that we live in. There are two forces at play in this culture. The first being ignorance and the second being feminism. Feminism is an ideology that is based on the idea that men have it good and women have it bad and that men are to blame for world problems. Exposing men's issues risks exposing women as a privileged gender and men as a disadvantaged gender. This would destroy feminism. So feminists fight and suppress men's issues like their life depended on it, which it does.

For the past century feminist groups have actively engaged in suppressing mens issues. Take universities as an example. According to UCAS men are a disadvantaged group and women an advantaged group in higher education. Feminist groups in universities across the UK have blocked the formation of groups advocating the interests and rights of men in higher education. Two recent examples being the university of Staffordshire, which had its male rights advocacy group blocked by a ‘woman’s network’ who called the idea of a men’s rights advocacy group ‘dangerous’. Another example is the university of Durham who’s student union blocked its male rights advocacy society, which was set up by a male student to raise awareness about male suicide after his friend killed himself, because it was ‘too controversial’…..feminism is actively involved in discriminating against, suppressing and disadvantaging men.

The solution to these problems is for men to wake up. How can you wake people up? by raising awareness about the discrimination against men that is prevalent in societies across the globe and exposing feminism.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by anarchism101
This one, or a different group that happens to have the same name? I only ask because the linked site doesn't really match your description.

Whoops, mixed them up with the Honey Badger Radio group (female MRAs). They collaborate with each other frequently. I think that was the source of my confusion.

Latest

Trending

Trending