Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I hear that pub is a good place for making friends and getting to know each other. However, I don't understand this, do you spontaneously know how to drink? If you get drunk, won't that affect your study? And one thing about drinking is similar with coffee, it's just too complicated! There're so many different kinds, remembering the names is already very difficult, and you have to remember the taste then match it with the name...

I'm just hearing it and getting nervous. What a culture!

ReputationRep:
    It's alright
    Are you from overseas? So am I and I'm not too worried about stuff like that coz' there will be people that don't drink either alcohol or coffee. You can always go into a pub and get a mocktail or something!
    Don't force yourself.

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to drink alcoholic drink when you're in a pub, I usually only drink coke or lemonade or something If you're not used to drinking alcohol, you should stick to non-alcoholic drinks while you get used to pubs and the culture in general!

ReputationRep:
    Generally it's pretty easy, you will get the hang of it - most drinks are a mix of others and it's just like anything else - trust me you'll get the hang of it. Once you know what you like, just stick to that. If you get drunk it will affect your study, so make sure you pick the right date and time! Not a good idea trying to write essays when you're inebriated, for example.

ReputationRep:
    Its pretty simple really. Just don't drink some beer and then some wine. Oh and if you don't want it to affect your studies by getting a hangover, drink some vodka.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chinesegirl)
    I hear that pub is a good place for making friends and getting to know each other. However, I don't understand this, do you spontaneously know how to drink? If you get drunk, won't that affect your study? And one thing about drinking is similar with coffee, it's just too complicated! There're so many different kinds, remembering the names is already very difficult, and you have to remember the taste then match it with the name...

I'm just hearing it and getting nervous. What a culture!
    lol if you get bombarded by adverts and go down the pub enough times you'll know which is which.

go drinking/ getting drunk dont necessarily have an impact on your studies if you work out the times well..

ReputationRep:
    Yeh.. and most people don't always get drunk.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, i think its not as good as its said to be for meeting new people, although last week i met at least 3 new people i'd not seen before, i find it tends to be friends of friends you meet. Getting drunk wont affect ur study unless you let it, just do it in moderation, and with drinks i've never had a problem, i just bought what i thought looked nice, i like anything fruity which doesnt taste alcoholic and there is a massive range of things, somtimes i drink i different thing every round! And if you dont know what to drink try whatever other people are drinking, u'll soon find out the type of things you like

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilsunflower)
    Yeh.. and most people don't always get drunk.
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    All are nice. Now I see, it's mainly a problem of getting things under control and organising things around yourself! :cool:

Thanks!!!

ReputationRep:
    All are nice. Now I see, it's mainly a problem of getting things under control and organising things around yourself! :cool:

Thanks!!!
    yeha and you dont have to dirnk if you dont wanna..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glance)
    Its pretty simple really. Just don't drink some beer and then some wine. Oh and if you don't want it to affect your studies by getting a hangover, drink some vodka.
    or water might be a more sensible suggestion. not fun, but sensible

ReputationRep:

Thanks!!!
    Also i find that if you just go pubs they close quite early so u'll still get a good sleep, like 11pm where i happen to go, but if you like clubs you'll get home much later and not get much sleep cos you might be out till 1am

ReputationRep:
    Just remember J2O...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by winged_hippo)
    True, but if you want to drink something alcoholic but don't want a hangover then vodka (with some other soft drink) is good.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, and stick with some friends who have had drinking experience so they can help you out if you're really relaly drunk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by winged_hippo)
    I remeber at the club where i used to work, at bout 2am all the water suddenly sold out in bout 15mins, after selling hardly any for the rest of the night

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cobra01977)
    I remeber at the club where i used to work, at bout 2am all the water suddenly sold out in bout 15mins, after selling hardly any for the rest of the night
    lol do you know that all public venues like clubs has to provide free drinking water? but they never do...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fly By)
    lol do you know that all public venues like clubs has to provide free drinking water? but they never do...
    Why do they have to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fly By)
    I did, but i've never seen anyone ask except in a restaurant

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.