Social anxiety is still ruining my life

Watch
ChaoticButterfly
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
So I have to choose a topic for my summer semester dissertation thing. There are a couple of projects I am really interested in and have to do but I am hopeless at sorting this stuff out. Today I went to go and see the supervisor for a potential project to say i was interested in a certain project of his and try and show why I was suited to it but I couldn't make myself do it. He was in his room but I couldn't make myself go in and talk to him.

3 years ago when I was doing my undergraduate final year project I managed to go and find my tutor and was ahead of the que and got the project I wanted. Yet I can;t do it now. I feel like I am not getting better or even getting worse. I'm 24 and still can't function properly like a normal person. I did cbt and it still seems to have not helped me.

Puddles the Monkey this is what I mean when I say I am struggling because I am useless, not because the course is hard.
username2957542
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Same here its so hard to live you dont know what to do
Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
So I have to choose a topic for my summer semester dissertation thing. There are a couple of projects I am really interested in and have to do but I am hopeless at sorting this stuff out. Today I went to go and see the supervisor for a potential project to say i was interested in a certain project of his and try and show why I was suited to it but I couldn't make myself do it. He was in his room but I couldn't make myself go in and talk to him.

3 years ago when I was doing my undergraduate final year project I managed to go and find my tutor and was ahead of the que and got the project I wanted. Yet I can;t do it now. I feel like I am not getting better or even getting worse. I'm 24 and still can't function properly like a normal person. I did cbt and it still seems to have not helped me.

Puddles the Monkey this is what I mean when I say I am struggling because I am useless, not because the course is hard.
Hey,

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply - I got caught up in loads of work.

Have you spoken to anyone at uni about how you're feeling? Universities generally have good mental health support services available. I know you said you did CBT, but sometimes with things like this it's an ongoing process and you might need more than one "course" for it to really start helping, if that makes sense. You're bound to have periods where you feel like you're less anxious and times where you feel like you're getting "worse".

DId you decide on a topic for your dissertation? You can always contact your supervisor by email - might be less intimidating then face to face? This might not make you feel better, but you're not completely alone in feeling that way about speaking to supervisors - I get reduced to a pile of jelly and so do other people on my course who I've spoken to. I know what you're going through is stronger than that, but you're not alone in feeling it to some extent.

It sounds like you're getting really down about this, from the way you speak about yourself. But feeling anxious doesn't mean that you are "useless" or not "functioning properly", although I understand how it can feel that way. You're doing a masters course - that's challenging, and something to feel proud of. Definitely not "useless"!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (6)
4.41%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (23)
16.91%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (24)
17.65%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (19)
13.97%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (40)
29.41%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (24)
17.65%

Watched Threads