The Student Room Group

What wedding traditions or customs would you keep or skip?

Got into an interesting discussion with my grandparents and mum earlier about how weddings are changing and that a lot of the old traditions from my gran and papa's day aren't followed as much these days.

Some common wedding traditions typical in The UK are/were - I'll add what I am personally changing or sticking to :smile:

*male relative walking the bride down the aisle - my papa and gran are giving me away and my mum is walking down the aisle behind us. We're walking down as a family

*taking your partner's surname - I am but also keeping my own name so my surname will become double barrelled

*the wife's family paying for most or all of the wedding - Me and my partner paid for 95% of it. Family from both side are buying things like the cake and bits of bobs

*asking the bride's family for permission to marry her - my partner didn't do this

*spending the night before the wedding apart - spending the night together at our flat along with my mum and friend

*arriving at the ceremony separately - We are arriving together with my family as my mum has booked as a wedding limo

*not seeing each others outfits until the big day - he's already seen me try on my dress once and I'll be going with him to pick out a kilt

*bride wears white - I'm wearing white to the ceremony and then I have a purple dress for the reception

*your wedding rings have to match - I have a LOTR gold band and he has a silicon ring. He's more about comfort than style :tongue:

*the wedding meal should be three course minimum - having a buffet instead

*Throwing the bouquet - Not having a bouquet

*Walking down the aisle to Here Comes The Bride - Nope, I'm walking down to Chasing Cars :colondollar:

*Something new, something borrowed, something blue - I might do this
And many more traditions.

What traditions of your culture would you want to keep or skip for your own wedding?

To me the traditions don't matter. If you want to follow them or do things differently then it's not a big deal either way. Your day will be special regardless and at the end of it, that one day doesn't matter as much as the many days after it :yep:
(edited 7 years ago)
Some traditions in some south east weddings include

Asking for the guy to pay up before entering the actual place of the wedding. He has to pay the sisters of the bride in order to get entry to see his bride to be.

•Get the grooms shoe off and again ask him to pay up for his shoe back

•There's also a part where you make the groom drink like milk after the bride has taken a sip? Idk

•Bride wearing red

•In many muslim weddings the Quran is held above the brides head when she is leaving to go to her in laws.

Traditions can be fun but they do get repetitive.

If I ever get married i would love a sparkling red wedding dress, some of the gowns are very pretty and hey its the only day you can go all out!
I would skip the tradition of marriage altogether. Sure have a party and celebrate being together, but not marriage.
Weddings/Marriage are one of the few things I am fairly traditional about and have made bold the things I want for my wedding. Though I didn't know the wife's family paying and a minimum three course meal was tradition. :lol: I would much prefer a buffet.

Some common wedding traditions typical in The UK are/were
*male relative walking the bride down the aisle
*taking your partner's surname (Well I want her to take mine)
*the wife's family paying for most or all of the wedding
*asking the bride's family for permission to marry her
*spending the night before the wedding apart
*arriving at the ceremony separately
*not seeing each others outfits until the big day
*bride wears white
*your wedding rings have to match
*the wedding meal should be three course minimum
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Spock's Socks
Got into an interesting discussion with my grandparents and mum earlier about how weddings are changing and that a lot of the old traditions from my gran and papa's day aren't followed as much these days.

*male relative walking the bride down the aisle
*taking your partner's surname
*the wife's family paying for most or all of the wedding
*asking the bride's family for permission to marry her
*spending the night before the wedding apart
*arriving at the ceremony separately
*not seeing each others outfits until the big day
*bride wears white
*your wedding rings have to match
*the wedding meal should be three course minimum

What traditions of your culture would you want to keep or skip for your own wedding?

Me and my partner are doing it pretty much polar opposite from my grandparents :colondollar: Her dad paid for most of it and my grandpa paid the rest whereas we've paid for it all ourselves other than the cars and cake which is my wedding present from my mum. My grandparents spent the night apart before the wedding, we'll be together along with my mum and best friend as they are staying with us the night before and we'll just chill and try and relax as much as possible :P we are arriving at the ceremony together along with family (my mum has got us a wedding limo :teehee: ), he's already seen me in my dress and I'm going with him to help him find a kilt, our rings don't match and the meal is a buffet :tongue:

To me the traditions don't matter. If you want to follow them or do things differently then it's not a big deal either way. Your day will be special regardless and at the end of it, that one day doesn't matter as much as the many days after it :yep:

Tbh, I'd probably keep almost all of them ~ I just don't want to have to pay for the whole thing ~ he should contribute too xD
Reply 5

*male relative walking the bride down the aisle Yes, my dad. But if he wasn't around I'd have gone with my mum/on my own, not some random uncle or something
*taking your partner's surname Yes, though part of me misses the old one!
*the wife's family paying for most or all of the wedding No, my husband and I paid for the vast majority of it.
*asking the bride's family for permission to marry her He did this, but I wasn't expecting it.
*spending the night before the wedding apart Yes, I stayed with my family in a B&B and all got ready together, he stayed at the venue with the best man
*arriving at the ceremony separately Yes
*not seeing each others outfits until the big day I'd seen his, he hadn't seen mine
*bride wears white Well, ivory.
*your wedding rings have to match They're both plain white gold bands, but slightly different shapes. We made our own!
*the wedding meal should be three course minimum No, we had afternoon tea, so sandwiches and then cakes/mini desserts.

See above. Sadly none of my grandparents were alive for my wedding. There were some differences and some similarities with my parents - my dad is actually mum's 2nd husband so she wasn't allowed to get married in church, they had a registry office wedding and then a blessing in church. We had a civil ceremony and church blessing because Mr Helenia is atheist. Mum wore a cream skirt suit for her wedding to Dad; I've never seen her first wedding dress but I think it was blue!

I also did "something old, something new, something borrowed and something blue," and threw my bouquet after the dinner, can't think of any others right now!
Reply 6
Original post by Helenia
See above. Sadly none of my grandparents were alive for my wedding. There were some differences and some similarities with my parents - my dad is actually mum's 2nd husband so she wasn't allowed to get married in church, they had a registry office wedding and then a blessing in church. We had a civil ceremony and church blessing because Mr Helenia is atheist. Mum wore a cream skirt suit for her wedding to Dad; I've never seen her first wedding dress but I think it was blue!

I also did "something old, something new, something borrowed and something blue," and threw my bouquet after the dinner, can't think of any others right now!

I forgot about this one! I may do this one :yep:

I also forgot about throwing the bouquet and walking down the aisle to "Here Comes The Bride" I'll need to add those to the list :tongue:
Reply 7
I'd just do whatever the 'standard' is tbh, I'm not all too bothered.
I forgot about this one! I may do this one :yep:

I also forgot about throwing the bouquet and walking down the aisle to "Here Comes The Bride" I'll need to add those to the list :tongue:

Also
having a cake
cutting the cake
the first dance
speeches (groom, best man, father of the bride)
five million photos
champagne for the speeches/toasts
presents for the bridesmaids
hen do
stag night
confetti
bouquets and buttonholes

And this has reminded me once again why the idea of a wedding makes me cringe.

Some common wedding traditions typical in The UK are/were - I'll add what I am personally changing or sticking to :smile:

*male relative walking the bride down the aisle - my papa and gran are giving me away and my mum is walking down the aisle behind us. We're walking down as a family

*taking your partner's surname - I am but also keeping my own name so my surname will become double barrelled

*the wife's family paying for most or all of the wedding - Me and my partner paid for 95% of it. Family from both side are buying things like the cake and bits of bobs

*asking the bride's family for permission to marry her - my partner didn't do this

*spending the night before the wedding apart - spending the night together at our flat along with my mum and friend

*arriving at the ceremony separately - We are arriving together with my family as my mum has booked as a wedding limo

*not seeing each others outfits until the big day - he's already seen me try on my dress once and I'll be going with him to pick out a kilt

*bride wears white - I'm wearing white to the ceremony and then I have a purple dress for the reception

*your wedding rings have to match - I have a LOTR gold band and he has a silicon ring. He's more about comfort than style :tongue:

*the wedding meal should be three course minimum - having a buffet instead

*Throwing the bouquet - Not having a bouquet

*Walking down the aisle to Here Comes The Bride - Nope, I'm walking down to Chasing Cars :colondollar:

*Something new, something borrowed, something blue - I might do this

We re skipping the wedding cake, here comes the bride, throwing the bouquet and at the moment I think I m going to walk myself down the aisle as the days going to have lots of reminders that dad gone, my grandad who I would have asked died 3 years ago so thinking I ll do it myself.
I ve seen joshes suit and he didn't ask my family permission. Mum bought my dress and my sisters dress but we ve paid for the rest of the wedding ourselves.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending