zattyzatzat
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Name:  ICl3.png
Views: 3971
Size:  8.1 KB
The back of my textbook says this shape is a trigonal planar. But when I check online it's says it's a T-Shape molecule. Which one is it?
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by zattyzatzat)
Name:  ICl3.png
Views: 3971
Size:  8.1 KB
The back of my textbook says this shape is a trigonal planar. But when I check online it's says it's a T-Shape molecule. Which one is it?
Iodine starts off with 7 electrons and each chlorine provides it with 1, giving a total of 5 pairs.

These five electron pairs arrange themselves into a trigonal bipyramidal orientation.

You now have to locate the two lone pairs. These will both go into equatorial positions to minimise repulsions. In that way they will be at 120º to each other and 90º to two bonding pairs and 120º to the third bonding pair..

If they go into axial positions they will both be at 90º to three bonding pairs, althogh this would minimise the repulsion between the two one pairs.

Apparently the first case is lowest energy, giving a T shaped molecule, that will distort the axial bonding pairs to minimise repulsions, giving bond angles of less than 90º.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (177)
28.41%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (104)
16.69%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (57)
9.15%
I want to meet current students (52)
8.35%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (50)
8.03%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (126)
20.22%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (37)
5.94%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (20)
3.21%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed