Turn on thread page Beta

Why are bacterial cell membranes negatively charged watch

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know why bacterial cell membranes are negatively charged? what components give it the negative charge?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, (batsman) OR (fielder) ??

Thank you for your interesting Q - firstly must admit that I did not know this - most cell membranes in nature have a negative charge on the intra-cellular aspect relative to the extra-cellular aspect, which is what permits the generation of the action potential from the resting potential (-70mV) in neurons.

The significance to us humans of the structure of bacterial cell membranes and their bacterial components is for us to target these "organelles" in order to kill bacteria to treat infections - (polymyxin and colistin are two antibiotics that compromise the cell membranes of bacteria selectively by binding to and disrupting the lipopolysaccharide of the outer membrane of gram-negative bacteria including E.coli, Salmonella, and Shigella - just for extra info!)

Name:  Fig 53-3 Bacterial Structure.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  492.4 KB
    I suppose the integral protein of the cell membrane with their amphoteric properties including the negatively charged -COOH group when ionized, could make the membrane partly -ve. The structure of the bacterial cell membrane shown above does not give any clues, either.

ReputationRep:
    x

Thanks for the reply

I was thinking the same as well, it is probably negatively charges due to the components like the phospholipids.

Also do you have any ideas what the membrane potential in bacterial cells is?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 8, 2017
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.