Reptilejay
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Sadly I got rejected for vet gateways that I applied for - obviously as I had no experience 😔 Just wondering if anyone is a graduate entry vet med student and if so, how did you manage to pay for the course?

Thinking about taking a gap year to get loads of experience and then apply again but as I have already retaken my AS levels once people are pushing me to go to uni instead of essentially "wasting" another year. Any vet student opinions on this? As I am very willing to wait another year for vet med but don't know if it's worth it - mainly because, do you think that they are less likely to take me because of the fact that I have taken quite a bit of time to do what others do in 2 year? (Btw will only be applying for Gateway vet med as I don't have the gcse grades for vet med)
Little Tail Chaser
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Reptilejay)
Sadly I got rejected for vet gateways that I applied for - obviously as I had no experience 😔 Just wondering if anyone is a graduate entry vet med student and if so, how did you manage to pay for the course?

Thinking about taking a gap year to get loads of experience and then apply again but as I have already retaken my AS levels once people are pushing me to go to uni instead of essentially "wasting" another year. Any vet student opinions on this? As I am very willing to wait another year for vet med but don't know if it's worth it - mainly because, do you think that they are less likely to take me because of the fact that I have taken quite a bit of time to do what others do in 2 year? (Btw will only be applying for Gateway vet med as I don't have the gcse grades for vet med)
I can't comment on funding a postgrad degree (as I understand it most people rely on their family), but personally I would strongly recommend taking another year out to get the experience and applying in October as an undergrad. It's not a 'waste' of a year at all, and if you take a year out followed by a six year course then you will qualify in the same amount of time as you could do a three year undergrad degree followed by the four year accelerated vetmed degree. The latter just means that you pay significantly more. In your year out you can also get a paid job to help finance university.

Don't worry about how long compared to other people it's taken you to reach a certain point. I've heard of some people taking four gap years before getting into vet med! Universities want to see that your experience is recent anyway
Reptilejay
Rep:
?
(Original post by Little Tail Chaser)
I can't comment on funding a postgrad degree (as I understand it most people rely on their family), but personally I would strongly recommend taking another year out to get the experience and applying in October as an undergrad. It's not a 'waste' of a year at all, and if you take a year out followed by a six year course then you will qualify in the same amount of time as you could do a three year undergrad degree followed by the four year accelerated vetmed degree. The latter just means that you pay significantly more. In your year out you can also get a paid job to help finance university.

Don't worry about how long compared to other people it's taken you to reach a certain point. I've heard of some people taking four gap years before getting into vet med! Universities want to see that your experience is recent anyway
Thanks 😁 I didn't really acknowledge that it would be the same as if I did a 3 year then graduate entry 😂 I think I saw in another post that you study vet med at RVC - I'm really hoping to get in there as it seems amazing, how are you finding it so far?
Little Tail Chaser
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Reptilejay)
Thanks 😁 I didn't really acknowledge that it would be the same as if I did a 3 year then graduate entry 😂 I think I saw in another post that you study vet med at RVC - I'm really hoping to get in there as it seems amazing, how are you finding it so far?
I do indeed. Second year and enjoying it so far (well... currently procrastinating from an essay, but k'now, most of the time ). It was my top choice for a long time and now I couldn't imagine being a student anywhere else.

We have some open days and open houses coming up if you wanted to come along and see the place for yourself, but let me know if you have any questions about studying here
Reptilejay
Rep:
?
(Original post by Little Tail Chaser)
I do indeed. Second year and enjoying it so far (well... currently procrastinating from an essay, but k'now, most of the time ). It was my top choice for a long time and now I couldn't imagine being a student anywhere else.

We have some open days and open houses coming up if you wanted to come along and see the place for yourself, but let me know if you have any questions about studying here
RVC has been my top choice for a while now - sadly it was them I got rejected from 😭 They have given me a place for biological science (animal welfare) but it's just not the same as vet med - plan on going to the applicants day just because I love the campus tbh 😂 Have visited twice before too. And great, thanks 😊
Lizziefickling
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
As a grad vet student funding the course is not easy at all. Most people rely on family to pay fees, my parents pay mine. Otherwise it's a massive struggle. I definitely wouldn't advise it unless it's a last last option for you. LTC has said the rest of what I would suggest so I won't repeat what she's said

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (65)
21.96%
Excited but a bit nervous (134)
45.27%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.16%
I'm really nervous (61)
20.61%

Watched Threads