JackLeggett
Did my (corrected) explanations help.
713Wave
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
The product you get from Diels Alder reactions is always an adduct, and it's certainly composed of covalent bonds.
although I cannot comment on the Diels Alder reactions (haven't studied that at uni yet), it does seem like the definition of adducts vary (a little bit) from reaction to reaction.
h3rmit
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by 713Wave)
Well its seems like our perceptions of adducts are different.

Either my inorganic chemistry lecturer is lying or....... well she isn't.
The compound would be described as water forming an adduct with the magnesium sulphate, and the whole compound would not be called an adduct, instead it would be called by its name as hydrated magnesium sulphate.

Having said that, thanks for correcting me earlier on.
http://www.chemicool.com/definition/adduct.html

Definition of adduct

A new chemical species AB, each molecular entity of which is formed by direct combination of two separate molecular entities A and B in such a way that there is change in connectivity, but no loss, of atoms within the moieties A and B. Stoichiometries other than 1:1 are also possible, e.g. a bis-adduct (2:1). An "intramolecular adduct" can be formed when A and B are groups contained within the same molecular entity .
This is a general term which, whenever appropriate, should be used in preference to the less explicit term complex. It is also used specifically for products of an addition reaction. For examples see Lewis adduct, Meisenheimer adduct, Image-adduct.

Edit: though maybe the magnesium sulphate isn't a molecular entity, the Gold Book isn't very helpful
Plantagenet Crown
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by 713Wave)
although I cannot comment on the Diels Alder reactions (haven't studied that at uni yet), it does seem like the definition of adducts vary (a little bit) from reaction to reaction.
I get where you're coming from and it's more semantics than anything else. Throughout my entire chemistry degree and so far during my PhD, I've never heard anyone refer to things like Diels-Alder products (etc.) as adducts, that term is usually employed to describe things like hydrated magnesium sulfate, and so many students then assume that that bonding and structure is the only kind of thing that can be called an adduct.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I’m worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (6)
54.55%
I’m worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (0)
0%
I’m worried it will impact my future career (1)
9.09%
I’m worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (2)
18.18%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (0)
0%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (2)
18.18%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed