Beth_w1
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Does anyone know if it has been announced that there will be a cohort 6 starting in January 2019 for step up? I'm due to graduate in 2018 so hoping to do this in 2019 but I can't seem to find any info on it?!? Thanks.
Socialwork87
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi
I would also like to know
I have seen something regarding funding for the scheme should go to 2020 when the government has another election. I am completing my maths this year so I can apply next, and I am really hoping I have not missed out on the opportunity to apply. I am also going to use the time to research social work guidance that candidates are assessed against an hopefully some additional experience with children
Suziesue123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi, does anyone know when I should give up hoping for an interview! Lol!
PAJMC
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Not yet I don't think, re: the interview for this year, there's another thread. Next one I have read will be 2020.
Jo.92
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you are interested in Step Up also search for Frontline and Think Ahead graduate schemes. All 3 offer Social Work training.
Beth_w1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jo.92)
If you are interested in Step Up also search for Frontline and Think Ahead graduate schemes. All 3 offer Social Work training.
Thanks, I've been put off Frontline as it involves moving away for a 5 weeks and I have a house and family commitments. I will look into Think Ahead, thanks!
PAJMC
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi. I've been offered a place by email today as I didn't pick up the phone due to being on holiday. Has anyone else had a phone call? I was wondering if it involved a discussion meaning it's best to call or was just offering a place and therefore I can respond by email. Thank you in advance.
lilybetts30
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi Beth THink Ahead also have a summer residential which means being away for 6 weeks Mon-Fri, the last residential was in Nottingham so can be quite a treck depending on where in the country you are. I am due to start the step up programme in January 2018 and am very excited! the process is hard and the programe this year had 10,000 applicants for 550 spaces nationwide. Step up is an amazing programme that allows commited people to follow thier dreams, and i would advise to defintitly go for it as for all the hard work getting there it is worth it in the end. I am for obvious reasons not allowed to discuss assessment centres, but if i can help in anyway then please let me know. Good luck xx
(Original post by Beth_w1)
Thanks, I've been put off Frontline as it involves moving away for a 5 weeks and I have a house and family commitments. I will look into Think Ahead, thanks!
Beth_w1
Rep:
?
(Original post by lilybetts30)
Hi Beth THink Ahead also have a summer residential which means being away for 6 weeks Mon-Fri, the last residential was in Nottingham so can be quite a treck depending on where in the country you are. I am due to start the step up programme in January 2018 and am very excited! the process is hard and the programe this year had 10,000 applicants for 550 spaces nationwide. Step up is an amazing programme that allows commited people to follow thier dreams, and i would advise to defintitly go for it as for all the hard work getting there it is worth it in the end. I am for obvious reasons not allowed to discuss assessment centres, but if i can help in anyway then please let me know. Good luck xx
I would love to apply for step up but I don't graduate until July 2018 and would therefore have to wait until January 2020 to start which seems so far away! Thanks for the advice and Best of luck to you xx
lilybetts30
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The next cohort starts in Jan 2020, the application process starts in March 2019 which is not really that far off, if this is something you really want to do i would defo say go for it. Let me know nearer the time if you do apply and good luck with your degree x
Lrw483
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm hoping to apply for the 2019 cohort starting in January I'm already excited
ebarker44
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi to anyone applying for step up social, keep trying get lots of experience working or volunteering with both children or adults. I have a place starting January the assessment centre was a fabulous centre obvously I can't talk about the assessments but the recruiters make the experience an enjoyable one. It's one of the best assessments I've been too an they supply you with food an drinks 😊 good luck
Evie84
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi All,Does everyone applying for this have a 2.1 degree? I have BA hons Degree 2.2 and think it is so unfair that I can't be given a chance to apply.
PAJMC
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm afraid it's one of those "the rules are the rules" things... it's so popular I guess they have to have ways to cut down applicants.

They have said although there were plans to run a program in 2020 they have since said this is not guaranteed (a noticed the wording had changed pre and post assessment centre).

I notice think ahead has just opened for applications.
Evie84
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thank you PAJMC, its such a shame I would really have loved to do it but as you said maybe it might not run again.
Bex0092
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi, I’m interested in the step up, where can I get more information about it and does it run in most cities? I’m in Leicestershire, thanks in advance x
22amz
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hiya, I am desperately trying to find more information on this, but I am struggling. Is there a course starting in 2019?
Rachelwade01
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
any more news of this all?
epiphonesj
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It sounds like from what others are saying, that the next application process will start in March 2019 with the successful candidates commencing in January 2020. The .gov website says the next application round info will be uploaded in summer 2018 - which had originally made me think that there was a chance of selection happening this year and studies starting on 2019 but it seems not.

Luckily I'm a mature student with an Honours and about to start the HNC Social Services so I can gain more knowledge and work experience. Towards the end of the HNC applications for Step Up will open so I intend on applying.

However, as much as I'd love to be successful in Step Up I absolutely despise assessment centres. Other people's comments suggest that it's a great assessment centre experience but they aren't allowed to comment on why,
Sazcup
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It is a great assessment day! And really sets you up for what to expect on course! We can’t tell you why because it’s unfair!! And you might plan and that’s the worst you could do go in with an open mind! Step up is all about transferable skills and using that to get you onto course!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (21)
12.8%
I need help researching courses (9)
5.49%
I need help with filling out the application form (8)
4.88%
I need help with my personal statement (71)
43.29%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (39)
23.78%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.83%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (13)
7.93%

Watched Threads