The Student Room Group

Step up to Social Work Cohort 6 2019

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
If the application process starts in March 2019 does anyone know if it is possible to apply even though Degree doesn't finish until August 2019?
Reply 21
And also when closing date to apply is likely to be? TIA
Reply 22
Hope this is useful to someone... Applications open in February 2019 with successful applicants starting in January 2020. DfE have confirmed.
Reply 23
Hi guys do you know if you need to obtained your degree certificate/ grade before applying or is it before the course commences. I’m due to get my final grade late September 2019. Can I still apply.
Original post by MikelxX
Hi guys do you know if you need to obtained your degree certificate/ grade before applying or is it before the course commences. I’m due to get my final grade late September 2019. Can I still apply.

Seems to be a real lack of information until applications open. I'm applying to Frontline at the moment and they are quite strict. although you wouldn't start u til June or July next year you have to have the degree at the time of applying. Maybe Step Up will be more flexible but given the demand I'm not sure.
Reply 25
Hi all, I just wanted to get a bit of a discussion going with who is applying for Jan 2020 entry (what experience you have and where you’re from?).I’m hoping to apply in Bristol.

I graduated with a 2:1 in Psychology.

I currently work as a Support Time Recovery Worker for the criminal justice team, working with young adults and adults charged of an offence who have complex needs/vulnerabilities. I also have previous volunteer experience with Victim Support and Restorative Justice.

My work with children and families is limited so i’m hoping to begin some voluntary work before entry opens. I hope this will be enough.

Looking forward to hearing from others :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 26
Advice to everyone thinking of applying! It’s all about transferable skills what can you bring to social work.
You need a degree of life experience before considering this course. The point of step up is to encourage people to apply who have lived and worked in other proffesions to bring another dimension to social work. I don’t think it’s a course for new graduates.
Your better off applying for the MA.
This is a fast track course. You need to have enhanced transferable skills.
From what I’ve read regarding the step up to social work programme it can be for anyone including graduates, with applications opening in February hopefully we will know more soon
Original post by MikelxX

I applied for the last cohort, got all the way through but unfortunately didnt get a place. During that process you needed your degree certificate when you completed the application. Im not sure if anything has changed.
(edited 5 years ago)
hiya, you can apply to step up if you have a postgraduate certificate :smile:
Reply 30
Can anyone please tell me what the application process entails? From the course opening for applications online, to the assessment centre and anything inbetween? Wondering how to prepare for Jan 2020 applications? Also do you get breaks/leave/half term? Thanks x
Hi I’m currently on the step up and due to finish in 10 weeks. I can say the waiting during this period seems sooo long but oh my god it all goes quick. The applications will open and you will have to fill out an application form. This has personal details, work and education details (sorry you have to have your degree when applying) references and competency questions. If you get through this you will be invited to an assessment centre and you will have an option of a few dates (prob around jun jul time) the assessment centre is made up of 3 different parts a role play telephone conversation a written assignment and a speed dating type activity with service users (this may vary depending on area) all the answers are marked and simple the highest marks get offered a space. People always ask what sort of things they ask at the assssment day but my advice would be brush up on the knowledge and skills statement and pcf and you won’t go far wrong. Holidays during the course are dependant are area I had two weeks at Easter whole of summer 3 weeks at Xmas and have feb half term off. Placements are dependant on area but I done a 20 day children’s placement (more of an introduction) 50 day adult placement and am nearing the end of my 100 day placement which is in a child protection team. I would defo recommended and wish anyone applying all the luck in the world. It’s bloody hard but well worth it
Reply 32
Original post by lilybetts30
Hi I’m currently on the step up and due to finish in 10 weeks. I can say the waiting during this period seems sooo long but oh my god it all goes quick. The applications will open and you will have to fill out an application form. This has personal details, work and education details (sorry you have to have your degree when applying) references and competency questions. If you get through this you will be invited to an assessment centre and you will have an option of a few dates (prob around jun jul time) the assessment centre is made up of 3 different parts a role play telephone conversation a written assignment and a speed dating type activity with service users (this may vary depending on area) all the answers are marked and simple the highest marks get offered a space. People always ask what sort of things they ask at the assssment day but my advice would be brush up on the knowledge and skills statement and pcf and you won’t go far wrong. Holidays during the course are dependant are area I had two weeks at Easter whole of summer 3 weeks at Xmas and have feb half term off. Placements are dependant on area but I done a 20 day children’s placement (more of an introduction) 50 day adult placement and am nearing the end of my 100 day placement which is in a child protection team. I would defo recommended and wish anyone applying all the luck in the world. It’s bloody hard but well worth it

Couldn’t have put it better myself!
My only difference is that I had a 70 day placement in adoption and 100 days in child protection!
I also finish in a couple of weeks and defo hard but 100% worth it good luck all!
Reply 33
Has anyone else had the email? Applications open!! Unfortunately I can’t apply this time as my degree will not be completed until May. But would be good to know how others get on?
Reply 34
Hello, I got the email! I’m in the process of applying when I can. Good luck to everybody!
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Kittyta
Has anyone else had the email? Applications open!! Unfortunately I can’t apply this time as my degree will not be completed until May. But would be good to know how others get on?

I’m not sure when applications close but for us they closed in May so you may still be able to apply if you know your likely to get a 2:1 x
Reply 36
Original post by Kittyta

I registered my interest months ago but haven't seen an email... and Gov site says applications are closed! Any ideas?
Original post by Lex2010
I registered my interest months ago but haven't seen an email... and Gov site says applications are closed! Any ideas?

Ive had an email and it take me through to a website so Im not sure why its saying its closed. Can you register your interest again?
Does anyone know how long it takes to hear back? I sent my application off the other day
Reply 39
Has anyone else not got the email? I have registered my interest again and not heard anything. Also did it on another email address and not heard anything. I'm worried I'm missing it.. is it coming from a random email address???

Quick Reply

Latest