The Student Room Group

International Women's Day-Stop Representing The Hijab As A Symbol Of Enpowerment

Scroll to see replies

Original post by QE2
Piste is merely a means of getting to and from park and powder.
That is all.

No idea what you're talking about.
Reply 61
Original post by tazarooni89
No idea what you're talking about.
I know. You never leave the piste (I wish more people would do the same!)
Reply 62
Original post by QE2
The pressure is from god! There cannot be any greater pressure for someone who genuinely believes in the truth of Islam.

Indeed, other than the pressure to belive he exists in the first place.
That doesn't address my point.

As I said, people in the West such as yourself only think "genitals, anus and female nipples" need to be covered just because that's what you're used to in the society you've grown up in.

There is absolutely no reason why this is the correct, definitive list of body parts that need to be covered. Different cultures will view it differently.

You have no point. Either you are a troll or you lack basic reading comprehension skills. You have been pointed out multiple times now that )whatever you consider as) your "points" are flawed. At this point you are just spamming now.

I knew at the beginning, I should have listened to myself when I wrote I won't be feeding the troll. You are a classic case, ignore points, argue in circles, repeat the same thing just differently phrased.
Original post by Damien96
i personally can handle seeing the female nipple (Why you specified teenage daughter's breasts is for you and your therapist), without losing control. It's a nipple, you spent your childhood clamped onto your mother's. Are you offended by breastfeeding?

Answer my question with a yes or a no then.
Would you allow her to walk around topless in front of you at home or not?

As for why I specified "teenage daughter"; the question wouldn't have made sense had it been anyone else.

Do women get as sexually aroused visually as men? I'm not sure, but certainly some do. It isn't surprising that someone who claims the hijab is empowering has little idea about female sexuality.

I think it's quite facetious not to admit that men and women are obviously very different when it comes to sexual arousal.

When people are actively trying to appear sexually appealing to the opposite gender (e.g. in a nightclub), why is it that women wear far more revealing clothes than men? Why do men's magazines contain far more images of scantily clad women than women's magazines contain of scantily clad men?

It makes perfect sense that if women reveal more than men when trying to appear sexually attractive, that they would cover more than men when trying not to portray themselves sexually.
Original post by yudothis
You have no point. Either you are a troll or you lack basic reading comprehension skills. You have been pointed out multiple times now that )whatever you consider as) your "points" are flawed. At this point you are just spamming now.

I knew at the beginning, I should have listened to myself when I wrote I won't be feeding the troll. You are a classic case, ignore points, argue in circles, repeat the same thing just differently phrased.

This post contains no argument of any substance.
It might have been better phrased as "You're wrong, just because!"
This post contains no argument of any substance.
It might have been better phrased as "You're wrong, just because!"

You have no point. Nothing you have said addresses any of the arguments made. There is no point actually writing something of substance to reply to you anymore. You are a broken record "but my nipples in the west", "but muh teenage daughter nipples in front of you".

Boring and more and more daft.
In certain countries nude beaches and saunas are common place.

You are quite right, there is something wrong also in the West with regards to the naked body.

But that does in no way justify the huge patriarchy that underpins Islam and manifests itself in things such as the Hijab.

You also repeatedly fail to understand the logic behind the argument - you keep harping on and on about nipples in the west or amazonians. You completely fail to acknowledge my initial reply to you, the motivation matters (you said no you aren't playing dumb you just don't see the answer and I repeated "women wanting to please Mo". So in my eyes I was wrong to assume you are purposefully playing daft, you are just not playing it). It doesn't even matter if one society thinks to use your example 30% cover is enough and another 80%. What matters is why they think that. And as with your example of US 200 years, as with Islam still now, this motivation can be directly linked to a deep misogyny in its foundations.

Religion, and not just Islam but Christianity, too, was created to control the population and to oppress women.

So are you telling me that, regardless of how much people are expected to cover up, the fact that women are expected to cover up at all in order not to portray themselves sexually is misogyny, and similarly the fact that men are expected to cover up at all is misandry, and that a culture of nudism is superior to all others?
So are you telling me that, regardless of how much people are expected to cover up, the fact that women are expected to cover up at all in order not to portray themselves sexually is misogyny, and similarly the fact that men are expected to cover up at all is misandry, and that a culture of nudism is superior to all others?

No. I suggest you actually read the posts again. Actually you are probably not going to understand or just misrepresent it. So to make it clear to others. A society could say 80% covering up is the norm. Another could be 30%. While one might judge either of those based on ones own sexuality, what matters is a) the motivation behind the cultural rules in place and b) whether or not men and women are treated the same. With Islam we can trace a) directly to severe misogyny and b) is clearly not the case for men having to cover up as much as women. They may cover up more than western men, but that is irrelevant.
(edited 7 years ago)
You have no point. Nothing you have said addresses any of the arguments made. There is no point actually writing something of substance to reply to you anymore. You are a broken record "but my nipples in the west", "but muh teenage daughter nipples in front of you".

Boring and more and more daft.

My point is that covering up various parts of your body so as not to portray yourself sexually is a feature of every culture including your own, not just of Islam.

If you think Islam is misogynistic for expecting women to do this (and also misandristic for expecting men to do this), then the same is true of every culture in the world. The same is true of yourself if you insist on covering yourself before going out in public too, or if you encourage others to do the same.
Reply 70
Answer my question with a yes or a no then.
Would you allow her to walk around topless in front of you at home or not?

As for why I specified "teenage daughter"; the question wouldn't have made sense had it been anyone else.

I think it's quite facetious not to admit that men and women are obviously very different when it comes to sexual arousal.

When people are actively trying to appear sexually appealing to the opposite gender (e.g. in a nightclub), why is it that women wear far more revealing clothes than men? Why do men's magazines contain far more images of scantily clad women than women's magazines contain of scantily clad men?

It makes perfect sense that if women reveal more than men when trying to appear sexually attractive, that they would cover more than men when trying not to portray themselves sexually.

Yes I would and yes it would. I would find it very odd if she would want to because of the societal norms I already acknowledged, but, as I also pointed out, the comparison between covering up the female nipple and covering up everything other than the female face (sometimes even that) is an arguement a child could see through.

There are plenty of men who do the same in night clubs, that isn't to say that western culture is perfect, but again, to compare that to imprisoning or murdering a woman, as is the case in some countries, for showing their hair is feeble.

Unless you have another arguement to make beyond, all cultures wear clothes, I suggest you take your disingenuous deflections and whataboutery to someone in a pussy hat. They might think you all deep and stuff.
No. I suggest you actually read the posts again.

This is what you wrote:

"It doesn't even matter if one society thinks to use your example 30% cover is enough and another 80%. What matters is why they think that."

We already know why they think that. All societies require both men and women to cover themselves to some extent so as not to portray themselves in a sexual manner. Islam thinks like this, Western culture thinks like this, and I strongly suspect that you do too (unless you're a nudist).
My point is that covering up various parts of your body so as not to portray yourself sexually is a feature of every culture including your own, not just of Islam.

If you think Islam is misogynistic for expecting women to do this (and also misandristic for expecting men to do this), then the same is true of every culture in the world. The same is true of yourself if you insist on covering yourself before going out in public too, or if you encourage others to do the same.

Read above. Not what I wrote.

This is what you do. You assume people have a certain argument, one that you have maybe heard before, or just want to be their argument because you can argue against it, who knows. At any rate, you are being either purposefully daft, or trolling.
This is what you wrote:

"It doesn't even matter if one society thinks to use your example 30% cover is enough and another 80%. What matters is why they think that."

We already know why they think that. All societies require both men and women to cover themselves to some extent so as not to portray themselves in a sexual manner. Islam thinks like this, Western culture thinks like this, and I strongly suspect that you do too (unless you're a nudist).

Again not fully thought that thought through to the end. I refer you to my other post.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Do you live in the same country as me, because from what you've written there it certainly doesn't seem you do! Women are not encouraged to strip at every available opportunity and laughed at for not doing so! Have you been outside your house lately? Do you see most people walking round like strippers?

Did i say strippers?? But it's very common to wear revealing and tight clothes wheareas wearing loose clothing that covers u is much less common and it can be nerve wracking going against the "social norms" and doing as ur religion guides u to or simply if u wish to urself. Please don't mix my words up with ur own. I never called anyone a stripper.
Read above. Not what I wrote.

This is what you do. You assume people have a certain argument, one that you have maybe heard before, or just want to be their argument because you can argue against it, who knows. At any rate, you are being either purposefully daft, or trolling.

No. I suggest you actually read the posts again. Actually you are probably not going to understand or just misrepresent it. So to make it clear to others. A society could say 80% covering up is the norm. Another could be 30%. While one might judge either of those based on ones own sexuality, what matters is a) the motivation behind the cultural rules in place and b) whether or not men and women are treated the same. With Islam we can trace a) directly to severe misogyny and b) is clearly not the case for men having to cover up as much as women. They may cover up more than western men, but that is irrelevant.

The motivation behind the dress code in Islam is, as I have stated several times, the same as it is for every other culture. People are expected to cover up so as not to portray themselves to the public in a sexual manner. That's all it is. It is not just, as you have suggested, to "please Mo".

I have already explained why men are not expected to cover up as much as women. It is quite obvious that men and women, in terms of sexual arousal due to the visual stimulus of the opposite sex, are not the same.

When men and women are trying to appear sexually attractive, women reveal far more of themselves than men do. So it's only natural that when they're trying not to portray themselves sexually, they would cover more than men do.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by QE2
I know. You never leave the piste (I wish more people would do the same!)

Is this supposed to be a joke?
The motivation behind the dress code in Islam is, as I have stated several times, the same as it is for every other culture. People are expected to cover up so as not to portray themselves to the public in a sexual manner. That's all it is.

I have already explained why men are not expected to cover up as much as women. It is quite obvious that men and women, in terms of sexual arousal due to the visual stimulus of the opposite sex, are not the same.

You are lying. Women are expected to cover up in Islam so that only their husband is sexually aroused by them. They are the husband's sex object. That is not the reason in the West.

Spoken like a true Muslim male - those evil women seducing us with their sexuality.

You have finally revealed your true colors. And they are disgusting.

ps I have been to nude beaches with my family. So I laugh at your little "would your teenage daughter be allowed to show her breast in front of you". Because unlike you, I am not a sick pervert that gets aroused by his underage daughter's breasts. I guess that is what happens to people who worship a pedophile like Mo.
Reply 78
I wear the hijab and feel amazing.
Original post by h333
I wear the hijab and feel amazing.

So was Neo before the red pill.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending