The Student Room Group

Masters course not eligible for PG loan.

I am currently studying a Masters which takes 2 years, however, I have been told by Student Finance England that the course is not listed with them and not on their database. They advised me to contact the university, who are telling me that the course is not eligible for funding as the programme specifications they have on their back end stipulates that it can take up to 6 years to complete.

The programme is being delivered via distance learning. I checked other distance learning programmes, for example, Open University- with 2-year programmes and a maximum completion length of up to 10 years. These are eligible for funding.

When I joined the programme was advertised as a 2-year programme. It was also eligible for the Post Graduate Development Loan (PGDL) which the university recommended when I started, but are now dismissing despite giving me the information. The PGDL were offered on 2-3 year programme.

I just think there is something not quite right somewhere and looking for advice on what I can possibly do?
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi

Although Post Graduate Loan (PGL) support may be eligible to students doing a course via distance learning, if not meeting the criteria listed below then it can mean that the student may not be entitled to this type of support. To be eligible the course must be either:

a full-time course lasting 1 or 2 years; or

a part-time course lasting 2 academic years which has a 1 year Full Time Equivalent (FTE)

a part-time course lasting 3 or 4 academic years which has a 2 year FTE; or

a part-time course lasting up to 3 years* which has no FTE course.

*1 year courses will always be undertaken on a full-time basis, but 2 year courses may be full-time or part-time.

With regards to the Post Graduate Development Loan (PGDL), we can advise that this type of is not a type of support that we provide and any questions regarding the eligibility for this type of loan or how to apply you would need to speak with your University. Thanks
Reply 2
Many thanks for the reply.

It is a 2 year part time course lasting 27 months, the route I am following.In some instances, it may be possible for a student to finish the degree programme sooner if more than one module is completed a time. This option is conditional, subject to faculty approval and only available to students who have successfully completed the first 60 credits of their degree

Also the other problem I am facing is that the University are offering the degrees in partnership with a distance learning provider, who are based in Netherlands, so I am getting advise from them, and they don't seem to have knowledge of UK Funding. I am now stuck in the process, as I am confident that I am eligible for funding. The UK university advertise and awards the programmes but their international partner is providing funding advice. I contacted the offline campus who are really meant to be adding the programmes but they refused outlining it was a programme being provided in partnership. The degree is awarded by the UK university. When I contact the provider they advise that it i something to do with the programme specification

What can I do?
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi delegate1979

I would advise you to speak with the university if they have mis-informed you in regards to getting funding.
We can only offer funding to courses deemed eligible for funding.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending