The Student Room Group

OCR Chemistry 10 marker (Enthalpy)

Sup peeps; hope you're doing well.

As the title says there's this horrible Q I don't even want to look at - Can't understand what to even mention & start with. 🙃

Q: Syngas is a mixture of gases largerly made from carbon monoxide and hydrogen. It is made from the reaction between methane and ateam according to the following equation: CH4 (g) + H20 (g) (Reversable reaction arrow) CO (g) + 3H2 (g) ------ Enthalpy change = +206kJmol-1.

The industrial conditions used for this process are (a) A nickel based catalyst (b) 750 °C reaction temperature & (c) 5-10 atm pressure.

Discuss each of these reaction conditions relating them to the information shown above. Why do you think different industrial process for the manufacture of syngas might use different conditions? [10]

So that's the whole Question. I would appreciate any answers to the actual Q and the help of course. 😊

Thanks x
I'm on edexcel and I think this would come under equilibrium rather than enthalpy but different exam boards I don't know.

However, the question is focused on Le Chateliers principle so 'if there is a change in the conditions of a closed system then the reaction changes to remove the effect of the change in conditions' if that made sense?😂

So for example an increase in temperature will increase the temperature of the system so according to LC's principle, the reaction will change to reduce the temperature, thus, shifting the equilibrium to the endothermic reaction and since the reaction for the desired product is endothermic, more of the synthesis gas is produced.

I hope this helps feel free to ask questions :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply