The Student Room Group

Speech and language therapy

I'm looking to apply for this undergrad course in 2018 and the subjects I am doing are; health and social care, sociology, ICT and media. I just wanted to know if its going to be difficult to get into, also how much work experience do I need to do. I'm looking to apply in Leeds becket, Sheffield, Manchester met and uni of Manchester. Haven't decided the 5th one. Thanks
Reply 1
Hi Unknown990,
I'm a Speech and Language Therapy student in my 2nd year at Birmingham City University. Because SLT is a healthcare course its definitely harder to get onto than a lot of other courses out there - but not as hard as medicine - I don't think there are any entrance exams although you might have a really basic numeracy/literacy test at your interview. That's mostly because because there tend to be limited spaces (when I applied, BCU had the biggest intake at around 70 students) and because you need to be able to show that you are the kind of person who wants to help others and that you're dedicated to the profession you've chosen.

Everyone will have different levels of experience. I started straight after 6th form with A-levels in sociology, psychology and english language. Most of my experience came from volunteering at a sheltered housing scheme I'd done during 6th form but some people got onto the course with less and others had much more. I think its more important to be able to show what you've learned and gained from the experiences you have than being able to reel off a long list. If you can do all that in your personal statement and then at your interview you'll be much more likely to impress. It's actually quite difficult to get any experience with and actual speech and language therapist for a variety of reasons but you can find links to SLT in so many things that it doesn't really matter too much. This is because SLTs work with so many different types of people.

Don't forget that the lecturers who will be reviewing your application and conducting your interview will be looking for evidence of other skills too. Professionalism, personality, communication & inter-personal skills are all just as important and you can develop those in ways that seem completely unconnected (for example: I had a job in John Lewis that gave me a massive boost in confidence and helped me develop those skills - which I needed because they were practically non-existent before that!). The open days are a really good way to get a feel for if the course and uni are right for you so I'd attend those if you can.

I hope this comes in time to be of use,
Grace.

Quick Reply

Latest