Clearing 2004 Watch

This discussion is closed.
Lupin Loopy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Just to let you know, I've looked at the Bham website, and its already posted up the expected clearing places, and the Manchester site say the clearing places should be up by tuesday
It might be worth looking if any of your prospective universities have the clearing places up yet!
Spleenus`
Report 14 years ago
I think usually if you can see which places your first choice uni has up for clearing it's a fair bet that you'll be allowed on the course. They'll want to fill it with all the people who applied to it as a first choice, and will have considered people with lower grades too.
apple_smile
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
My course is in clearing... thats a good sign yeh???
Coz theres no way ive met the offer they gave me!!
Chubb
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Spleenus`)
I think usually if you can see which places your first choice uni has up for clearing it's a fair bet that you'll be allowed on the course. They'll want to fill it with all the people who applied to it as a first choice, and will have considered people with lower grades too.
So if for example you didn't get the minimum tarriff points for your offer and its lower than the minimum points advertised for clearing by a small amount they will still propably take you before going into clearing? If so I'm liking that (my course, Computer Science at Birmingham, is going into clearing for the same points as my offer).
female_engineer
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Hell! My course isn't up for clearing. Not sure how to interpret that...because I may have not got the grades but still got a place.
Chubb
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by female_engineer)
Hell! My course isn't up for clearing. Not sure how to interpret that...because I may have not got the grades but still got a place.
Well your course not being up doesn't really mean anything - its only when it is advertised that you can start making guesses.
Spleenus`
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Chubb)
So if for example you didn't get the minimum tarriff points for your offer and its lower than the minimum points advertised for clearing by a small amount they will still propably take you before going into clearing? If so I'm liking that (my course, Computer Science at Birmingham, is going into clearing for the same points as my offer).
not sure, but I think they'd rather take someone to fill the place guaranteed who wants to go to that uni than ooh and err though clearing. It'll depend on the admissions officers though and how many people have it as their secondary.
Fluffy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
you might find this site of use - it's med based, but the clearing advice is generic.

http://p075.ezboard.com/fbmedstudentschat4frm8

Good luck on Thursday! Hope you all get what you need.

fx
Chubb
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Anyway heres hoping that everyone on these forums get the grades that they need (even the members I don't get on with as much). Good luck everyone!
~ o ~
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Manchester Uni has got up their courses that are available through clearing if anyone is interested.
www.man.ac.uk
rottcodd
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Misbah Imtiaz)
Manchester Uni has got up their courses that are available through clearing if anyone is interested.
www.man.ac.uk
So has www.bangor.ac.uk , www.york.ac.uk and www.edinburgh.ac.uk . Not sure about the others.
Quiksilver
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
if you miss the grades slightly, who do you phone? is it simply the admissions tutor?
rottcodd
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Quiksilver)
if you miss the grades slightly, who do you phone? is it simply the admissions tutor?
It will give you the number to phone on their website. What uni are you going to?
Quiksilver
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by steerpike1985)
It will give you the number to phone on their website. What uni are you going to?
UCL

- another question: if i go through clearing, do i actually speak to the unis im applying to, or am i guaranteed a place if i have the required grades?
rottcodd
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
UCL

- another question: if i go through clearing, do i actually speak to the unis im applying to, or am i guaranteed a place if i have the required grades?
It says here http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-stu...on/index.shtml that you phone the admissions tutor for the department you're studying. What subject are you studying?

And you're not guarateed a place in clearing - you have to speak to the admissions tutor of the course, who will ask you questions about why you've chosen that particular course. They can even ask you for an interview before you are accepted.
rottcodd
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
UCL

Ah just read your profile. For Economics you need to phone this number 02076795819 ( http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-stu...ts/index.shtml )
Quiksilver
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by steerpike1985)
It says here http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-stu...on/index.shtml that you phone the admissions tutor for the department you're studying. What subject are you studying?

And you're not guarateed a place in clearing - you have to speak to the admissions tutor of the course, you will ask you questions about why you've chosen that particular course. They can even ask you for an interview before you are accepted.
thanks for all the info

im doing Economics & Geography, so since the correspondence has come from the Geography department, i guess i should phone them
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (24)
17.39%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (54)
39.13%
Nope, not that interesting (60)
43.48%

Watched Threads