Commuting or finding accommodation for a Mini-Pupillage in London?

Watch this thread
PM199861
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi everyone,

I've managed to get a mini-pupillage in central London for late this summer.
The only thing I'm worried about is whether I should commute to it, or try and find a place to stay for a week in London.
My home (when not at uni) is Northampton - just outside the traditional London commuter belt - and takes just under 2 hours to get to chambers by rail, bus and walking all in all (according to Google Maps).

Do you think this is worth it for the week or should I try to find temporary accommodation?

Thanks in advance!
PM199861
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
(Original post by J-SP)
I am assuming you mean 2 hours each way. That will be two hours on a good run. It could easily be closer to three with a delay or two.

Considering the intensity of these types of work experience (you've got to keep your focus/generally you are always learning or listening), I'd only recommend commuting if you can get it to not much more than an hour. It's not too bad doing it more than an hour if you only have one form of transport to rely on, but the combination of rail, bus and walking could make it somewhat stressful if it doesn't always go to plan.
Okay, thanks for your advice! What kind of accommodation do interns usually go for in London? - the fact that it's only a week makes me think that I wouldn't need some elaborate flat share. But notorious prices for the area, and relative lack of uni halls (that open for the summer) close by, means I don't have a lot of options...
PM199861
Rep:
(Original post by J-SP)
There will be loads of both university halls and private hall accommodation available over the summer. That's what most interns do.

This might help: http://housing.london.ac.uk/find-acc...t-term-housing
Okay, thank you very much for your help! Sorry for all the questions, it's just I've never done this sort of thing before.
Periwinkle
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
I agree with what's been said - the commute would be stressful and unreliable, which is not what you need. I strongly advocate finding somewhere to stay.

I did the same thing for a couple of minis in London and stayed in hostels near Holborn, which was fine.
MitchA12
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Hey. If you are still looking for over summer I might be able to help.

I'm a masters student just now at LSE and I am loooking to leave my lease mid June which ends mid Aug, pretty much what you are looking for. The flat is in Greenwich, 5 mins from cutty sark dlr and 8 mins from deptford station to take you to Cannon Street. Would be a single room, £780 a month with hot water included. The flat had a rooftop garden with an amazing view over London which my flat mate spent half of last summer with the good weather on. Has a balcony and hot water is included. It also has a conseirge service with a gym you can join directly below. It is a new building in the creekside development. Both are students as well so no council tax. Are you still looking? I can provide some photos.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (70)
19.23%
The paper was reasonable (134)
36.81%
Not feeling great about that exam... (108)
29.67%
It was TERRIBLE (52)
14.29%

Watched Threads