The Student Room Group

Am I an idiot for choosing KCL over LSE?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kprime2
Statistics would only show that a greater percentage of employees at investment banks come from 'target' unis. I'm saying that's because graduates from these unis generally do tend to be better than graduates from less prestigious unis. This would give the illusion that banks specifically only target graduates from these universities. There is no such cost-effective method you speak of. Applications are open for anyone from any university with any degree.

The fact is that there are people like me who pick certain universities over more prestigious ones because they like the course better, and investment banks know this. I know someone who chose Edinburgh over Oxford.

As for your last point, I chose KCL over LSE because I love maths as a subject and I would hate to study anything but maths. It is a great shame that LSE doesn't offer straight Maths.

You think that students who go to private schools are better than those who go to state schools?
Original post by Twinpeaks
You think that students who go to private schools are better than those who go to state schools?

generally speaking this is true in terms of preparation, students who go private schools are more likely to have the social skills / aptitude to likely be more plug and play than their state school counterparts. this is reflected in being better able to interview and network effectively. however there are organisations who try and bridge this gap by building and developing soft-skills to apply in the corporate world which has been increasingly more effective.

as an example, i'd use myself. whilst i was interested in finance, i couldn't even speak proper english, in that whilst i would consider myself academically alright, i didn't have the know how of corporate culture or middle class etiquitte, my speech was in whole slang until i spent the better part of my first year at uni practicing how to speak in front of a mirror. not that i was a roadman or anything of the sort, but this just wasn't common culture in the area i grew up or in school, it was never expected of us to be interested in these types of careers, so it was never an issue i could foresee and i doubt anyone cared much. nor did i do conventionally soft-skill building ECs to put myself in a position where i could go against a privately educated 'experienced/cultured' counterpart, who could hypothetically play the violin and has travelled several countries and has recieved preperation for real life and possibly held some interesting work experience. whereas my state school cared that ~60% of the students achieved a grade C+ in atleast 5 GCSEs to secure some funding.

so even with similar academics, the sheer fact that a private school individual would typically be educated in such a way that suits the environment which IB harbours puts me at a disadvantage. ofc i'm taking a very stereotypical sample, but that's how it goes on a wholistic basis. on a case to case basis this will ofc vary.

it's not about being 'better' but more prepared i would say is the right term.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by gr8wizard10
generally speaking this is true in terms or preperation, students who go private schools are more likely to have the social skills / aptitude to likely be more plug and play than their state school counterparts. this is reflected in being better able to interview and network effectively. however there are organisations who try and bridge this gap by building and developing soft-skills to apply in the corporate world which has been increasingly more affected.

as an example, i'd use myself. whilst i was interested in finance, i couldn't even speak proper english, in that whilst i would consider myself academically alright, i didn't have the know how of corporate culture or middle class etiquitte, my speech was in whole slang until i spent the better part of my first year at uni practicing how to speak in front of a mirror. not that i was a roadman or anything of the sort, but this just wasn't common culture in the area i grew up or in school, it was never expected of us to be interested in these types of careers, so it was never an issue i could foresee and i doubt anyone cared much. nor did i do conventionally soft-skill building ECs to put myself in a position where i could go against a privately educated 'experienced/cultured' counterpart, who could hypothetically play the violin and has travelled several countries and has recieved preperation for real life and possibly held some interesting work experience. whereas my state school cared that ~60% of the students achieved a grade C+ in atleast 5 GCSEs to secure some funding.

so even with similar academics, the sheer fact that a private school individual would typically be educated in such a way that suits the environment which IB harbours puts me at a disadvantage. ofc i'm taking a very stereotypical sample, but that's how it goes on a wholistic basis. on a case to case basis this will ofc vary.

I agree where you're coming from, when I made that post I was referring to being "better" on an academic level. But yeah, private school educated applicants have the upper hand significantly in regards to being prepared, and also more confident which makes a difference.

Where are you from originally? I'm from a very working class background and don't speak slang, yes I have an accent but I'd never consciously change that.
(edited 7 years ago)
I agree where you're coming from, when I made that post I was referring to being "better" on an academic level. But yeah, private school educated applicants have the upper hand significantly in regards to being prepared, and also more confident which makes a difference.

Where are you from originally? I'm from a very working class background and don't speak slang, yes I have an accent but I'd never consciously change that.

born in africa, lived in south london for most my life
Reply 24
Original post by RKeyensJ
Believe it or not, OP, you and I are (were) in the exact situation. I loved maths to the point that I self-studied further maths in the last year (and got an A* to boot). Soon the time came to decide whether I would choose to study maths to become a mathematician or something of the like, or to try make a lot of money in the exciting world of finance. Honestly, I love maths a lot, but, like you, I assume, not that much if you know what I mean so I chose LSE.

All in all, you have to decide what you want to do with your life but if your ultimate goal is to work in IB, like me, you ought to have chosen LSE. Why? because of the vast connections LSE has with banks and the bountiful opportunities for networking which is of paramount importance in the dog-eat-dog world of IB.

Disclaimer:kcllse.PNG

Hmm your application at King's was for Maths with management & finance though so our situation is quite different.

Congrats on your decision. I just can't see myself studying anything but maths, and I probably would have only got a 2:2 if I went LSE and did maths with econ
generally speaking this is true in terms of preparation, students who go private schools are more likely to have the social skills / aptitude to likely be more plug and play than their state school counterparts. this is reflected in being better able to interview and network effectively. however there are organisations who try and bridge this gap by building and developing soft-skills to apply in the corporate world which has been increasingly more effective.

I agree with most of what you say but I wouldn't say that private schools' students are more prepared for real life!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by kprime2
Statistics would only show that a greater percentage of employees at investment banks come from 'target' unis. I'm saying that's because graduates from these unis generally do tend to be better than graduates from less prestigious unis. This would give the illusion that banks specifically only target graduates from these universities. There is no such cost-effective method you speak of. Applications are open for anyone from any university with any degree.

The fact is that there are people like me who pick certain universities over more prestigious ones because they like the course better, and investment banks know this. I know someone who chose Edinburgh over Oxford.

As for your last point, I chose KCL over LSE because I love maths as a subject and I would hate to study anything but maths. It is a great shame that LSE doesn't offer straight Maths.

Stop agonising over this. You are doing a blooming maths degree for heavens sake. You will have no problem getting a job. Try and do work experience at the end of your first year. If it bothers you that much do a masters after at LSE or somewhere else.

My daughter has a maths degree and has done phenomenally well. She did a masters at Imperial ( actually rejected Cambridge to do this ) and is now doing a Phd. YOU WILL BE FINE!!!!!!
Reply 27

Couldn't have put it better myself. I can completely relate to the not being able to speak 'proper english'. I went to a state school full of ethnic minorities like myself, and the language I grew up learning at school completely lacked culture. The words bruv/blud/fam were used as full stops at the end of sentences. The word 'yo' was used to address teachers or other people. 'How are you?' was translated to 'what you saying?'. Lunch times were spent having rap battles. The only way to resolve disagreements was through 'beef' (slang for fight). A well dressed man was considered to be the person who had the latest adidas or nike track suits and 'creps' (trainers). 'Boss' didn't mean the guy in charge at work, it was the man in the chicken shop who served you wings after school. I could go on. I still to this day don't know how we got an 'outstanding' rating by Ofsted.

This was the mainstream culture in my school, however, leave school and you'll feel completely alien to the wider world. I had to self teach myself proper English through watching a lot of interviews on Youtube and watching the news.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by Luke7456
You could have gone to Warwick Imperial Manchester Durham UCL Bristol Bath etc all would have been a better choice then Kings college.

but yeah I am avoiding LSE when I apply next year for the same reason I want to do just maths and statistics. I think I am keen to cover probability so will probably filter out universities that offer straight maths degrees and just go for maths and statistics degrees. Hopefully my five next year will be,

Oxford
Imperial
Warwick
Bristol
Durham/Manhcester/Bath

I will have to give Kings a look over nearer the time to make sure but statistics don't look good they are fairly low down the table compared to where you could go with the grades they ask for. Their statistics show lower salary expectation for Maths graduates then many other options which considering they are in a high salary zone does not look good. It looks like all they have is the brand name itself, they are near top 20 in the world I guess.

Manchester?!

I had to self teach myself whole of further maths in one year (year 13) so my options were very limited. I did have an offer from Warwick but I chose King's instead. I wanted to be in London, I think it's a great location. Warwick just didn't appeal to me.

They're fifth in the world in world rankings I believe.
Reply 30

I would still choose KCL over Lancester, Newcastle, Glasgow, Strathclyde or Leeds unis. Prestige speaks for itself. I would take league tables with a pinch of salt, especially subject rankings.
Original post by kprime2
Manchester?!

I had to self teach myself whole of further maths in one year (year 13) so my options were very limited. I did have an offer from Warwick but I chose King's instead. I wanted to be in London, I think it's a great location. Warwick just didn't appeal to me.

They're fifth in the world in world rankings I believe.

who is fifth in the world in world rankings? none of the universities here make it into possible top five in the world in general or for the subject.

According to the Shanghi rankings Warwick make it to 13th and according to the QS Imperial make it to 11th for Maths. or for the general standard Imperial make it to 9th in QS rankings.

Kings would be on the edge of the top 20 in 21st place.

Kings has a fantastic reputation world wide just not for maths, and none of these universities are considered in the top 5 in the world in any rankings I have seen.

Arguably the case could be made for Kings been fifth in the UK rankings behind Oxford Cambridge Imperial and UCL.

However quite a few people would jump up to argue LSE and Edinburgh outclassed Kings.

I don't really know between these options myself, However none of these are top five in the world.

If you want to go to a UK university which is argued to be top 5 in the world your only two options are Oxford or Cambridge. Some people would dispute this and argue they barely make the top ten which I disagree with but meh.
Reply 32
who is fifth in the world in world rankings? none of the universities here make it into possible top five in the world in general or for the subject.

According to the Shanghi rankings Warwick make it to 13th and according to the QS Imperial make it to 11th for Maths. or for the general standard Imperial make it to 9th in QS rankings.

Kings would be on the edge of the top 20 in 21st place.

Kings has a fantastic reputation world wide just not for maths, and none of these universities are considered in the top 5 in the world in any rankings I have seen.

Arguably the case could be made for Kings been fifth in the UK rankings behind Oxford Cambridge Imperial and UCL.

However quite a few people would jump up to argue LSE and Edinburgh outclassed Kings.

I don't really know between these options myself, However none of these are top five in the world.

If you want to go to a UK university which is argued to be top 5 in the world your only two options are Oxford or Cambridge. Some people would dispute this and argue they barely make the top ten which I disagree with but meh.

Sorry, I meant King's is fifth among the UK universities that are top 50 or something in the world.
LSE is funded by dictators eg Mumarr Ghadafi I wouldn't go there if you paid me.
Original post by kprime2
Sorry, I meant King's is fifth among the UK universities that are top 50 or something in the world.

ah okay well yeah that sounds about right bit of debate on if they can take fifth place but they certainly have a case for that.

Yes Kings College is a very strong university just they are not great for maths.
You could have gone to Warwick Imperial Manchester Durham UCL Bristol Bath etc all would have been a better choice then Kings college.

but yeah I am avoiding LSE when I apply next year for the same reason I want to do just maths and statistics. I think I am keen to cover probability so will probably filter out universities that offer straight maths degrees and just go for maths and statistics degrees. Hopefully my five next year will be,

Oxford
Imperial
Warwick
Bristol
Durham/Manhcester/Bath

I will have to give Kings a look over nearer the time to make sure but statistics don't look good they are fairly low down the table compared to where you could go with the grades they ask for. Their statistics show lower salary expectation for Maths graduates then many other options which considering they are in a high salary zone does not look good. It looks like all they have is the brand name itself, they are near top 20 in the world I guess.

Completely disagree with this. Only Imperial and UCL are slightly better than KCL. Your statement clearly lacks research considering Bath/Durham, for example, are about as internationally recognised as Lancaster or some other low-tier Uni. KCL is a top 20 in the world and is, by definition, a very good university without a doubt.
Original post by NotKidding
Completely disagree with this. Only Imperial and UCL are slightly better than KCL. Your statement clearly lacks research considering Bath/Durham, for example, are about as internationally recognised as Lancaster or some other low-tier Uni. KCL is a top 20 in the world and is, by definition, a very good university without a doubt.

I was referring to for Maths. I am not arguing for Durham and Bath having a better reputation for universities as a whole. They do for Maths
Original post by timster32
I agree with most of what you say but I wouldn't say that private schools' students are more prepared for real life!

for banking and the associated environment, id hardly class that as a real life however. they are likely to be more well versed in playing the politics.
for banking and the associated environment, id hardly class that as a real life however. they are likely to be more well versed in playing the politics.

I thought banks were trying to get rid of the stereotype that they only employ white, private-school kids so now-a-days, being a well-spoken public school kid won't give you an advantage surely if you don't have the right skills?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending