Taking a gap year: depression/anxiety

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Situation: this and last year I suffered an (actual) nervous breakdown - like, cannot do anything, crying all the time scale breakdown - due to severe anxiety/eating disorder issues.

I thought it might be beneficial to take a gap year off to recover and figure out what I wanna do. Problem: my parents aren't exactly well-off, so would probably need to get a job. Due to a) severe social anxiety, b) ED-related physical problems, and c) the crappy job market, I think this might be hard. Morally I feel bad leeching from them (I'm 23 so a little older) but don't think I'll feel up to doing 3rd year. Also there's the issue of the CV gap/degree extension year.

Most of the anxiety came from money issues and the being totally unemployable post-graduation, so sitting around without a job isn't helping, but I'm so socially inadequate I can't get one anyway (have tried applying for placements but have been rejected - usually on confidence grounds).

Every option seems like a catch-22 so literally any advice would help. At the moment I feel hopeless and trying not to make myself suicidal (again) over it.
furryface12
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Situation: this and last year I suffered an (actual) nervous breakdown - like, cannot do anything, crying all the time scale breakdown - due to severe anxiety/eating disorder issues.

I thought it might be beneficial to take a gap year off to recover and figure out what I wanna do. Problem: my parents aren't exactly well-off, so would probably need to get a job. Due to a) severe social anxiety, b) ED-related physical problems, and c) the crappy job market, I think this might be hard. Morally I feel bad leeching from them (I'm 23 so a little older) but don't think I'll feel up to doing 3rd year. Also there's the issue of the CV gap/degree extension year.

Most of the anxiety came from money issues and the being totally unemployable post-graduation, so sitting around without a job isn't helping, but I'm so socially inadequate I can't get one anyway (have tried applying for placements but have been rejected - usually on confidence grounds).

Every option seems like a catch-22 so literally any advice would help. At the moment I feel hopeless and trying not to make myself suicidal (again) over it.
Hey, sorry things have been so hard for you the last few years. A gap year sounds like a good idea tbh- I say it a lot but your health always has to come first, without that you can't do anything. I'm the world's worst person at taking my own advice but trust me i've learnt the hard way, multiple times! Try not to worry too much about the CV gap, many people take an extra year to complete uni for different reasons and they possibly won't even notice, or know that the degree you did would normally be three years not four. It doesn't solve the money issue, but have you thought about volunteering at all? I do online and in real life (and have more in the past) and both have helped my confidence huge amounts. It gets you out the house, there's less pressure than a 'real' job, you can help people and work out what you're interested in, you can put it on your CV and it shows that you've done something productive with your time. If it doesn't work out, you've not lost anything. Worth a thought anyway. I'd also say go and talk to your uni support services if you haven't already and see what they advise, and your GP. Good luck whatever you decide :hugs:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (17)
20%
I'm not sure (2)
2.35%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (23)
27.06%
I have already dropped out (3)
3.53%
I'm not a current university student (40)
47.06%

Watched Threads