Leeno
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Using the data and your economic knowledge, evaluate the economic case for and against government intervention in car markets.
keynes24
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You could consider market failure (externalities, labour immobility) and government failure. It would be more helpful for you to indicate a plan you may have rather than just asking for an answer.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
As mentioned above I'd go for some Sort of market failure, externalities is a good one. You've got taxation on complementary products such as diesel and petrol, you have subsidies on new technology and efficient cars. But you also have govenments bailing out industries as Obama did during his first few years
TeeEff
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Leeno)
Using the data and your economic knowledge, evaluate the economic case for and against government intervention in car markets.
I'm assuming you already know what to say about the data but really you need to be telling us what you've currently got down so far. This forum works best when we can provide support and clarification for missing bits, but is not really somewhere where you should be told a full answer.

Think about why governments intervene as a starting point. Apply that reasoning to the car markets and then look more closely at whether this actually applies. Market Failure and Government Failure, as said above, are likely the most applicable topics to use in your answer.
Leeno
Rep:
?
thanks a lot for your help
Leeno
Rep:
?
(Original post by The Financier)
I'm assuming you already know what to say about the data but really you need to be telling us what you've currently got down so far. This forum works best when we can provide support and clarification for missing bits, but is not really somewhere where you should be told a full answer.

Think about why governments intervene as a starting point. Apply that reasoning to the car markets and then look more closely at whether this actually applies. Market Failure and Government Failure, as said above, are likely the most applicable topics to use in your answer.
Please I need steps on how to structure my essay from start to finish. Please I would really appreciate it, including the FOR and AGAINST arguments and conclusion etc because I am beyond confused concerning this prep, thank you!!
keynes24
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Leeno)
Please I need steps on how to structure my essay from start to finish. Please I would really appreciate it, including the FOR and AGAINST arguments and conclusion etc because I am beyond confused concerning this prep, thank you!!
You need to have an idea on how to develop your points by now. The structure varies depending on the examination board as well as how many marks involved.

The structure should be case for in favour of government intervention based on the data provided. I believe this is a 25 mark question from AQA?. Identify a market failure and suggest a suitable type of government intervention (e.g. Merit goods or positive externalities from electric cars + subsidies?) then case against refers to either the free market allocating resources efficiently or the possibility of government failure. Typical evaluations are short run vs long run, magnitude, government failure vs market failure.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • University of Bradford
    Postgraduate Open day/Evening Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • Queen's University Belfast
    Postgraduate LIVE Masters & PhD Study Fair Postgraduate
    Wed, 4 Mar '20

Do you get study leave?