Turn on thread page Beta

iPods watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Ok, not strictly education-related, but I'm thinking of investing in an mp3 player when I go back to college and was wondering if anyone here had an iPod (or any other recommendations for a personal mp3 player?)

I have a pc (xp)and USB 2.0 and I really don't want to have to pay extra for a firewire card whatsit thingymajig, just to clear up (or perhaps further confuse) the current pc situation.

What do you have/want and help me justify the expense of an iPod
    (10Gb? 15Gb? I can't afford 30Gb. I can't afford them full stop actually, but that's not the point.)

I have a Jukebox Zen, it has great transfer rates and the quality is fantastic!!!

You can find information HERE!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    I have a Jukebox Zen, it has great transfer rates and the quality is fantastic!!!

You can find information HERE!!!
    I have a question about those Creative jukeboxes. I've heard that some of them use their own data transfer software, and can't simply be used as a drag-and-drop removable drive. Is that the instance with the Zen?

(Original post by Rob S)
    I have a question about those Creative jukeboxes. I've heard that some of them use their own data transfer software, and can't simply be used as a drag-and-drop removable drive. Is that the instance with the Zen?

I use the software provided by Creative which does effectively allow you drag and drop functionallity. If you are familiar with the Creative Playcenter app, it is kinda like that...

(Original post by Grotbag)
    Ok, not strictly education-related, but I'm thinking of investing in an mp3 player when I go back to college and was wondering if anyone here had an iPod (or any other recommendations for a personal mp3 player?)

I have a pc (xp)and USB 2.0 and I really don't want to have to pay extra for a firewire card whatsit thingymajig, just to clear up (or perhaps further confuse) the current pc situation.

(10Gb? 15Gb? I can't afford 30Gb. I can't afford them full stop actually, but that's not the point.)
    I have an IPod, and it works well. Very easy to use, stores all of your music. If you have a car, then it's fantastic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered)
    I have an IPod, and it works well. Very easy to use, stores all of your music. If you have a car, then it's fantastic.
    Yeah my friend has one and he says exactly the same. He has had a couple of problems with it freezing up and not being able to fix it, but i think Apple took it back and gave him another one.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I like the look of that - where did you actually buy yours from? I think I'd prefer to buy from a shop as opposed to online.
    http://www.johnlewis.com/stores/prod...rsid=1366&m=-1 looks very similar & I bought my pc from John Lewis and they were very helpful. I'd like to be able to get a good look at it before handing over the cash.

£300, blimey - is that what you paid for yours? Sorry about all the questions, I'm indecisive and then some.

Oh, I like the look of that - where did you actually buy yours from? I think I'd prefer to buy from a shop as opposed to online.
    http://www.johnlewis.com/stores/prod...rsid=1366&m=-1 looks very similar & I bought my pc from John Lewis and they were very helpful. I'd like to be able to get a good look at it before handing over the cash.

£300, blimey - is that what you paid for yours? Sorry about all the questions, I'm indecisive and then some.

I paid £320 but I got mine last January so its come down in price a bit. I did buy mine online but I know that PC World sell them and failing that, I know that Creative run a mailorder scheme.

The in the one in the link seems to be the "Nomad" version. I don't really know what this means as far as specification goes but its the same price so I would expect something with the same capabilities. I would definitely go along and check it out before you buy (I didn't need to because I could play with a friends before hand), this will make sure you don't pay for something you don't like.

ReputationRep:
    The in the one in the link seems to be the "Nomad" version. I don't really know what this means as far as specification goes
    No, me neither - I'm gonna go down to Heelas tomorrow and be patronised by a 22 year old recent computer-y graduate type. I'll just press the buttons and attempt to appear knowledagble. I hope it's the same old git as when I bought my pc. He was nice. I felt safe admitting my ignorance to that old soul.

Thank you for your help.

No, me neither - I'm gonna go down to Heelas tomorrow and be patronised by a 22 year old recent computer-y graduate type. I'll just press the buttons and attempt to appear knowledagble. I hope it's the same old git as when I bought my pc. He was nice. I felt safe admitting my ignorance to that old soul.

Thank you for your help.

No Problem, and don't let the spotty midget pressurize you tommorow, just concentrate on the fact that you will be his boss in 5 years time...

ReputationRep:
    I'll go away in a minute - I promise.
    I've just seen the one you posted earlier on Amazon for £249.99, but on the creative website you get the remote free (Paying £299.99 - the remote is £49 apparently).

Do you have a remote? Or is it unecessary?

I'll go away in a minute - I promise.
    I've just seen the one you posted earlier on Amazon for £249.99, but on the creative website you get the remote free (Paying £299.99 - the remote is £49 apparently).

Do you have a remote? Or is it unecessary?

I have a remote but unless you do what I do (put the player in a pocket of you bag) you don't really need the remote. It depends on if you want to be manually changing the tunes or you feel the need for the remote. It is not essential though!!!

(Original post by loftx)
    Yeah my friend has one and he says exactly the same. He has had a couple of problems with it freezing up and not being able to fix it, but i think Apple took it back and gave him another one.

I'm having the same eratic freeze-ups on my 15GB iPod. I am 3000 miles away from home, can you send me directions or give me an E-mail address to MacIntosh, so I can report it???

Thanks,
    <[email protected]>

ReputationRep:
    get a 20GB iPod.

20000MB / £300

around 60MB/£1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered)
    I'm having the same eratic freeze-ups on my 15GB iPod. I am 3000 miles away from home, can you send me directions or give me an E-mail address to MacIntosh, so I can report it???

Thanks,
    <[email protected]>
    No idea, he just took it back to the retailer, If you bought it from a big chain store just try and find a branch where you are.

ReputationRep:
    I think my sister just got a 40GB one. Don't know what she's going to do with all that space but I daresay it all adds up (?!), she's really thrilled with it.

ReputationRep:
    get a mindisc player. it costs less, and you get funky minidiscs, cos i mean how many songs are you gonna put on the ipod. but if you are one of those people who have 1000's of mp3's on your hard drive, then get something with a large capacity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SasunD)
    get a mindisc player. it costs less, and you get funky minidiscs, cos i mean how many songs are you gonna put on the ipod. but if you are one of those people who have 1000's of mp3's on your hard drive, then get something with a large capacity.
    i have a sony NetMD mindisc player and its very good; you can drag and drop mp3 straight onto disc

ReputationRep:

I have an iPod and I luv it! there very expensive somethin like 400-500 dollars for the top model, but there worth it! they can hold like 7'500 songs and have games a song alarm blah blah, tons of extras, quite a bit like a palm, it even has a calender!

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.