The Student Room Group

Can you still get the marks if you write two answers?

for example in C2 trig, the question it did not make it clear if it wanted it to 3sf or a round number. Will I get the marks if I still write one which is to 3sf and one as a whole number? If someone please make it clear that would be great. I know it may be obvious to some! but I want all the marks!

LOL I MEANT TWO NOT "TO"
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
I'm not entirely sure what you mean - can you post an example?

But in general, if you give two different versions of the same number, you would not be marked down. If you gave two different answers, you would not get the marks even if one is correct.
You could write
=3.58727388438384922
=3.59 (3 sgf) or =3.587 (3dp)

But you couldn't simply write =4. (Unless asked to round to whole number)
Hope that makes sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pangol
If you gave two different answers, you would not get the marks even if one is correct.

Not true for AS or A level Maths. The rules vary between boards but this isn't true for any of them.
Reply 4
Original post by tiny hobbit
Not true for AS or A level Maths. The rules vary between boards but this isn't true for any of them.

Really? I have always been under the impression that including an alternative to a correct solutions indicates that you don't really know what you are doing, and that you are hedging your bets by including alternatives, which would therefore disqualify you from any marks. I mean, if you show a correct method and an incorrect method, who is to say which one you wanted to be assessed?
Original post by Pangol
Really? I have always been under the impression that including an alternative to a correct solutions indicates that you don't really know what you are doing, and that you are hedging your bets by including alternatives, which would therefore disqualify you from any marks. I mean, if you show a correct method and an incorrect method, who is to say which one you wanted to be assessed?

Which board do you do for Maths A level?

Edexcel:
If a candidate makes more than one attempt at any question: If all but one attempt is crossed out, mark the attempt which is NOT crossed out. If either all attempts are crossed out or none are crossed out, mark all the attempts and score the highest single attempt.

OCR:
If there are two or more attempts at a question which have not been crossed out, examiners should mark what appears to be the last (complete) attempt and ignore the others.

These are both from the mark schemes which are freely available on the exam board websites.

Quick Reply

Latest