sophie2017
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am going to study Biology and Chemistry a level in college and i don't know whether i should do history or psychology alongside it, Please can you give me some advice.
riatsala
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi Sophie,

At the end of the day it comes down to you - which you enjoyed more at AS (or before). I studied both of them at A-level and I'll give you some pros and cons for your situation

-Psychology would probably compliment Biology and Chemistry better, being a more scientific subject. There's also a fair bit of biology behind Psychology.
-History is entirely essay based, unlike Psychology where quite a lot of marks come from small 2-4 mark answers. You may find it difficult doing Biology and Chemistry and then having to suddenly switch to lots of reading and 45 mark essay writing. On the other hand, you may enjoy that fluctuation.
-Psychology is more relaxed. (I did History, Politics and Psychology) came out with A* A* B respectively. I could concentrate my efforts on my favourite subjects, while having a subject I could chill back in - but not fall too far behind, because it wasn't exactly very hard. Doing 3 'hard' subjects may be quite pressured in the final months as you can't exactly let either History, Biology or Chemistry slip - going into an exam unprepared for those three could be very detrimental. (I did Bio AS too)
BUT
-History is 'probably' a more respected A-level. But then again Biology and Chemistry are already putting you in high regard. And I presume you want to pursue the Sciences if you're certain on both Bio and Chem? Either way History looks really good as a subject, shows good writing skills, good analysis etc etc all in one.

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter too much, as long as you're not wanting to take either further. I honestly don't know anything about your situation but I'd probably pick Psychology. Compliments the sciences and also very interesting to learn about.

I know some of these thoughts are all over the place, but hopefully some of them triggered a decision within you. Good luck!
username2324315
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'd recommend History, as it shows that you have analytical skills as opposed for purely scientific skills. Psychology is slightly essay based, but History is more so and also more respectful.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (136)
17.82%
It's just nice to be back! (204)
26.74%
Not great so far... (274)
35.91%
I want to drop out! (149)
19.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed