The Student Room Group

Engagement ring too cheap?!

Hi Guys

I'm planning on proposing to my significant other and I found a ring I think she'd really like from this jewellery store we shop from occasionally

https://www.thenvme.co/collections/rings/products/white-gold-plated-2-rounds-bijoux-wedding-engagement-ring-with-austrian-crystals?variant=32958678479

I was wondering... what do you guys think? She's going to inevitably see it on the site and so will see the price. Do you think that it's too cheap?

There are quite a few rings I wouldn't mind choosing for her on there
https://www.thenvme.co/collections/rings

Any recommendations? My budget it around 200 quid so please be considerate!
Thanks guys
Don't spend too much as you'll regret it.
Reply 2
Not too cheap at all. My engagement ring only cost £25 and my wedding ring is only costing £30. The right partner wont care about how much or how little you've spent on a ring, it'll be the meaning of the ring that matters most to them so just go for it if you think any of those rings are her style :smile:
Reply 3
It's nice but clearly gold plated and will wear down quick. I'd go for at least gold rolled
Hmmm, tough choice. If you're going for a silver colour wouldn't it just rust in a few months time if it isn't real? Maybe she would want to keep it with her but rusting rings cause an illness (Can't remember the name; something starting with T)

If it was me, I would probably prefer something similar to the 2nd option since it wouldnt rust and all but silvers pretty nice.

Anyway, I bet she would appreciate anything you get her though. Best of luck!
Any amount of money on an engagement ring is too much money. The concept arises from two facts - 1. De Beers created the idea that you have to have it and 2. It was a sign to women that the man can provide for her and a family. There is no reason to fall for this sucker.

I would advise getting a fake diamond. They are these days so good, and so much cheaper to produce, that no one would ever notice. And you wouldn't have broken tradition.
Reply 6
I wouldn't worry about the price, it is the thought and meaning behind it rather than the cost that is important... to me anyway! I would just want to make sure it is a quality that will last, she will be wearing it everyday for a long time, so the metal needs to be hard-wearing :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
Hi Guys

I'm planning on proposing to my significant other and I found a ring I think she'd really like from this jewellery store we shop from occasionally

https://www.thenvme.co/collections/rings/products/white-gold-plated-2-rounds-bijoux-wedding-engagement-ring-with-austrian-crystals?variant=32958678479

I was wondering... what do you guys think? She's going to inevitably see it on the site and so will see the price. Do you think that it's too cheap?

Thanks guys

If she is from Hackney or Stratford then it is in fact too expensive. But if she is from Belgravia or Mayfair then I suggest to you add some 0s to your prices. Check her house address and check with the council to see if it's a council estate - that should do it.

Good luck! Let me know if you have any more questions, I'd be happy to help.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi Guys

Thanks guys

Firstly congratulations!!
Traditionally and engagement ring should cost around one months income but that's not feasible for everyone
The most important thing is that you take time to buy her something that you know she will love and that it represents your love for her.
It's meant, and I sincerely hope it is, forever so it's important to get something that has enough quality to stand the rest of time You don't want it to go green if she forgets to take it off in the shower!
If your engagement isn't a surprise then you can go out together and shop round. If you're ready for this step then she knows your income/expenditure so you should be open about your budget
Rings don't have to be diamonds and remember also that there are some real quality bsrgains to be had in vintage and second hand markets to be had. ( just don't go to cash converters!!!)
Hope that helps and good luck!
It depends upon your significant other's view. It is meant to be a symbol, not a high-value gift, but (hopefully) also needs to last and be to their liking. Your budget is low (compared to what is typically spent), but it's what it means to them that matters.
Doesn't really matter does it , having someone who loves you and wants to spend the rest of their life with u is ... well... you can't even put a price on it can you !!! A ring is merely a symbol of that.
The price of the ring doesnt matter whatsoever, if she think its too cheap, she is definitely the wrong person. The thought of the ring and the fact that you picked it especially for her is the only thing that should matter :h:
The question isn't it is cheap, it's will she like it, if she loves you she won't care how much you spend . Uk and us ring sizes don't convert perfectly so perhaps look in outlet shops so you can see rings in person, it's less risky than online :smile:

my engagement ring was £80ish and it's showing no signs of wear and tear after 8 months of wearing it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest