Live in a new estate, toads & newts EVERWHERE

Watch
Twinpeaks
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
After graduating uni, I've moved in with my mum and her partner for a bit. They've recently bought a new house and there's still houses being built in the surrounding area.

The land the estate is built on was/ is fields and woodlands, and I've noticed the past few weeks that in the evenings there's loads of toads and newts out on the main road. Quite a few of the toads are mating.
I know some think I'm pathetic for caring, but it makes me so sad because quite a few of them are getting squashed because of the passing cars. So you just see toads and newts splattered on the road

I know with all the things going in the world it's daft to care about toads and newts? But it just gives me a horrible feeling. I go out and pick up as much as I can and put them on the grassed area, but that's only providing a short term solution and I look like a right weirdo lol.

This was once clearly a thriving habitat for wildlife, toads and newts not only deserve to flourish in their own right, but provide vital food for birds and owls.

When I first moved in I used to see pheasants wandering around the garages, but now more and more of their land is lost, I don't see them anymore

I know we have an issue with population, and a housing shortage in our country but I just wish we could do more to protect our wildlife.

So is there anything that can be done? Or is it best to just stop caring.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (143)
42.56%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (39)
11.61%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (28)
8.33%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (72)
21.43%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
10.12%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (20)
5.95%

Watched Threads