Hashtag_Kuba
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey,

I'm 15, nearly 16 and I finish school on 30 June (14days after I turn 16). I thoguht about doing a summer job to save some money and I thought of writing up a CV, is there any tips or websites that give tips about how to write one?

Thanks in advance
Kuba
Kevin De Bruyne
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Hashtag_Kuba)
Hey,

I'm 15, nearly 16 and I finish school on 30 June (14days after I turn 16). I thoguht about doing a summer job to save some money and I thought of writing up a CV, is there any tips or websites that give tips about how to write one?

Thanks in advance
Kuba
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-...-to-write-a-cv

Here is a starter for 10

At that age in particular strutting is important yes, but also make sure that you draw on any experiences as best you can eg volunteering.
PhysicsGeek445
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Make sure you include any of your achievements!! Whether it be school or outside of school. Make sure you sell yourself (but not be too cocky)
Nikita23_23
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hey,

Thanks in advance
Kuba
I was going to do the exact same thing except I finish school on 14th of June so I need to look for one sooner but it’s difficult
Rxnaaa
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
The best tip I received was to literally bullet point your achievements and experiences. Managers literally skim through your CV so a long CV might not even get picked up. As a rule of thumb, I heard that CV’s are literally supposed to be a side long but I personally think that’s too short so nothing longer than one and a half to 2/3 a side (printed double-sided). If anything catches their eye, they will interview you so that’s when you can elaborate more on that. Make sure to use a good font and size. Use bolds, italics, underline headers. I personally like to insert lines to break up my sections but my friend doesn’t. It’s personal preference. Start with your personal information, a summary, your skills, your work history (including past work + volunteering and bullet points of tasks when you were doing that job), your education and literally the smallest section about your hobbies. Include something that’ll make you stand out and tailor it to the job if necessary. So for example, if I was applying to a grocery store, I’d say that I like cooking and own a handful of cookbooks (which I do). If it was a beauty store like Lush or The Body Shop, I talk about how I’m really into the Korean skin care routine. Tailor your CV according to the job you apply for. Once you have your CV that you are satisfied with, keep updating it as you get more jobs and experiences. Good luck!
('('-('_')-')')
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Great idea!
(Original post by Rxnaaa)
The best tip I received was to literally bullet point your achievements and experiences. Managers literally skim through your CV so a long CV might not even get picked up. As a rule of thumb, I heard that CV’s are literally supposed to be a side long but I personally think that’s too short so nothing longer than one and a half to 2/3 a side (printed double-sided). If anything catches their eye, they will interview you so that’s when you can elaborate more on that. Make sure to use a good font and size. Use bolds, italics, underline headers. I personally like to insert lines to break up my sections but my friend doesn’t. It’s personal preference. Start with your personal information, a summary, your skills, your work history (including past work + volunteering and bullet points of tasks when you were doing that job), your education and literally the smallest section about your hobbies. Include something that’ll make you stand out and tailor it to the job if necessary. So for example, if I was applying to a grocery store, I’d say that I like cooking and own a handful of cookbooks (which I do). If it was a beauty store like Lush or The Body Shop, I talk about how I’m really into the Korean skin care routine. Tailor your CV according to the job you apply for. Once you have your CV that you are satisfied with, keep updating it as you get more jobs and experiences. Good luck!
lewisFreer
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
As a 16 yr old, I just suggest you don't need a CV that formal. Just write up something you are proud of in a logic order. Be honest, objective and concise.
Bang Outta Order
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Just put volunteer work (nanny, cleaning, gardening, community,etc), and academic achievements (list grades, work experience), as well as uni or career ambitions. Extracurricular skills. Personal interests and talents. There ya go.
Harry14
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Your CV could include your previous experience and any qualifications that you already have, be sure to impress your potential employer by summarising why you want the job for example: "To help people" or "To develop my teamwork skills" and why they should employ you for example: "I am kind and caring" or "I am hardworking and dedicated."

Good Luck.
abz127
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey,

Thanks in advance
Kuba
Hey, just wanted to make a few points to help you.
At school I got taught to simply use word or publisher, but Indeed has a function where you can simply fill in the blanks, and download your CV!
This works great, but also
1. Try really hard to keep it all on one side. An employer might not flip over, even if it is only doubled sided; they've got a lot to do, so make sure it's all on one side.
2. Add a picture (or two) with you on. I'm currently looking for a job myself (I'm 16), but I've heard about people who have applied to every job under the sun, but the one that has a picture on the CV; they got a call back for, within hours. Having a picture on your CV makes a huge difference, and shows the employer what you look like, rather than simply a load of information about you on one page.
3. Don't apply online. Personally, I've applied for loads on Indeed, but none have called back. Someone said to me, that they had done the same, but one day, they took their CV into Burger King, and the same day, they got a call for an interview.

Hope this helps ☺
Also lmao I've just noticed that this was 2 years ago, but I'm still going to reply, in case anyone else needs any tips for CV writing.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by abz127)
Hey, just wanted to make a few points to help you.
At school I got taught to simply use word or publisher, but Indeed has a function where you can simply fill in the blanks, and download your CV!
This works great, but also
1. Try really hard to keep it all on one side. An employer might not flip over, even if it is only doubled sided; they've got a lot to do, so make sure it's all on one side.
2. Add a picture (or two) with you on. I'm currently looking for a job myself (I'm 16), but I've heard about people who have applied to every job under the sun, but the one that has a picture on the CV; they got a call back for, within hours. Having a picture on your CV makes a huge difference, and shows the employer what you look like, rather than simply a load of information about you on one page.
3. Don't apply online. Personally, I've applied for loads on Indeed, but none have called back. Someone said to me, that they had done the same, but one day, they took their CV into Burger King, and the same day, they got a call for an interview.

Hope this helps ☺
Also lmao I've just noticed that this was 2 years ago, but I'm still going to reply, in case anyone else needs any tips for CV writing.
Your tips are fairly wrong though

Just use Word for CVs, no tables

You are right that your CV should be no more than one side of A4. However, in the UK you should never put a photo on a CV. That will be a lot of what is stopping you get responses.

The main reason you are getting no responses though is that you are young, with no particular skills that anyone else your age hasn't got. There's likely very little to make you stand out in a good way to employers. Trying to get invited to interview through a massive bulk recruitment organisation like Indeed, is like hoping to win the lottery.

You need to apply directly to companies, in your local area. Narrow down the competition by finding the less well advertised opportunities. You have much more chance of being picked out of a pool of 20 applicants from an advert in a shop window than you are out of 2,000 on Indeed.

There's a CV Help forum on TSR
Last edited by threeportdrift; 1 month ago
i.hate.gcses
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
also make sure not to seem boring
i.hate.gcses
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by i.hate.gcses)
also make sure not to seem boring
so add hobbies
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (75)
14.97%
1 (68)
13.57%
2 (65)
12.97%
20.56%
20.36%
5 (88)
17.56%

Watched Threads