ughh.hannah
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I've started revising for Politics and English Lit but I have no idea how to approach History, I'm learning Tudor and Russian history, we've nearly finished the courses but I'm stressed that I don't know how to revise for History...
username2337813
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Once you find out, let me know.
I'm doing British politics and Russia for history and I have NO IDEA how I'm supposed to revise
riatsala
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Everyone is different, I'm fairly sure everyone in my A-level class took a different approach to revising. Depends on a lot of factors, how seriously you want to take it, how much you can revise,

How I did it
1) Took away my computer internet from April-May. You'll be amazed how much more work you get done when you're not playing games or watching constant youtube videos. Celotaped my ethernet cable into a plastic bottle 20x over, then threw it up into a tree in my garden. =]
---
2) Throughout March and April I went through the entirety of the Politics and History core text books the school gives you - making pages of notes on the information within.
---
3) Then begin concising those notes down and understanding them.
---
4) Create cue cards for factual points, just simple things, not massive walls of texts. E.g When did Henry VIII become King? how many troops were in the English army in 1550?
---
5) Alternate between reading through your notes and learning those cue cards. A good way is separating them into topics, don't stop until you can get all of the cue cards in a certain topic correct.
---
6) Know the style+way to approach essays. Know what makes a good introduction, how to PEE effectively, what to go in a conclusion.

Personally for essay writing subjects I never did past papers. We did enough of them in class and I already knew how to go about answering them, just seems a waste of 45 valuable revision minutes. Spent my time actually learning the stuff, at the end of the day the exam question will be different. But as I said, completely individual, this approach worked for me because I'm addicted to gaming (get rid of internet) and also have a good short term memory (cue cards). You may not want to go through the text books writing up everything, you may just want to do every single past paper that's happened. It's only early March, I say trial a few things and see what's working best for you, you can then apply that next year efficiently to A-level.

Either way, good luck!
ughh.hannah
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Thank you so much, I'm actually starting to revise today so again thank you!!
Adamski2409
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What a response I am totally (hopefully) going to do this!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (149)
60.08%
I don't have everything I need (99)
39.92%

Watched Threads