Should I pick the course with a year abroad or will I lose friends?? Watch

beenfluencer
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am really stuck choosing between 2 courses I've had an offer for (both language/linguistics).

One is a 3 year course where I am required to spend the full 2nd year aboard (my choice being Japan or USA from the list) OR a 3yr course that doesn't have an option to go aboard and study. It might seem obvious but I am worried that if I pick the study abroad option I will come back 3rd year with little/no friends, since that course has about 10 choices for uni's to go to abroad I might not go with anybody from my class and I will have to start all over, including looking for somewhere to live.

But if I pick the straight 3 years in the UK I will build stronger friendships, which I want since my best friends are at uni, and I see them rarely and I only have friends from work rn. My friend (who is in 3rd year) is on a work placement in a different city that she went to uni in and says she rarely speaks to the friends she made there but has to move there in 17/18 for her final year.

I'm really stuck on which to choose since I have moved around abit and haven't had a decent close friendship since I was 17 (I'm 20 btw)... putting aside career goals (since the courses are the same) what would you choose?
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The year abroad, its an opporunity you might not have again. Decent friends wouldnt lose touch
agrew
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Obviously the year abroad.
beenfluencer
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
thing is the uni where it has the year abroad isn't really in the city so it could be dull/have crap nightlife but the straight 3yrs will be in the city centre
UWS
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
As harsh as it sounds, forget the friendship and focus on what will benefit you more when you graduate. The year abroad will be very useful and give you the experience and extra knowledge into the subject and who's to say you won't make friends there? You won't get many opportunities like that to go abroad and study whereas you can always make friends
mollyanne98
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by beenfluencer)
I am really stuck choosing between 2 courses I've had an offer for (both language/linguistics).

One is a 3 year course where I am required to spend the full 2nd year aboard (my choice being Japan or USA from the list) OR a 3yr course that doesn't have an option to go aboard and study. It might seem obvious but I am worried that if I pick the study abroad option I will come back 3rd year with little/no friends, since that course has about 10 choices for uni's to go to abroad I might not go with anybody from my class and I will have to start all over, including looking for somewhere to live.

But if I pick the straight 3 years in the UK I will build stronger friendships, which I want since my best friends are at uni, and I see them rarely and I only have friends from work rn. My friend (who is in 3rd year) is on a work placement in a different city that she went to uni in and says she rarely speaks to the friends she made there but has to move there in 17/18 for her final year.

I'm really stuck on which to choose since I have moved around abit and haven't had a decent close friendship since I was 17 (I'm 20 btw)... putting aside career goals (since the courses are the same) what would you choose?

Hi,

Don’t let worries about friends stop you from having amazing once in a lifetime experiences. You may not have the opportunity to live/study in a country like Japan ever again but you have your whole life to build strong friendships. You may regret it later on if you don’t go and if I were in your position I’d definitely be going abroad. You’ll also meet people on your year abroad, as well as having some people also in your position with you for the year, so you’ll build stronger friendships with them.

Hope this helps,

Molly
New- Emperor
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
with twitter and facebook ectyou don't have to llose contact and you can defo keep your frends through that a yeare abrord id a chance of a life time. I here Japan is an amazing place to live and America have sme butful unis and if you jon a fraternaty thats you set over ther for life.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (70)
14.14%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (76)
15.35%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (94)
18.99%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (196)
39.6%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (26)
5.25%
No particular grades needed (33)
6.67%