How difficult is to pass grade 2 ABRSM exam?

Watch
username3063694
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi Everyone,

Is there anyone who has ever done Abrsm exam grade 2? Are the examiners usually strict?

Honestly I don't feel confident on the rhythm of the pieces and about the technique (Scale, Arpeggios etc ). The exam should be the 6 of April and I'm thinking to give up....
Djerun
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Nec86)
Hi Everyone,

Is there anyone who has ever done Abrsm exam grade 2? Are the examiners usually strict?

Honestly I don't feel confident on the rhythm of the pieces and about the technique (Scale, Arpeggios etc ). The exam should be the 6 of April and I'm thinking to give up....
Experience:
Two grade 8 distinctions.
Working on third

Depends on the person really. You just have to have a positive vibe to you. Sometimes they just want to see someone to brighten up their day! My grade 8 piano examiner was very relaxed and told me I was doing well in my exam!
username3063694
Rep:
?
(Original post by Djerun)
Experience:
Two grade 8 distinctions.
Working on third

Depends on the person really. You just have to have a positive vibe to you. Sometimes they just want to see someone to brighten up their day! My grade 8 piano examiner was very relaxed and told me I was doing well in my exam!
Thanks for your reply.
The thing is I still do lots of mistake and sometimes I slow down while playing because I'm not sure about the rhythm. Also I don't know if I have to play repetitions or not...
Djerun
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Nec86)
Thanks for your reply.
The thing is I still do lots of mistake and sometimes I slow down while playing because I'm not sure about the rhythm. Also I don't know if I have to play repetitions or not...
What instrument do you play? If you don't mind me asking!
In my grade 8 exam I completely scuffed up the scales part. I ascended the scale doing 12 notes to a bow, when descending I did a number other than 12! Still gave me a brilliant mark!

Generally, no we don't play repetitions in exam format as the examiner doesn't have much more time.
username3063694
Rep:
?
(Original post by Djerun)
What instrument do you play? If you don't mind me asking!
In my grade 8 exam I completely scuffed up the scales part. I ascended the scale doing 12 notes to a bow, when descending I did a number other than 12! Still gave me a brilliant mark!

Generally, no we don't play repetitions in exam format as the examiner doesn't have much more time.
I play the piano. really hard instrument.... I'm just worried to make to many mistakes but if this is your experience I already feel more confident ☺
Djerun
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Nec86)
I play the piano. really hard instrument.... I'm just worried to make to many mistakes but if this is your experience I already feel more confident ☺

I like to think of myself as a very experienced musician for my age (17), am working on my diploma which is pretty hard stuff! Trust me, piano is hard to start out with but you just get into a sort of groove with it! Start learning a few songs that you like and you'll advance tremendously! With what you've said I think could you do very well in your exam. Just have a happy face when you go in and practice your scales,( one at a time, seperately then together is what I do)

Good luck!
LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Nec86)
Thanks for your reply.
As someone else said, we don't do repeats in exams.

Try practising the aural a lot - it's not too difficult at Grade 2 level so you can get 18 easy marks.

(Experience - Grade 8 Piano)
PTMalewski
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Can somebody tell me, what is the point of ABRSM actually? Can you be a music teacher without university diploma or something?

We do it simplier here, post soviet-block: If you're good, you are allowed to study music at academy. If you're not, you're not.
username3063694
Rep:
?
Thanks everyone for your answers and encouragement. I really appreciate that!

Post soviet block?? What are you talking about??
PTMalewski
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Nec86)

Post soviet block?? What are you talking about??
Countries east of the Elba river, in general. We don't collect diplomas that don't prove high skills as such would only waste time and nerves.
Nevermind, I've read an article on Wiki already.

Anyway, better concentrate on your development as a musician, than exams on levels which yet rather prove you can't play, than can.
Djerun
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by PTMalewski)
Can somebody tell me, what is the point of ABRSM actually? Can you be a music teacher without university diploma or something?

We do it simplier here, post soviet-block: If you're good, you are allowed to study music at academy. If you're not, you're not.
They kind of prove to yourself the progress that you've made, and are instant proof to other people that you re proficient at a particular instrument! UCAS points are accumulated on these exams and they aid in getting into Conservatoire (music academies) or Universities. You're right, Conservatoire's don't really care if you have them or not, but it's a nice little achievement to have. Getting a diploma actually gives you a title to your name too. You can teach without them, just people will expect you have one
El Salvador
Badges: 21
Report 4 years ago
Super easy. Ever if you're without talent, you need only to practise for less than a month to pass it, if not get at least a merit.
LlamaLikeEllie
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I just did my grade 5 exam yesterday, although it was in flute. I actually got a distinction in my grade 2 flute, and it was my first ever music exam. Honestly, it really can depend on the examiner. Most of mine have been really nice, but the one I had for my grade 4 didn't seem very welcoming, and that was the lowest score I've ever had.

The scales are worth 21 marks, the same as the sight reading. So whilst it's good to get a good mark in them, they're not the most important part of the exam. As long as your pieces are fine, I'm sure you'll pass
username3063694
Rep:
?
Thanks everyone for the replies!

I have one more question: do I have to play scales hands together or hands separately first?

Thanks a lot!
Lovinlife2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Nec86)
Thanks everyone for the replies!

I have one more question: do I have to play scales hands together or hands separately first?

Thanks a lot!
The syllabus will always require the candidate to play RH (right hand), LH (left hand) and the both hands together, and on the day of the exam, these will be picked by the examiner (e.g.- they may say, C major right hand and you'd do it with your right hand only, then they may call out: G major both hands together etc.)

Just practise both separate hands and both hands as you never know what you'll expect on the day and it's easy marks to score in an exam when you do it well and also at grade 2, it's not too hard
SaraaB08888
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
its not hard as long as you have practiced everything you need to, in my opinion is was easier than I thought
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (98)
36.03%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (41)
15.07%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (14)
5.15%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (28)
10.29%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (31)
11.4%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (33)
12.13%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (27)
9.93%

Watched Threads