The Student Room Group

Need some advice 😥

I'm starting this Sept to do a MA in Criminology, I'm currently a single mum who is not working and claiming ESA (support group) and DLA lower rate on both components. I just wanted to know once I tell the DWP nearer the time, would my benefits be stopped. I've been reading on the internet, that going back to studying could possibly trigger reassessments. I'm really worried that I won't be able
To survive financially going back to uni, thinking about not even bothering to go.

Please help
Going back to uni won't stop your benefits. Nor will it trigger an assessment.

If you're on income based ESA, your student loan (regardless of whether you take it or not) will be taken into account. Some of it is ignored (disregarded) as income. As a full time student on DLA, you're also entitled to housing benefit. (and as a full time student, exempt from council tax)
Reply 2
Thank you for replying, I need to find out if I'm on income based ESA (I have no idea).
No problem. :smile:

It should tell you on your award notice. Or phone the DWP and they can let you know.
Reply 4
Ok will do, thank you
On a slightly unrelated note:
There's a part of student loan you're entitled to apply for that isn't counted at all as income for benefits worth a few extra grand a year.
Reply 6
Original post by Tiger Rag
On a slightly unrelated note:
There's a part of student loan you're entitled to apply for that isn't counted at all as income for benefits worth a few extra grand a year.

Hi can you tell me more about this please
Original post by abundancexx
I'm starting this Sept to do a MA in Criminology, I'm currently a single mum who is not working and claiming ESA (support group) and DLA lower rate on both components. I just wanted to know once I tell the DWP nearer the time, would my benefits be stopped. I've been reading on the internet, that going back to studying could possibly trigger reassessments. I'm really worried that I won't be able
To survive financially going back to uni, thinking about not even bothering to go.

Please help

Original post by Tiger Rag
Going back to uni won't stop your benefits. Nor will it trigger an assessment.

If you're on income based ESA, your student loan (regardless of whether you take it or not) will be taken into account. Some of it is ignored (disregarded) as income. As a full time student on DLA, you're also entitled to housing benefit. (and as a full time student, exempt from council tax)

I would add that if you do your course part time (less than 16 hours a week) you entitled to the full amount of ESA, DLA/PIP, Council Tax Support and Housing Benefit.

Some people do there courses part time along side a job. Just because your on ESA support group doesn't stop you from taking this route either. You could just do half time study or get a job up to 15 hours a week or no less than £115. This is called Permitted work and it enables a good majority of ESA Support Group/PIP/DLA claimants to reach the median wage level. Most councils don't make any changes on housing benefit or council tax support either.
Reply 8
Original post by illegaltobepoor
I would add that if you do your course part time (less than 16 hours a week) you entitled to the full amount of ESA, DLA/PIP, Council Tax Support and Housing Benefit.

Some people do there courses part time along side a job. Just because your on ESA support group doesn't stop you from taking this route either. You could just do half time study or get a job up to 15 hours a week or no less than £115. This is called Permitted work and it enables a good majority of ESA Support Group/PIP/DLA claimants to reach the median wage level. Most councils don't make any changes on housing benefit or council tax support either.

Thank you for your reply and information. I called up the university's money advice team yesterday and was told I would be taken off ESA but may be allowed to stay on DLA, the new postgraduate loan 30% of this would be considered as income, when reassessed by housing benefit, therefore having to contribute to my rent. Overall I will be worse off and financially struggling as £5,700.00 out that loan is for fees. I think it's better if I wait a couple of years and save what I can before going back to uni. I believed this new postgraduate loan, was to help assist those financially who wanted to persue their masters, this definitely does not seem to be the case for some 😥😥
Thank you for your reply and information. I called up the university's money advice team yesterday and was told I would be taken off ESA but may be allowed to stay on DLA, the new postgraduate loan 30% of this would be considered as income, when reassessed by housing benefit, therefore having to contribute to my rent. Overall I will be worse off and financially struggling as £5,700.00 out that loan is for fees. I think it's better if I wait a couple of years and save what I can before going back to uni. I believed this new postgraduate loan, was to help assist those financially who wanted to persue their masters, this definitely does not seem to be the case for some 😥😥

I think you could probably off set the post graduate study loan-income by doing a couple hours of permitted work or going onto tax credits by getting a 16 hour per week job.

You can earn 5980 a year without loosing your ESA on permitted work. This would offset the 30% of £5000/£10000 which would be £1500/£3000 per year.

I can tell you as a self employed type it is possible. There is just to much useless information out there these days by people who want to penalize disabled people like us.

If you want some help with sorting all the financial stuff with this I could help across private messenger or some third party app like skype etc.
(edited 7 years ago)

You've been told wrong - if you receive DLA you can claim ESA as a student. And assuming your health needs havn't changed, you would absolutely stay on DLA. Your loan will be counted as income but only 30% for both ESA and HB, but as you will be claiming ESA, you will be entitled to the full HB allowance automatically. Bit of a minefield, but that should be the case for you.
Reply 11
Original post by illegaltobepoor
I think you could probably off set the post graduate study loan-income by doing a couple hours of permitted work or going onto tax credits by getting a 16 hour per week job.

You can earn 5980 a year without loosing your ESA on permitted work. This would offset the 30% of £5000/£10000 which would be £1500/£3000 per year.

I can tell you as a self employed type it is possible. There is just to much useless information out there these days by people who want to penalize disabled people like us.

If you want some help with sorting all the financial stuff with this I could help across private messenger or some third party app like skype etc.

I'm getting confused, I was under the assumption you can't claim ESA and work.
I'm getting confused, I was under the assumption you can't claim ESA and work.

As RowanB said above the system is a mind field.

You can work while your on ESA but you must not work past 16 hours or earn more than £115 per week. However you must fill in a Permitted Work Form before doing any work.

You can keep this money and it won't effect any of your benefits. You aren't even taxed by standard band 20% or NI since its well under the personal allowance per year and your NICs are already paid by your ESA.

I think your best off taking the post graduate loan and doing permitted work on the side. This way your be better off.

As RowanB said, you've been told wrong. Being a student doesn't affect your DLA at all. Unless your course contradicts your care / mobility needs.

I don't know how the post graduate loan affects ESA and housing benefit.
You can work and claim DLA quite legitimately and so would assume that study is exactly the same. My partner has been on DLA for years and has worked 40 hours a week all that time and it doesn't make a blind bit of difference.
I'm on PIP (Enhanced Mobility and Standard Daily Living) and claim ESA in the Support Group. Mine however is contributions based only due to my partner working so I think there's slightly different rules for that. I've been told I can keep my ESA even with my loan but I could manage without it.
Reply 15
Hi thanks for the information. I have decided not to go ahead with postgraduate study, as I'm so deflated with the financial side of things. 😥😥
Hi thanks for the information. I have decided not to go ahead with postgraduate study, as I'm so deflated with the financial side of things. 😥😥

I would really reconsider it as like I've said, you should still be able to claim some ESA, as well as all your DLA and full housing benefit.

Quick Reply

Latest