Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Predicting your results watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sashface)
    We should embrace our insanity!!!
    I tried telling the doctors that, but would they listen? Noooooooooo!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priya)
    nothing, i'd rather wait and spend the money on going out on thursday to commisserate/celebrate
    Agreed!

Btw.... your not the only ones who feel like this.... I do exatly the same thing, its when you lie in bed and its that peaceful moment where you have the chance to think and your mind goes mad about all the marks you would have gained and those you would have lost....

I am sooo bad when it comes to doing that! It never reassures me though, because as soon as I think, 'oh yeah, i got that bit right', something else comes into my head and I think, 'ahhh, but I got that question wrong!'.

All this worry is taking years off of my life I tell ya!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiAnY)
    When i'm trying to sleep at night i'm like constantly doing calculations in my head to work out what marks i reckon i got! It's doing my head in and is totally sad, especially as they are only AS results, but i can't stop it!
    I have actually worked out how many UMS marks I need from each module to get the grades I need! None of them are too outrageous I'm glad to say... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Misbah Imtiaz)
    I have actually worked out how many UMS marks I need from each module to get the grades I need! None of them are too outrageous I'm glad to say... :rolleyes:
    Thats a nice position to be in.....

ReputationRep:
    I don;t need that many UMS in any of my subjects to get A's. But I'm pretty sure I screwed up P3 on a major scale. And Chem unit 5...I just made up half the paper....oh dear, so much to worry about, so little time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theepw)
    Thats a nice position to be in.....
    Yeah, I thought so too until I compared them to how well the exams actually went. I reckon I am going to miss out on 2 As by just a few marks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Misbah Imtiaz)
    Yeah, I thought so too until I compared them to how well the exams actually went. I reckon I am going to miss out on 2 As by just a few marks
    Stop teasing yourself.... what happened was meant to happen. we can all talk about how far off a mark we were.... dont let it get to you, we all think like that and its natural.

In my case, I hope that I scrape a good mark rather than drop!

ReputationRep:
    I did was working out the marks actually before my exams! I was stressing then...but it's worst now, because in Sociology I should have resat a module because now I need an A in my coursework and an A in the exam to get an overall B, I already got an A in my January exam...so lets hope these turn out the same (which is unlikely, as I think I did crap in that exam!!!)

I am dreading it though! I can't sleep!!! Keep adding up marks and it's sending me loopy (and my family too, as I keep going on about how I have probably failed).

ReputationRep:
    Hope u dont mind me jumping on your bandwagon in saying that im so glad im not the only one with these crazy night time negative chain of thoughts. Its so crazy. One minute im lying there and the next minute im up with a calculator, piece of paper and a pen trying to work out wot i got. Because this is my AS Level results im not really familiar with this UMS system but i understand now, i think and i reckon that im borderline A or B in Chemistry and History (My 2 best subjects), so its not really a clear state of mind to be in. Thursday just isnt coming quick enuf!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I do calculations too! And adding up the hours. Whenever I feel stressed out, I do more calculations to calm me down. In one subject there was no coursework or January exam, so everything rests on three exams. One wasn't too good, so I have done lots of maths to see what grades I would need in the other exams to compensate for varying levels of badness on the other. And I count the hours til results too (fifty nine).

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't it be good if there was a program in which you could enter your UMS marks for each module and it would give you a predicted grade?

Sigh. yes, I am being completely taken over by the anticipation of results day.
    But can you blame me?
    I don't think it would work but I can't blame you! I keep thinking of different reasons why they should release the results early.

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't it be good if there was a program in which you could enter your UMS marks for each module and it would give you a predicted grade?
    gee, you could be old fashioned and do it in your head or with pen and paper :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Why does England have this absurd system of offers before results? In France, and elsewhere in europe, don't students just do their bacs, wait for the results (which they apparently receive within a couple of weeks, not that we're slow or inefficient in this country or anything <heavy sarcasm>), and THEN apply to the universites. Isn't it less pressure that way? At least you don't have your whole future pending on a couple of grades.

ReputationRep:
    Someone did make up an excel spreadsheet awhile back....can't remember who....

I don't know how to attach it - not physically, but it's an .xls file which can't be uploaded

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by firebladez777.5)
    Why does England have this absurd system of offers before results? In France, and elsewhere in europe, don't students just do their bacs, wait for the results (which they apparently receive within a couple of weeks, not that we're slow or inefficient in this country or anything <heavy sarcasm>), and THEN apply to the universites. Isn't it less pressure that way? At least you don't have your whole future pending on a couple of grades.
    Yep i think that sounds like a better system.

if anyone is unsure how to do it this is how you work out what % you need to average to get your required grade - i will do an example with it

add up your UMS from AS, any Jan modules, coursework etc (maths:349)

take this nuumber away from the UMS you need for your required grade (need an A, so 480... 480-349 = 131)

divide this number by the number of possible UMSs you could have got this summer - (I took 2 modules with a max of 100 UMS each, so 200... 131/200 =0.655)

times by 100 to get the % you need (65.5% - ooh - this is lower than i thought )

so I would need to get mid-C's in the summer to get an A overall (woo! this has cheered me up now, as long as i remembered my modules right...)

also remember that with the grade boundaries like for maths this would probably mean I needed to average 50% or whatever in actual raw marks...

i hope this helps someone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LS.)
    Someone did make up an excel spreadsheet awhile back....can't remember who....

I don't know how to attach it - not physically, but it's an .xls file which can't be uploaded
    Yeah i've got that, i can't remember who made it.

ReputationRep:
    i find History AS level hard to predict becuase they don't tell you what you got in your coursework until results day! which i don't understand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cellardore)
    i find History AS level hard to predict becuase they don't tell you what you got in your coursework until results day! which i don't understand.
    same with German for a2- our staff were really vague and wouldn't give away anything. the spanish people got told what they'd got in their coursework though. it was annoying because we didn't know what we had to do in the exam to maintain the grade we wanted

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by firebladez777.5)
    and why does it take them 6 weeks to mark the a-levels? in japan they get their results within 10 days of their last exam. god knows they don't spend 6 weeks making sure the results are accurate. bloody lazy examiners

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.