The Student Room Group

Applying to university as a foreign HOME student without Biometric Residence Permit

I am a non-British citizen of UK with the indefinite leave to remain

I know that there has been a law change regarding biometric residence permits, and that foreign students need to obtain them, in fact I cannot even work without one.

But I have an issue obtaining a biometric residence permit due to me losing my recently expired passport and making it very difficult proving that I have stayed in the country as no other documents are present.

I have no idea how the issue will be resolved or how long it will take. So the question is, can I still apply to university without having a biometric residence permit, as I would need one for work but not sure if its same for studying in a university and receiving student finance from the government.
Student finance will need evidence of eligibility so your best bet is to contact them and find out what they need. You can apply to uni but will need a visa/evidence of permission to stay so that you can start. Have you contacted the home office about your situation? Are they working on it? Wait till that is resolved first and then start other things. When are you wanting to apply to uni for?
@AlleyCat393

I actually believe that I'm in limbo with my documents. I haven't been doing much over the last 4-5 years, I didn't work and mostly wasted time (living with parents) however I did study A-levels on my own, did some earlier and am going to finish them this summer. So I was thinking of applying through clearing.

My situation with documentation is very very difficult. They require to see all the passports that have been issued since your indefinite leave to remain, and I have only had 2 (should have had 3) but I wasn't doing anything so I didn't need it, and now I am applying for a new passport at the embassy. Another problem is that I have LOST 1 of my 2 passports but only when it was already expired. On their form it says if you cant provide all passports then provide a police report or reference number for theft or loss of any missing passports (it was already expired I didnt report it) OR evidence of continuous residence in the UK during that period like council tax letters, GP, letters from school, electricity and gas bills etc.

I don't have any of that, because I live with my parents as I am in mid 20's now, and it seems like its going to be really hard getting a biometric pass, so my only hope is that the university can accept me as a home student without it and so can the student finance with the new passport and my documents from home office showing I have a valid visa. My parents can probably send some money while I study, as I can't work without it, but its really tough I don't know what to do, I somewhat panic and think of going back to my country and how much time I have wasted studying by myself for university since I can't do anything here
Original post by GettingIntoSpace
@AlleyCat393

I actually believe that I'm in limbo with my documents. I haven't been doing much over the last 4-5 years, I didn't work and mostly wasted time (living with parents) however I did study A-levels on my own, did some earlier and am going to finish them this summer. So I was thinking of applying through clearing.

My situation with documentation is very very difficult. They require to see all the passports that have been issued since your indefinite leave to remain, and I have only had 2 (should have had 3) but I wasn't doing anything so I didn't need it, and now I am applying for a new passport at the embassy. Another problem is that I have LOST 1 of my 2 passports but only when it was already expired. On their form it says if you cant provide all passports then provide a police report or reference number for theft or loss of any missing passports (it was already expired I didnt report it) OR evidence of continuous residence in the UK during that period like council tax letters, GP, letters from school, electricity and gas bills etc.

I don't have any of that, because I live with my parents as I am in mid 20's now, and it seems like its going to be really hard getting a biometric pass, so my only hope is that the university can accept me as a home student without it and so can the student finance with the new passport and my documents from home office showing I have a valid visa. My parents can probably send some money while I study, as I can't work without it, but its really tough I don't know what to do, I somewhat panic and think of going back to my country and how much time I have wasted studying by myself for university since I can't do anything here

I have a bit of experience with BRPs so I feel ya! Only the Home Office and your embassy can advise you about immigration. That sort of thing is sensitive and is usually viewed on a case by case basis. The bits the uni and student finance will be concerned with is whether or not you're eligible for finance (and can prove it) and whether or not you have permission to study in the UK. Now both can be contacted and if you explain the situation to them they can tell you what documents they need from you and what you need to do. I'd do that first after you've identified which unis still have places for the course you want in clearing, whether you meet their requirements and contacted them.
Original post by alleycat393
I have a bit of experience with BRPs so I feel ya! Only the Home Office and your embassy can advise you about immigration. That sort of thing is sensitive and is usually viewed on a case by case basis. The bits the uni and student finance will be concerned with is whether or not you're eligible for finance (and can prove it) and whether or not you have permission to study in the UK. Now both can be contacted and if you explain the situation to them they can tell you what documents they need from you and what you need to do. I'd do that first after you've identified which unis still have places for the course you want in clearing, whether you meet their requirements and contacted them.

At least you seem to have had experience with them, for me they are a bit out of reach due to me not having a passport and living with my parents studying and preparing for uni. I remember that even the first exams that I took (which later I realized wont get me into the degree of my choice) in 2013 and 2014 allowed me to show them my expired passport. Even at the edExcel center when I did oral exams I had no problem O.O so I thought why would I need a passport, all I do is take a bit of a break and study physics and maths so I can go to uni, and noooow this

I have found the passport that I have lost, another one that holds ILR.
Unfortunately I of course still don't have a passport I was suppose to have after my last one expired in 2013.. TT

I know I can't work like that, but I believe I can still travel with my new passport and an old passport with an indefinite leave to remain on it.

I just really need to find out whether universities accepting you here as a home students is the same as travelling in and out of the country (being allowed to use ILR visa in an old passport along with a new passport that doesn't have a visa and with Home Office letters confirming I have received my ILR) or whether it needs an up to date biometric permit proof or a visa in the newest passport.

Real life and death question for me, if I can't work until it's all figured out and God knows how long it will take, I'd at least want to study...

I still couldn't figure out whether I can enter a university like that and also apply for a student finance (maybe not). No clue.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi GettingIntoSpace, I kinda am in the same situation or maybe not IDK, but I will try to explain my situation. I also am in international without the biometric indefinite leave to remain. I have the indefinite leave to remain on paper and a photo was taken of me as a child. Same photo for over 15 years. However, the HOME Office has given me papers that confirm the IDL before the actual IDL on paper. If you know some sort of ID or maybe even through your parents, you should be able to atleast get a new one. As, for universities, if you decide to apply through UCAS, normally they don't ask before giving you a place. It is more to identify are you a HOME Student or not since you can't take a student visa without first having a place at the University. The best way would be to contact the University you want to go explain the situation and explain the situation to Home Office as well. You might have to lie at some point in regards to these kinda stuff at the Uni but try so without risking too much.

Good luck though, hope you get accepted.
As noted, you can apply but the issue is SFE. They MAY accept your passport with your original ILR confirmation in it, even if it's expired (I mean this is what they did before the BRPs), but you would have to confirm that with them.

Unfortunately you kind of did the exact wrong thing regarding the lost passport. You should always retain all passports, and if you lose when you should report it immediately to the police and embassy if it's current, or to the embassy if expired. In particular if it has documentation in it (e.g. your ILR visa) you need to ensure it's very well documented.

Realistically you're going to need to liaise with the embassy (or consulate, whatever) as they will be the first point for resolving this, preferably as soon as possible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending