The Student Room Group

Sick of feeling skint and prospect-less

Scroll to see replies

Original post by royal1990

I have so many friends whom have come into money, and even you watch telly and see these house buying programmes and the buyers have like £150,000 budgets and it is bafflinc how anyone can have that amount of money to hand.

s

They don't have 150,000 to hand? They'll get a mortgage, it's usually two people both earning around 16k to qualify for one?
Original post by Trinculo
I don't trust anyone who claims to be a student but has more than 55% battery at any given time

Why?

I'm a STEM student and I know just how low the battery can go at uni before I need to get home and charge the thing. Calc: remaining battery power divided by distance to get home (convert top/bottom to common measurement).
Original post by xianlong
Lmao wtf is this calculation

Posted from TSR Mobile

Let me give you an example:

My tablet (which does not use a standard charging cable) lasts for hours on one full charge of its battery. I went to a 3 hour* class which used 50% of the battery. So 50 = 3 hours*. It takes me 1/2 hours* to get home. How much time do I have left before I need to get home & charge the thing? Also estimate usage in hours if I want to use it on the bus / in mate's car.

* power use converted to common measurement of hours makes the Maths easy.

If usage is planned well, then I don't get why the OP said he can't believe someone is a student if his battery is 55+%, especially when the heavy users will use their charging cable in the class.
(edited 7 years ago)
this weird calculation doesnt give you anything meaningful lol. battery remaining/battery used in time to get home = number of times you can go to and from your house before the battery runs out? wat

How much battery remains until you get home, factoring what you will use it for on the way home. It's not hard unless you think KS4/GCSE maths is hard. It's a lot less weird than the Maths I'm doing at uni, applying maths used in physics to IT.
I am 26 years old and a graduate earning £7.25 an hour at 35-40 hours a week. I come out with £between £400-450 a fortnight, but it never lasts long. Rent is £300 pm, bus fare is £15pw and then there are bills and such (which is split between us both), im left with about £60 at end of my working week.

I've always worked hard but it hasnt gotten me anywhere. I graduated uni and still nearly two years on I havent landed a junior role because of my lack of experience. I have had interviews but alas never get past them.

If i had a better job I can afford to go away to the US (my childhood dream), to bug nice things. But Im getting nowhere.

I suffer from anxiety in relation to my job as I hate it...but im stuck at the moment.

Im just very frustrated that all my efforts at uni and im my life have landed me in ge very place I didnt want to be in the first place. On minimum wage in a unprofessional job with bullies

A degree is not enough to get a job. You need work experience, preferably in the area you want to work in. You said you didn't get past the interview. The fact that that the employers are letting you go to the interview stage means they are interested in you. Did you ask for feedback on how you did at interview?

There are jobs in Digital Design but the field is very competitive. You will need to get your portfolio together as well as some work experience. What area in Digital Design do you want to go into?

I think you should stop envying rich people - this is a waste of your time, which could be better used in sorting out your anxiety and getting your career started. There'll always be rich people. I know an investment banker mate who got married - the wedding costs my pay for the whole year x several years of my life.
nah mate it's meaningless. you want how much battery you can drop down to before you've gotta go home? doesn't even require a calculation. you want how much battery you've got left. literally just battery left - battery used going home. you're overcomplicating a simple calculation to get a useless answer

you dont need to worry about me not getting it lmao... lets just say unless you're a pure maths student at cambridge, if i dont understand it, you probably dont either haha

The battery you have left is not what's left because the phone is constantly using up the battery unless you switch it off.

Clearly your maths isn't even KS4 level, so don't name drop Cambridge. Since I'm doing it at degree level I'm going to stop trying to talk to my neighbour's cat who doesn't understand anything except Dreamies and playtime.:biggrin:
Reply 26
Original post by ThePricklyOne
A degree is not enough to get a job. You need work experience, preferably in the area you want to work in. You said you didn't get past the interview. The fact that that the employers are letting you go to the interview stage means they are interested in you. Did you ask for feedback on how you did at interview?

There are jobs in Digital Design but the field is very competitive. You will need to get your portfolio together as well as some work experience. What area in Digital Design do you want to go into?

I think you should stop envying rich people - this is a waste of your time, which could be better used in sorting out your anxiety and getting your career started. There'll always be rich people. I know an investment banker mate who got married - the wedding costs my pay for the whole year x several years of my life.

I have always known that a degree isnt enough to get me a job, well certainly not a degree alone.
I have a lot of general working experiemce, however, I have never had any relevant work experience or held down a job in the design industry as of yet. Unfortunately I also didn't do a work placement, although I have volunteered in my spare time for organisations on an ad hoc basis designing bits and pieces. All in all I have a years worth of freelancing/voluntary on my cv.

Yes, understandably I know emplouers are interested, but even with feedback its udially a case of 'we had another candidate that was a better fit or more balanced skills'. Although feedbacl has varied across my interviewing. I think its a confidence issue with me too.

Recenty ive decided I'd like to go into User Experience design however I didnt study this at length apart from a yr 1 module. I may sign up for a few free classes to bulk up my cv.

I think the envy over myrich friends cause me to feel low right now and i guess i just want to start my career. But im losing patience. I guess all this talk about my degree been worthless doesnt help as I genuinely Worked hsrd for it.
im confused. your calculation gives you a unitless value, and everything you've said after that doesnt make sense.

and lmao attempting to talk down to a trinity maths offer holder. im actually very triggered rn hahaha. u dont even do pure maths! what uni do u go to? if its a poly im gonna piss myself laughing

An offer holder university graduate.

I always had an assumption (and an admiration) that Chinese (given your handle) are good at Maths. I stand corrected. Some of them are clearly pig sh*t at it.

I'm p*ssing myself laughing now. You've made my day.
(edited 7 years ago)
I have always known that a degree isnt enough to get me a job, well certainly not a degree alone.
I have a lot of general working experiemce, however, I have never had any relevant work experience or held down a job in the design industry as of yet. Unfortunately I also didn't do a work placement, although I have volunteered in my spare time for organisations on an ad hoc basis designing bits and pieces. All in all I have a years worth of freelancing/voluntary on my cv.

You've clearly worked very hard and I think you should be proud of that.

Your uni would have connections with industry and they'll know when work placements come up. Even if you have graduated, you could still contact your uni's student union, and your former tutors to see if anything comes up. You alumni organisation (social group for ex-students) at the uni could help too.

Yes, understandably I know emplouers are interested, but even with feedback its udially a case of 'we had another candidate that was a better fit or more balanced skills'. Although feedbacl has varied across my interviewing. I think its a confidence issue with me too.

I get that it is a confidence issue from your first post. Worth asking when you get feedback what they would consider a better fit / more balanced skills.

Recenty ive decided I'd like to go into User Experience design however I didnt study this at length apart from a yr 1 module. I may sign up for a few free classes to bulk up my cv.

The free classes will give you some skills but not useful to add to your CV. You need something that make you unique from the other applicants, and/or something that will make the employer think 'I'm interested in this guy'.

I've got a job because the employer was intrigued by my course and my gap year spent travelling and working helped too. I've asked for feedback after I got the job (to address any areas of weakness) and that's what they told me.

I think the envy over myrich friends cause me to feel low right now and i guess i just want to start my career. But im losing patience. I guess all this talk about my degree been worthless doesnt help as I genuinely Worked hsrd for it.

There's a lot of degee and uni snobs on TSR, like the OP who argued with me on this thread. They're just using the name of a top uni to buy them some class. I've never seen Stephen Hawkings do that on TSR :biggrin:.

I don't think your degree is worthless. You survived uni and you got a degree, you clearly have the brains. :thumbsup:

Your job is knocking down your confidence and you should go looking for another job, even if the wage is low, just to get away from that sh*thole.
Reply 29
Original post by ThePricklyOne
You've clearly worked very hard and I think you should be proud of that.

Your uni would have connections with industry and they'll know when work placements come up. Even if you have graduated, you could still contact your uni's student union, and your former tutors to see if anything comes up. You alumni organisation (social group for ex-students) at the uni could help too.

I get that it is a confidence issue from your first post. Worth asking when you get feedback what they would consider a better fit / more balanced skills.

The free classes will give you some skills but not useful to add to your CV. You need something that make you unique from the other applicants, and/or something that will make the employer think 'I'm interested in this guy'.

I've got a job because the employer was intrigued by my course and my gap year spent travelling and working helped too. I've asked for feedback after I got the job (to address any areas of weakness) and that's what they told me.

There's a lot of degee and uni snobs on TSR, like the OP who argued with me on this thread. They're just using the name of a top uni to buy them some class. I've never seen Stephen Hawkings do that on TSR :biggrin:.

I don't think your degree is worthless. You survived uni and you got a degree, you clearly have the brains. :thumbsup:

Your job is knocking down your confidence and you should go looking for another job, even if the wage is low, just to get away from that sh*thole.

Yeah, studying at uni for me was a challenge, one I enjoyed and that I knew I could achieve. I knew i was academically capable, so much so that upon dropping out of one institution I went tp another and started over.

My education from GCSE wasnt plain sailing and I entered higher education as a mature student, and so my story is different.

I've had many roadblocks in my way, that the average teen doesnt face.

With regards my progression, I feel like ive gone backwards since leaving uni. Yes I have had a few interviews, but its been hard. Ive used my careers service twice since leaving and their advice wasnt so great. I basically carved my own path with regard drafting applications.

Its just pretty annoying how I see other people making easy work of it. Landing interviews easily while I painstakingly search for months.

I graduated in Jan 2016 but applied well before graduation as I had mitigation and delayed my ceremony.

I have been thinking of signing up to like online certification sites that provide resources and certs in subjects, but they come at a cost and I dont know if it will help me any much more.

Part of my issue is also that im suffering financial hardship too- debts and such like and so my job hunt is harder when depressed. But my MH issues are another kettle of fish.

Yes I dunno if youve read my other threads, but I work in mcdonalds and its just a dreadful place to work. Degrading, managers are bullies and power mad and i just feel ive sold myself out.

I feel since I started working here I gave up on myself. I sort of validated to myself that thid was all im good for and fear that ill settle.

The wkrkers are immature and its just dead end. People have made remarks about my performance at work which annoys as im disabled too.

Yeah guess im stuck in a rut and need to realise my worth. Only took the job so i could move in with partner and support her to pay bills and move to a city. But the risk hasnt paid so far.
I have been thinking of signing up to like online certification sites that provide resources and certs in subjects, but they come at a cost and I dont know if it will help me any much more.

Be careful. Some of those cert sites are dodgy & expensive. They won't get you into your field unless you already have experience. I've seen a CCNA course with a price tag of £2500 for only 5 days training. It's useless unless you're already working in the field. & 5 days is not enough time to train up a newbie to take the exam.

Yes I dunno if youve read my other threads, but I work in mcdonalds and its just a dreadful place to work. Degrading, managers are bullies and power mad and i just feel ive sold myself out.
The wkrkers are immature and its just dead end. People have made remarks about my performance at work which annoys as im disabled too.

Yeah guess im stuck in a rut and need to realise my worth. Only took the job so i could move in with partner and support her to pay bills and move to a city. But the risk hasnt paid so far.

I've worked at a burger shop in my gap year. Not my fav place. The workers & manager were OK, but hated the snotty customers. They treat the workers really bad as if you worked there you forfeit your right to any respect.

You could try for an paid admin job. I think this is more suited to your MH and other issues, as you can work on your own more, and involves less interaction with dodgy staff than a burger shop. Perhaps in a company involved in Digital Design. This will give you an opportunity to get some experience as an insider in the company. You can then do a side-ways move into Digital Design at a later stage.

My work place had people who started on unpaid placements.They were allowed to apply for the posts that came up within the company. One is now permanent. The better route for your situation is to do this via a paid admin job.

You could sign up with a agency to get you this type of job or just any job to get out of McD's. Agencies can be good or v lazy. You may have to ring them up every day to remind them to find you work.
Have you thought about going into programming, software developent, developer jobs?

There is s lot of demand and the pay is very good.

Pick two languages such as Java and C#, learn the programming concepts then develop 5 projects each such as android apps, web apis, management system etc.

Also learn Javascript, node, Angular, HTML, css, SQL, no SQL, test driven development, oop, Linux.

After you learnt all these, put your projects on GitHub and put a live link to your CV then start applying for junior jobs.

There is a lot of demand for these jobs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending