Do we need to know about PWR in Nuclear Fission (OCR A2 SPEC)?

Watch
BrainJuice
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Can anyone please tell me if we need to know about this. It is mentioned in the kerboodle book but it could just be background. Thank you very much for reading, and for responding.
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by BrainJuice)
Can anyone please tell me if we need to know about this. It is mentioned in the kerboodle book but it could just be background. Thank you very much for reading, and for responding.
PWR is simply the method for exchanging the heat collected from the fission reactor vessel to an isolated steam generator to drive the turbines producing electricity.

Because the primary coolant is used to moderate the fission reaction, the water used becomes highly radioactive. It is therefore necessary to both seal and Isolate the primary coolant from escape into the environment by use of a heat exchanger and a secondary water circuit generating steam to drive the turbines.

You may be asked a question relating to benefits and disadvantages when comparing the various methods of fission reactors - but this is supposition on my part. It doesn't harm your knowledge to know a few facts as general background information though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (37)
9.87%
Okay (109)
29.07%
A bit lacking (139)
37.07%
Not good at all (90)
24%

Watched Threads