Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering whether phycology counts as a science on a uni application?? and I swear it should have an S in it somewhere!

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, interesting question. I'm not sure.
    i do know however that it DOES need an S which should replace the H:

Psychology

ReputationRep:
    I think it just really depends on the university and course. Ask the admissions tutor. I've noticed some prospectuses say things like "Entry requirements: at least one GCE AL Science subject (psychology and geography count as a science)"

ReputationRep:
    It's not a natural science, it's a social science.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! I knew it looked wrong!! Do social sciences count for getting into a Uni course where you need biology, and another science is preferred?

ReputationRep:
    i would do chemistry or physics to be safe cause a lot of unis that require a science wont be happy with psych as a science

ReputationRep:
    For one of the uni courses I want to do, it days it prefers your third subject 'to be a science' - looking on the more detailed entry profile, psychology/geography ect were included (this is at Nottingh for pharmacy).

But you really need to email admissions tutors/check online prospectus ect to be certain.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I was going to do a degree in animal behaviour, which is 'animal psychology'...anyway they said they wanted a science and psychology is counted as a science.

ReputationRep:
    It's a widely debated topic - most universities who offer psychology would most likely classify it as a science as it ups the subject's status a bit. Most offer the course as both a BA and a BSc so that the students can choose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leaby)
    It's a widely debated topic - most universities who offer psychology would most likely classify it as a science as it ups the subject's status a bit. Most offer the course as both a BA and a BSc so that the students can choose.
    What is the different between a BA, BSc(?)...I asked the careers advisor and she was just like "it doesn't make any difference really it's just what the university prefer to use"!?!? She wasn't much help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlondeFunkyChic)
    What is the different between a BA, BSc(?)...I asked the careers advisor and she was just like "it doesn't make any difference really it's just what the university prefer to use"!?!? She wasn't much help!
    BSc Psychology is usually more scientific and mathematical i think.

ReputationRep:
    I would expect that the BA would have more of arts/social science focus, maybe more of the social psychology stuff. Where as BSC would concentrate on the more scientific areas of the psychology.

It's more related to law and sociology than physics, biology and chemistry - social science.

ReputationRep:
    As far as I'm aware that is true... If a university offers them both there will be little if any difference between the two. If a university offers only a BSc, though, it is likely that it will be much more science-based.

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Teesside University
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.