Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ive been looking at possessions insurance etc. and there's quite a big difference between the 2 companies that ive considered.

Cover4Students.com is £59 p.a (this is entirely web-based)
    Endsleigh is £92 p.a.

This is based on, as far as i can tell, roughly the same cover with same items etc. e.g. personal possessions, laptop outside room, mini-disc, good quality watch

Has anyone already at uni used these companies, or does anyone know whether they're reliable or not, have major loopholes, are efficient with claims?

Also will be with natwest for student account - do they cover all this stuff?

Im not going to do anything until after my results, but need to start thinking about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessie)
    Ive been looking at possessions insurance etc. and there's quite a big difference between the 2 companies that ive considered.

Endsleigh is £92 p.a.

This is based on, as far as i can tell, roughly the same cover with same items etc. e.g. personal possessions, laptop outside room, mini-disc, good quality watch

Has anyone already at uni used these companies, or does anyone know whether they're reliable or not, have major loopholes, are efficient with claims?

Im not going to do anything until after my results, but need to start thinking about it.
    If you are in halls they may provide some cover for you. Also another option is getting your parents to cover you under their policy which is what I did.

ReputationRep:

Endsleigh is £92 p.a.

is there any chance you could post the links to these websites, as I definatley need to think about it too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    If you are in halls they may provide some cover for you. Also another option is getting your parents to cover you under their policy which is what I did.
    I thought that most insurance companies do not allow you to do this as their insurance is not valid for halls of residence. I would be very careful about doing this - insurance companies will probably accept it if you're living in a rented flat/house, but many do not provide insurance for student Halls of residence.

Afraid I don't know about either company. Sorry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hoofbeat)
    I thought that most insurance companies do not allow you to do this as their insurance is not valid for halls of residence. I would be very careful about doing this - insurance companies will probably accept it if you're living in a rented flat/house, but many do not provide insurance for student Halls of residence.

Afraid I don't know about either company. Sorry
    It's best to ask them.

I'm in a different situation because I have my own house but for what it's worth I've never had a problem with direct line. I pay extra to have valuables insured outside my house and for accidental damage but it's been worth it.

They also replace things rather than send you the cash - unless you tell them you want cash, so in my case - have mobile phone stolen on day 2 days later the identical phone arrives from direct line. Someone steps on my laptop and busts the screen - the following day it is collected to see if it can be repaired and 2 days later a new laptop arrives.

ReputationRep:
    I get Personal Possesions Insurance up to the value of £3,000 included in the cost of my accommodation.... have you checked you don't get any?

ReputationRep:
    www.cover4students.com 0870 990 8590
    www.endsleigh.com 0800 028 3571

(hope this helps)

endsleigh was in the ucas clearing thing they sent thru.

im hopefully going to oxford and i havent had anything thru from the college yet, so i dont know what'll be covered. both of these sites ask you whether you are in halls or not, so im assuming that they'll cover me cos i ticked yes. think ill phone them anyway and double check.

ReputationRep:
    my insuracne was covered in my hall fees last year and was only £11 with Endsleigh so they obviously discount it massively for universities that virtualyl make it compulsery. Wait before you throw away your money and see if it is included in your rent.

ReputationRep:

Endsleigh is £92 p.a.

Geeez! How did you get it that cheap..my quote from both of those comes out at around £180/90 p.a.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stu673)
    Geeez! How did you get it that cheap..my quote from both of those comes out at around £180/90 p.a.

damn, there goes some more drinking money.

MB

ReputationRep:
    my friend has her car insurance from endsleigh and ive had quotes for cars and theyre very nice and all really up for knocking money off for students

(i no we're not talkin about ca r insurance here but insurance is insurance lol, just wanted 2 let ya no endsleigh have quite a good rep.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Not for actually paying out when you need them too - no point in saving a few tenners now only to find yourself at a huge loss if the worst did happen.
    o rite :confused:

ReputationRep:
    i included in it:

possessions up to 3000
    laptop worth up to 750 - in and out of room
    mini disc worth 129
    watch worth 80

and im going to be in a halls of residence.

with endsleigh its actually about 8 quid more if i go to exeter rather than oxford! would imagine if you're in london and not in halls, itll be quite a lot.

If I want quite a lot of insurance cover then is it worth just having normal possession insurance as opposed to the student flavour?!? :confused: I would like to ensure general items (specifically clothes) to a value of £5k and then my computing equiptment to a minimum of £2k. I'm having trouble finding any company who will let me go this high on their student insurance.

ReputationRep:
    I used endsleigh for insurance for my first year and my quote was £90 even though I was in halls, so quite a lot of unis do not cover your possessions.

Leekey, you'll prob find that ordinary insurance won't cover such small amounts - you need to be covering at least £15,000 with most of those companies.

(Original post by sas104)
    Leekey, you'll prob find that ordinary insurance won't cover such small amounts - you need to be covering at least £15,000 with most of those companies.
    I'd rather pay vastly over the odds than risk getting my stuff stolen and then getting inadequate funds with which to replace them. I have a recurring nightmare where the contents of my wardrobe goes missing and I have to spend the next 18 years rebuilding it. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    and im going to be in a halls of residence.

with endsleigh its actually about 8 quid more if i go to exeter rather than oxford! would imagine if you're in london and not in halls, itll be quite a lot.
    that might be something to do with exeter covering all students in university accomodation and not with endsleigh - so they have to make some money somewhere.

coincidentally i had a leaflet this morning from saxon (ie norwich union's student bit) the people who covered me in exeter last year asking if i want cover this year, but i belive my dads home insurace will cover me anyway.

their cover has lots of options and basically goes from £25-45 for basic insurance depending on where you study...big student cities being the most expensive.

saxon insurance

pm me if you want more details, i wont throw the leaflet out yet!!

love Katy ***

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.