Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    A barge of mass 4 tonnes is pulled in a straight line by two tugs with an acceleration of 0.6 ms^-2. The tension in one tow-rope is 1800N and the tension in the other is 1650N. Given that the angles the ropes make with the direction of motion are 20 degrees and X respectively, find angle X and the resistance to motion of the barge.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Deffect)
    A barge of mass 4 tonnes is pulled in a straight line by two tugs with an acceleration of 0.6 ms^-2. The tension in one tow-rope is 1800N and the tension in the other is 1650N. Given that the angles the ropes make with the direction of motion are 20 degrees and X respectively, find angle X and the resistance to motion of the barge.
    Any thoughts? Attempts? Diagrams?

ReputationRep:
    Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 67
Size:  3.4 KB i don't know resisting dforces , two type of forces are unknown
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    i don't know resisting dforces , two type of forces are unknown
    Here's an overhead view of the situation.

I'd start by resolving forces perpendicular to the line of motion.

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  15.0 KB

ReputationRep:
    only horizontal motion in this question , ( tugboats can't rise it )
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    only horizontal motion in this question , ( tugboats can't rise it )
    Either you're trolling, or you have a problem with english.

It's an overhead view, i.e. as seen from above. Everything is taking place at ground level.

If you look at your own diagram, you have weight going down, so your "tugs" are flying!

ReputationRep:
    my native language isn't English i'm in 9th grade in my country (English language is very weaker in my country ) ( i don't study igcse , in this year i started with math A level , this a first time in study mechanics)
    i think upthrust force can ignored because a heavy barge ( but when i read it again ( in straight road )) so this is problem
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    my native language isn't English i'm in 9th grade in my country (English language is very weaker in my country )
    I suggest adding that to your profile so people are aware of it - currently there is nothing there.

( i don't study igcse , in this year i started with math A level , this a first time in study mechanics)
    i think upthrust force can ignored because a heavy barge ( but when i read it again ( in straight road )) so this is problem
    You need to look at the barge from above, as if in an aeroplane, or from the point of view of a bird flying overhead.

The barge is travelling in a straight line. The two tugs are pulling at an angle, one to the right, and one to the left.

The weight does not come into it. Although the mass does when considering the acceleration along the line of movement.

ReputationRep:
    because in straight line so up thrust in one of tugboat will cancel by second boat
    so 1800sin(20)/1650=sin(X) so x= 21.9077 degree
    acceleration is 0.6 ms^-2 so 0.6*4*1000=1800cos (20)+1650cos(21.9077)-J, j=822.2935N
    is correct answer? thanks
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    because in straight line so up thrust in one of tugboat will cancel by second boat
    so 1800sin(20)/1650=sin(X) so x= 21.9077 degree
    acceleration is 0.6 ms^-2 so 0.6*4*1000=1800cos (20)+1650cos(21.9077)-J, j=822.2935N
    is correct answer? thanks
    Yes, those are the correct answers.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 11, 2017
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.