The Student Room Group

F1 2017 season chat thread

2017 F1 season chat thread :woo:

Note: this will be the thread used throughout the season as you will always be subscribed

Teams/drivers:
Mercedes - Lewis Hamilton, Valtteri Bottas
Red Bull - Daniel Ricciardo, Max Verstappen
Ferrari - Sebastian Vettel, Kimi Raikkonen
Force India - Sergio Perez, Esteban Ocon
Williams - Felipe Massa, Lance Stroll
McLaren - Fernando Alonso, Stoffel Vandoorne
Toro Rosso - Carlos Sainz, Daniil Kvyat
Haas - Romain Grosjean, Kevin Magnussen
Renault - Nico Hulkenberg, Jolyon Palmer
Sauber - Marcus Ericsson, Pascal Wehrlein

The pre-season talk:
Legend has it that Ferrari still didn't show their hand in pre-season testing, despite setting the fastest lap in Barcelona. Several notable figures went trackside and commented on how planted and stable the Ferrari was through the high speed and low speed corners; surely a good sign for the Maranello outfit as normally a good chassis in pre-season testing means you have a 'solid' car.

Mercedes a little underwhelming but everyone suspects they have something up the bag. Same goes for Red Bull, who many believe are not showing their full car until Melbourne.

Force India reckon they can go one better this season and finish third in the constructors championship :rofl: they later admitted that there is a big gap ahead to the front three (Merc, RB and Ferrari). Renault had the best looking rear :sogood: and Kevin Magnussen reckons the Haas Dallara-designed chassis is equally as good as the McLaren/Renault he drove previously, which shows that they may have a decent package; Grosjean still hindered by the brake issues that frustrated him last season.

Can Lance Stroll really show himself to be a quality racer? Time will tell, but I seem to think that he will get the better of Massa in the latter stages of the season.

Honda having a shocker in pre-season :lol: McLaren were looking to Mercedes to supply their engines if Honda continue to flop

--------------------------------------------------------
Anyway enough of me, get posting, now :colone:

Feel free to post anything F1 related or about the upcoming race/previous race (remember no swearing, discrimination or crap, otherwise you will be reported.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Its been a while but F1 is finally back!

new cars, new regs, new drivers, new game?

Australian GP weekend will be broadcasted exclusively via Sky this week.

FP1 - 01:00-2:30 Friday 24th March 2017

FP2 - 05:00-06:30 Friday 24th March 2017

FP3 - 03:00 - 04:00 Saturday 25th March 2017

Qualifying show - 05:00- 08:00

Race Show - 04:30 - 09:00
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by quasa
Its been a while but F1 is finally back!

new cars, new regs, new drivers, new game?

Australian GP weekend will be broadcasted exclusively via Sky this week.

FP1 - 01:00-2:30 Friday 24th March 2017

FP2 - 05:00-06:30 Friday 24th March 2017

FP3 - 03:00 - 04:00 Saturday 25th March 2017

Qualifying show - 05:00- 08:00

Race Show - 04:30 - 09:00

Hey quasa, we're gonna keep the F1 chat to one thread as it has worked well like that in previous years but will keep discussing the current/previous races in one thread so it is easy to keep up! I used some of your post in the first post of the thread, hopefully this season is a good one with some exciting races. Who are you cheering on to win the race? :smile: :biggrin:
Original post by James A
Hey quasa, we're gonna keep the F1 chat to one thread as it has worked well like that in previous years but will keep discussing the current/previous races in one thread so it is easy to keep up! I used some of your post in the first post of the thread, hopefully this season is a good one with some exciting races. Who are you cheering on to win the race? :smile: :biggrin:

I was going ask how to merge the threads :lol:

I myself have been a massive scuderia ferrari fan most of my life and have been a fan of vettel since his 1st press conference as a winner (the virginity quip was classic). so yeah, fingers crossed for ferrari,

used to be a hamilton fan when he was with ASM/ART in f3/GP2 but when he went to f1, I stopped supporting him as he was driving for the opposition.

mclaren am glad to see struggling. driver market should be interesting (I have a sneaky suspicion we may see lewis and sebastian in the same car next year...in red).
Original post by quasa
I was going ask how to merge the threads :lol:

I myself have been a massive scuderia ferrari fan most of my life and have been a fan of vettel since his 1st press conference as a winner (the virginity quip was classic). so yeah, fingers crossed for ferrari,

used to be a hamilton fan when he was with ASM/ART in f3/GP2 but when he went to f1, I stopped supporting him as he was driving for the opposition.

mclaren am glad to see struggling. driver market should be interesting (I have a sneaky suspicion we may see lewis and sebastian in the same car next year...in red).

haha I'm a mod for the sports section so tsr let me have the powers to move/merge threads etc!

As for me, I like alot of the drivers, I preferred lewis at mclaren than at mercedes lol (mclaren will always seem like home to him especially in the vodafone livery).

Nice! Bet you must be looking forward to the season, Ferrari really showing some good pace, their car was planted to the track. My money is on raikkonen as the new regs may bring him back to his mclaren days when the cars were alot faster then.

Yeah I got a feeling lewis will be leaving mercedes, especially if they can no longer produce a title winning car. Hopefully ferrari can be in the mix with merc and red bull
Original post by James A
haha I'm a mod for the sports section so tsr let me have the powers to move/merge threads etc!

As for me, I like alot of the drivers, I preferred lewis at mclaren than at mercedes lol (mclaren will always seem like home to him especially in the vodafone livery).

Nice! Bet you must be looking forward to the season, Ferrari really showing some good pace, their car was planted to the track. My money is on raikkonen as the new regs may bring him back to his mclaren days when the cars were alot faster then.

Yeah I got a feeling lewis will be leaving mercedes, especially if they can no longer produce a title winning car. Hopefully ferrari can be in the mix with merc and red bull

we'll have t wait and see when lights go out sunday I guess.

vodafone for me always felt more at home on ferrari tbh. the vodafone logo looked much better on the sidepods than UPS and loved the adverts with schumi and barrichello. (#forzamichael)
we need some technical posts as well.

in terms of innovations from testing ferrari and mercedes definitely looked the most innovative. all the teams rather unsually had distinctive features designwise to each other but also different means of trying to acheive what they want.

mercedes and torro rosso cars both had similar front ends in the sense that they had the tallest suspensionsand rather interesting wheel mountings (wishbones mounted to mini wings mounted to wheels). the mercedes has an interesting interpretation of sidepod elements and has what appears to be the narrowest coke bottle / cooling outlets at the rear.

ferrari definitely has the most bizarre sidepods (rory byrne strikes again!) but is definitely good for rear downforce and engine airflow. additionally ferrari have returned to using an s-duct for the 1st time since 2008 (they themselves reintroduced it for 1st time since 1977 lotus) but have evolved it into an X-duct. on top of this, ferrari are introducing 3D printed engine parts later in the year, so that could be interesting.

red bull had a very basic car in testing and have generally been about designing efficient cars vs outright downforce cars for the last few years (which is how they are able to deal with overtaking better than most in last year in particular). some parts are expected for australia but the standout part from testing was the pingu nose which is a more elegant clone of the force india nose.

most of the other cars looked like slightly modified 2016 cars although mclaren looks like the shredder as a racecar. aerowise, it has gone for the opposite of redbull in the sense of generating 'dirty' downforce but will likely suffer in the turbulence of another car (conversely cars will suffer behind it). sadly the honda engine has been unreliable this year due to vibration / design issues but trackside the chassis doesnt look as good as most top or even some midfield teams.
Original post by quasa
we need some technical posts as well.

in terms of innovations from testing ferrari and mercedes definitely looked the most innovative. all the teams rather unsually had distinctive features designwise to each other but also different means of trying to acheive what they want.

mercedes and torro rosso cars both had similar front ends in the sense that they had the tallest suspensionsand rather interesting wheel mountings (wishbones mounted to mini wings mounted to wheels). the mercedes has an interesting interpretation of sidepod elements and has what appears to be the narrowest coke bottle / cooling outlets at the rear.

ferrari definitely has the most bizarre sidepods (rory byrne strikes again!) but is definitely good for rear downforce and engine airflow. additionally ferrari have returned to using an s-duct for the 1st time since 2008 (they themselves reintroduced it for 1st time since 1977 lotus) but have evolved it into an X-duct. on top of this, ferrari are introducing 3D printed engine parts later in the year, so that could be interesting.

red bull had a very basic car in testing and have generally been about designing efficient cars vs outright downforce cars for the last few years (which is how they are able to deal with overtaking better than most in last year in particular). some parts are expected for australia but the standout part from testing was the pingu nose which is a more elegant clone of the force india nose.

most of the other cars looked like slightly modified 2016 cars although mclaren looks like the shredder as a racecar. aerowise, it has gone for the opposite of redbull in the sense of generating 'dirty' downforce but will likely suffer in the turbulence of another car (conversely cars will suffer behind it). sadly the honda engine has been unreliable this year due to vibration / design issues but trackside the chassis doesnt look as good as most top or even some midfield teams.

Good analysis here, I was intrigued by the toro rosso and mercedes having a similar design philosophy with the front and James Key said it was by pure coincidence and not that they copied mercedes.

Everyone was amazed at the rear of the Renault on the launch day :love:

With the more durable tyres, I reckon we will see alot more late braking moves, I'm curious as hamilton was notorious for braking the latest and overtaking back in 2007/2008; max will also be one to watch. I wanna see outbraking manouvres like the one hamilton pulled on raikkonen at monza 07, the guy was still braking through the corner! One of the maddest overtakes in lewis' career

Magnussen was also impressed by the chassis that dallara came up with
Original post by James A
Good analysis here, I was intrigued by the toro rosso and mercedes having a similar design philosophy with the front and James Key said it was by pure coincidence and not that they copied mercedes.

Everyone was amazed at the rear of the Renault on the launch day :love:

With the more durable tyres, I reckon we will see alot more late braking moves, I'm curious as hamilton was notorious for braking the latest and overtaking back in 2007/2008; max will also be one to watch. I wanna see outbraking manouvres like the one hamilton pulled on raikkonen at monza 07, the guy was still braking through the corner! One of the maddest overtakes in lewis' career

Magnussen was also impressed by the chassis that dallara came up with

wahaay, found out your a pharm student (Im a pharmacist / passed prereg in 2015).

the renault rearend doesnt look that good imo. tis a shame the support beam cant be joined to the drs actuator (was wandering why noone did it, tis illegal). dalarra a lot of people seem to forget has a pedigree of chassis design in multiple series. theyre the guys who made the audi LMP1 chassis' ,as well as indycar chassis, GP2 chassis and super formula chassis. dallarra are probably the number 1 customer chassis manufacturer on the planet imo.
Original post by quasa
wahaay, found out your a pharm student (Im a pharmacist / passed prereg in 2015).

the renault rearend doesnt look that good imo. tis a shame the support beam cant be joined to the drs actuator (was wandering why noone did it, tis illegal). dalarra a lot of people seem to forget has a pedigree of chassis design in multiple series. theyre the guys who made the audi LMP1 chassis' ,as well as indycar chassis, GP2 chassis and super formula chassis. dallarra are probably the number 1 customer chassis manufacturer on the planet imo.

What a coincidence!

Yeah that is true, dallarra know how to make a good chassis, its great to see they can do it on a big stage like f1 and lmp1.
Original post by James A
What a coincidence!

Yeah that is true, dallarra know how to make a good chassis, its great to see they can do it on a big stage like f1 and lmp1.

I know right?!

that being said, dont forget that HRT (which to us means something else apart from hispania/holdern racing team) were also dallara chassis. that being said, they didnt have the benefit of having ferrari data / input (although they did have a williams gearbox).

what is peculiar is that haas has a similar arrangement to redbull and caterham yet caterham in 5 years of racing didn't match haas in 1 season. makes you think doesnt it
Original post by quasa
I know right?!

that being said, dont forget that HRT (which to us means something else apart from hispania/holdern racing team) were also dallara chassis. that being said, they didnt have the benefit of having ferrari data / input (although they did have a williams gearbox).

what is peculiar is that haas has a similar arrangement to redbull and caterham yet caterham in 5 years of racing didn't match haas in 1 season. makes you think doesnt it

Food for thought :holmes:
hamilton and vettel are still denying they are faster than the other.

also, the vestappen rule has been revoked (cue more "honestly?!" from sebby)
Original post by quasa
hamilton and vettel are still denying they are faster than the other.

also, the vestappen rule has been revoked (cue more "honestly?!" from sebby)

"honestlyyyyyyyyy tell him to get out of the way!"
Original post by James A
"honestlyyyyyyyyy tell him to get out of the way!"

"honestly blue flag blue flag"
So for the full 2017 season we're just going to use this one thread?

Anyway I'm so excited for the 2017 season to get underway, huge Sebastian Vettel fan here so naturally supporting Ferrari. What I want more this season than Vettel winning (which is what I'd ideally like to see) is just some competition all the way throughout the grid, don't get me wrong I've loved every season of F1 I've watched (since 2009) but it needs competition to get new viewers. Watching Mercedes win every race (bar 8 I think?) of the past 3 seasons has gotten a little tiring, the Red Bull glory days were no where near as dominant as the W05, 06 and 07 have been. A 3 way fight between Ferrari, Mercedes and Red Bull would be ideal.

Working in retail I don't get to watch every race live as I work my fair share of Sundays, off this weekend though! :smile: I'll be watching FP1 at 1am Friday morning though, will have to give FP2 a miss so I'm not nearly falling asleep at work though.

So who is everyone's pick for the championship? I'm feeling really positive about Ferrari this year but it's been the case in 2015/16 after testing on the eve of the first Grand Prix of the season. Hopefully Vettel will win his 5th. Reckon Bottas may prove more of a challenge than Hamilton is expecting as well, well I hope he does.
Original post by Robbo-92
So for the full 2017 season we're just going to use this one thread?

Anyway I'm so excited for the 2017 season to get underway, huge Sebastian Vettel fan here so naturally supporting Ferrari. What I want more this season than Vettel winning (which is what I'd ideally like to see) is just some competition all the way throughout the grid, don't get me wrong I've loved every season of F1 I've watched (since 2009) but it needs competition to get new viewers. Watching Mercedes win every race (bar 8 I think?) of the past 3 seasons has gotten a little tiring, the Red Bull glory days were no where near as dominant as the W05, 06 and 07 have been. A 3 way fight between Ferrari, Mercedes and Red Bull would be ideal.

Working in retail I don't get to watch every race live as I work my fair share of Sundays, off this weekend though! :smile: I'll be watching FP1 at 1am Friday morning though, will have to give FP2 a miss so I'm not nearly falling asleep at work though.

So who is everyone's pick for the championship? I'm feeling really positive about Ferrari this year but it's been the case in 2015/16 after testing on the eve of the first Grand Prix of the season. Hopefully Vettel will win his 5th. Reckon Bottas may prove more of a challenge than Hamilton is expecting as well, well I hope he does.

similar age (born in 91 lad myself) but been following f1 since late 90s (well used to watch in 98 & 99. stopped till japanese GP 2000 where ferrari broke their 21 year duck). stopped watching again till I went to silverstone in 2002 and been hocked back since then.

completely agree with merc being way too dominant. ferrari may have won 8 out of 10 constructors and 6 of 10 drivers between 1999 and 2008 but they nowhere near dominated them. in fact 99, 2000, 2001, 2003 and 2007 they didnt even have the best cars yet they were able to extract the most of what they had.

similarly people think vettel dominated 4 years but a lot people dont seem to remember that 2010 was a 5 way battle for the championship between both red bulls, both mclarens and fernando alonso. similarly 2012 redbull had the 2nd fastest car behind mclaren and 2nd most reliable after ferrari yet vettel managed to win those championships.even the 1st part of 2013 you could argue ferrari had a better car than red bull (fastest in australia, china and spain + if alonso didnt have wing problems in china and bahrain he would have been leading into the summer that year). unfortunately redbull outdeveloped ferrari in 2013 summer and 2011 were too dominant (but not as bad as merc).

debating whether to pull an all nighter or get up early to watch both fp1 and 2 (as it is I tend to get up between 4 and 5 am anyways).

predicting the championship no comment but I support ferrari so lets wait and see
(edited 6 years ago)
dag nammit, mercedes look to be dominant again (well hamilton is). looks like well have to wait till quali to find out who is where in melbourne (and later in the year to determine a real pecking order).

on the plus side, the cars look so much better on track and the f12017 game will suit my driving style more
Well, here we go, another exciting F1 season is underway. Been following on-and-off since the days of Webber and Vettel dominating the scoreboards at RB, but this time I'm properly getting into it :smile: #hamiltonftw
Goodness Hamilton seems to be on it..... Was hoping for some decent racing as well! Hopefully Bottas will fare better in qualy and the race than he did in FP1/2.

Hopefully Ferrari are still sand bagging as well.

Quick Reply