Should we give unemployed people benefits?

Watch
Ladbants
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
If someone is not working, why should they get free money from hard working taxpayers that do work? Why don't they join the military? Why don't we spend the money we spend on benefits on education to help these people gain skills for work or on infrastructure programs or the military which can create jobs?
username1884577
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Because some people have disabilites????
username1884577
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Exactly. Benefits. OP didn't specify.
username3027362
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If we don't give them benefits then we'd have a lot more homeless people
username3012046
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
There will always be some unemployment. It's the way the economy works.

Not all taxpayers are hardworking.

Some people paying tax have essentially had everything handed down to them - those who have inherited money or businesses, for example.

Some unemployed people are working harder than some taxpayers - whether volunteering, caring for somebody, or raising children.

The proportion of tax money being spent on the welfare bill is minimal compared to the tax being spent on things such as the military and MP's expenses.

So yes, we should pay the unemployed (assuming we're not complete ********s).
Ham22
Badges: 15
Report 3 years ago
What are they going to live on if they don't get benefits?
999tigger
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Ladbants)
If someone is not working, why should they get free money from hard working taxpayers that do work? Why don't they join the military?
Perhaps they have worked and therefore paid for their own benefits?

Why should you get a free education (wasted)?

Why dont they join the military?Ermmm because they might not have the right skills and the armed fores are shrinking so they dont need x million extra unemployed people as its a professional army. Your posts are a dumb as ever.
Ladbants
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Perhaps they have worked and therefore paid for their own benefits?

Why should you get a free education (wasted)?

Why dont they join the military?Ermmm because they might not have the right skills and the armed fores are shrinking so they dont need x million extra unemployed people as its a professional army. Your posts are a dumb as ever.
Because my parents pay for education in taxes.
And why not use the money spent on Jobseeker's Allowance and other benefits on infrastructure projects or reducing business taxes which will create economic growth and more jobs for everyone.
Ladbants
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ham22)
What are they going to live on if they don't get benefits?
They could find another job
username1884577
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Well it clearly wasn't, was it? Many individuals on disability benefits are unemployed.
It wouldn't have taken long to clarify.

Either way this is dumb
frostfly
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hell to the no
username1884577
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You mean the OP that has since been edited?
.( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°).
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Believe it or not handing out benefits will actually increase employment in a number of ways. 1) People will be able to travel to job interviews etc, and stay healthy/representable for attending the interviews. 2) Most importantly, it will create employment via the multiplier effect, in which the people receiving unemployment benefit will spend this money in various areas of the economy such as supermarkets which increases the demand for supermarket workers and so supermarkets take on more workers, then there are more people with a larger disposable income and so they again spend more of this in other areas creating the demand for work in these areas and the cycle continues.

In regards o people who are unemployed joining the military, frictional unemployment is when people are briefly unemployed when they finish uni or are switching between jobs, so why should they join the military?

Finally, nobody will ever get rid of unemployment benefit. It would simply be political suicide.
username3012046
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Good luck if you find yourself unemployed in the future. Sometimes you can't get a job, but - and this might shock you - your body still wants you to eat, and your landlord still has the cheek to demand rent!
Ham22
Badges: 15
Report 3 years ago
One of the conditions of receiving unemployment benefits is to look for work, so they are already trying to find another job. What do you suggest they do in the meantime?
stirkee
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Assuming they're actively trying to find a job (or are trying to obtain the skills necessary to get a job, etc) then absolutely.
Dodgypirate
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
They should if they're actively looking for a job, and there's evidence to support it. If not, they definitely shouldn't.
.( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°).
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Also, this was the original post by OP "If someone is not working, why should they get free money from hard working taxpayers that do work? Why don't they join the military?" sounds rather cynical to me and that he just has a problem with unemployed people and is trying to cover his tracks by adding the bit about infrastructure and education on the end...
RF_PineMarten
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
And if (as is highly likely) they can't find another job immediately they'll end up homeless or dead.

I'm sick and tired of this "they should just get another job" argument being used about benefits. It really isn't that simple, and I suspect a lot of the people making it are young teens who've never actually tried to apply for jobs and don't realise just how difficult and time consuming it is.

Yes, unemployed people should get benefits.

And as for the military, the government has absolutely no right to force people into the military. It's that person's decision to make and their decision only - not yours or anyone else's.
username1884577
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
:rofl:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (287)
55.73%
I don't have everything I need (228)
44.27%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed