The Student Room Group

Do you think your Maintenance loan will be enough to live on?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
My rent was at least £500 more than my loan for the first two years, last year it barely covered it, and this year I have about £1,000 left.
£4193 maintenance loan... 42 weeks annual rent comes to £5952.

So no, my maintenance loan is not going to be enough to live on. I'm going to try to find a job over summer, and I'm going to look for university jobs as soon as I get there. I've got some savings, but because I'm studying Environmental Science and there are a few out-of-the-country field trips, I'm going to try to save them for that.

In my second year hopefully I'll find cheaper accommodation - it's just because I wanted city centre accommodation in halls with an en-suite bathroom.

I'm not really eligible for any scholarships or bursaries as far as I know. There are a couple for very high grades, so I suppose I won't know about that until I get my results. I'm also going to look into the BP scholarships a bit more :smile:
Original post by Gingerbread101
I get the minimum loan (£3821) and because I'm catered, my accommodation costs around £7000... so nope :tongue:

Wow £7000!!!!!!!!!!! My firm uni catered option doesn't even cost that much, I'm guessing yours is both large en-suite room & catered?? Do you have a job or get scholarships or something to fund the extra 4000 in addition to living costs like food etc??

Original post by Kravence
Comp Sci, you?

L O L same, you're like the billionth person I've found on TSR who is also planning to study Computer Science at Kent :smile:

Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
I'll get about £6000 and my accommodation costs about £4.8k? I went for the cheapest option because I'm stuck in the middle (so my parents have money but not enough to throw at me every month). Hopefully though I'll be working all summer to save up and will be doing the same during uni.

Ahhh kk well at least your loan covers your accommodation costs, anyway, I wish you the best of luck for university :smile:

Original post by Steljoy
Exactly in the same situation as you actually! I just think if I work (as in job) I can pay it off and live in a okay- ish state! :rofl:

But remember, the more we get the more we will have to pay off sooo yeah.... :rofl:

:h:

To be honest, I didn't even think of it in that perspective, but yeah true :lol:

Original post by Fadel
Ha, I'm also planning to go to Kent. Still stuck on the accomodation options.

Nice!!!! What are you planning on studying & what accommodation choices are you debating on??

Original post by MKaur18
It depends on how much you decide to spend on other things eg clothes. But u dont rly need clothes; your main proirity is food. If you can buy that i guess your good to go.

True! I have a huge haul of clothes so I doubt I'll be buying more clothes during university, unless something catches my eye :rolleyes: I'm planning on writing meal plans during the summer for university etc. to help me plan out how much I'll be spending on food & what I'll be eating every week etc. Overall, I'm organised af so I doubt I'll run short of money.
Reply 23
Nice!!!! What are you planning on studying & what accommodation choices are you debating on??

Computer systems engineering. Part-catered accomodation is fishy because you have to evacuate the rooms during holidays, and they run for a shorter period of time. The houses (forgot the full name) are alright because they're less home-sickening, large, and shared by less people. They're also the cheapest. Then I read through the agreements and stuff and they ban many kitchen appliances, adapters and extensions have to be bought from the university market. Sounds like a good plan to shove overpriced products for great profit. Very mixed feelings about it.
Original post by squirrology
Wow £7000!!!!!!!!!!! My firm uni catered option doesn't even cost that much, I'm guessing yours is both large en-suite room & catered?? Do you have a job or get scholarships or something to fund the extra 4000 in addition to living costs like food etc??

Durham accommodation is just really expensive - I have a standard single room with a shared bathroom :redface: but yeah catering covers all meals. The rest comes out of my savings, I'm never eligible for scholarships (the reason I have minimum loan is because I come from a high income family) so I have a bit stored up to pay for it. I'll work during the summer to top it up, so it should just about last me to the end of uni and I'll graduate with literally no money
Original post by Amefish
£4193 maintenance loan... 42 weeks annual rent comes to £5952.

So no, my maintenance loan is not going to be enough to live on. I'm going to try to find a job over summer, and I'm going to look for university jobs as soon as I get there. I've got some savings, but because I'm studying Environmental Science and there are a few out-of-the-country field trips, I'm going to try to save them for that.

In my second year hopefully I'll find cheaper accommodation - it's just because I wanted city centre accommodation in halls with an en-suite bathroom.

I'm not really eligible for any scholarships or bursaries as far as I know. There are a couple for very high grades, so I suppose I won't know about that until I get my results. I'm also going to look into the BP scholarships a bit more :smile:

I'm in the same situation as you buddy. £3.9k maintenance and £6.2k accomodation. I was fortunate enough to find a part time job a couple months ago that take into account my college hours but it's a real slap in the face hearing people getting like £8-9k maintenance and worrying about their finances while the rest of us have to slave our arses off and still won't even come close to the amount they get.

I'm not wealthy, I'm not well-off, my dad is. I'm a broke af student working 40 hours a week (including college time, excluding external time for studying and assignments).

L O L same, you're like the billionth person I've found on TSR who is also planning to study Computer Science at Kent :smile:

:rofl: same here, almost everyone I've spoken to about going to kent applied to study comp sci.

Must be a TSR thing

Ahhh kk well at least your loan covers your accommodation costs, anyway, I wish you the best of luck for university :smile:

To be honest, I didn't even think of it in that perspective, but yeah true :lol:

True! I have a huge haul of clothes so I doubt I'll be buying more clothes during university, unless something catches my eye :rolleyes: I'm planning on writing meal plans during the summer for university etc. to help me plan out how much I'll be spending on food & what I'll be eating every week etc. Overall, I'm organised af so I doubt I'll run short of money.

You'll be fine; don't stress xxx
After taking away accommodation costs... I'm going to be living on £42 a week.... So. no.
I'm getting £7000 and I'm living at home (London). I think that will be more than enough
Original post by Mike7666
That's not the minimum, I'm only getting £3,421

As far as I knew last year I was on the minimum, it's not a competition :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending