The Student Room Group

Second Interview tips?

So I got a call today after an assessment centre last week and I was invited to a second interview at their London office with hiring managers and people in the department who did not get to meet me on the day. They've said that this is because I scored similarly to a couple of other people and they'd like to meet us in person as we all have different skill sets and qualities and generally to see what we are like. Haven't been given any details if its informal, one on one, or a panel interview.

Any tips on how to succeed?

Getting the vibe this is to see if I'm "human"?
Original post by TheAlienHooker
So I got a call today after an assessment centre last week and I was invited to a second interview at their London office with hiring managers and people in the department who did not get to meet me on the day. They've said that this is because I scored similarly to a couple of other people and they'd like to meet us in person as we all have different skill sets and qualities and generally to see what we are like. Haven't been given any details if its informal, one on one, or a panel interview.

Yes, these interviews are largely about 'fit'. They know you have the skills to do the job, but a) do they want to work with you and b) do you have the best breadth of skills (it seems in this case).

Don't get freaked out and go over the top in an attempt to be their favourite, but try to present yourself in terms of a person they'd really like to work with, friendly, engaged, listens well, smiles etc. Remember, they positively like you at this stage, you just want them to like you the best!
Original post by TheAlienHooker

Show enthusiasm for the role and the organisation, show that you know about the organisation, ask good questions.
Reply 3
My biggest tip is to seriously research the company and programme. This means researching the industry (maybe do a SWOT analysis), read relevant current affairs, make sure you know the organisational values like the back of your hands and find out about the company strategy if you can.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I agree with the comments above. they are trying to get to know you further and see if you are a good match for their company and the team. Try to be yourself, but make sure you are showing them the best of yourself!

You said you were unsure what type of interview it will be like. Don't be afraid to drop them a call or email to find out more about the setting so that you are better prepared.

You can check out the Milkround Ultimate Interview Guide for more interview tips: http://advice.milkround.com/ultimate-job-interview-guide-well-job-interviews

Good luck and let us know how you get on!

Quick Reply

Latest